Edge gives some hints on the setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's be realistic: If U2 were to EVER drop the following songs, casual fans would be, and rightly so, demanding their money back:

Streets
Pride
Sunday Bloody Sunday
With Or Without You
One
possibly even New Years Day

And to be honest I'd be pissed too. I don't care if I see Streets 1000 times live, it MUST BE PLAYED. EVERY TIME.

So we should stop rambling on about what can't possibly happen and focus on being realistic about the 4-8 maximum 'slots' that they could be flexible on.

i couldnt agree more. Not only the casual fans but the fans who havent had a chance to see them 10+ times or more.

I remember the first time I ever saw them they didnt sing MY or NYD...come to think of it, I've yet to hear NYD live.

Let's be realistic: If U2 were to EVER drop the following songs, casual fans would be, and rightly so, demanding their money back:

Streets
Pride
Sunday Bloody Sunday
With Or Without You
One

And to be honest I'd be pissed too. I don't care if I see Streets 1000 times live, it MUST BE PLAYED. EVERY TIME.

So we should stop rambling on about what can't possibly happen and focus on being realistic about the 4-8 maximum 'slots' that they could be flexible on.

The only staples are Streets and Pride; the rest should be dropped! U2 has a huge catalogue guys, the 360 Tour is going to be a multimedia event and will need the music to back it up - a lot of the old warhorses won't work with the new tour. U2 has plenty of time in the future to do a laid back, boring arena greatest hits tour.

The only staples are Streets and Pride; the rest should be dropped! U2 has a huge catalogue guys, the 360 Tour is going to be a multimedia event and will need the music to back it up - a lot of the old warhorses won't work with the new tour. U2 has plenty of time in the future to do a laid back, boring arena greatest hits tour.

um, there is no way you can convince me that any of the songs I listed are a. not staples or b. not going to work in the new tour no matter what type of multimedia event it is - every tour since ZOO has been a major multimedia event and all those songs have always been staples. There are 6-10 staples. The songs I listed are the main ones and they aren't going anywhere, trust that.

Here are some of the songs they should give a rest in order to make way for others:

The Fly
Until The End of the World
Elevation
Vertigo
City of Blinding Lights
I Will Follow
Miss Sarajevo
Beautiful Day (although this is arguably a staple)
etc etc

I don't see them losing Bullet The Blue Sky, it's only the single most played U2 song ever or something close to it (and one of my favorites too)

Streets and One are the big staples, followed by Pride - and I'd now argue Beautiful Day and Vertigo are as well.

Streets
Pride
Sunday Bloody Sunday
With Or Without You
One

they did drop sbs, and nyd for the whole opening leg of zootv, and sbs was played sparingly during popmart. i remember being upset, but only slightly. zootv was my first time seeing u2, so i wanted those. the show was still incredible. nyd was only played about half the time during vertigo. u2 has so many songs, they can get away with not playing those. they won't ever shelve all of them at the same time, but i don't see a problem with rotating all of those, except streets.

as far as the casual fans being upset, it depends on how old they are. if you are early 20's or younger and a 'casual' fan, you may not care too much about hearing any of those songs.

they did drop sbs, and nyd for the whole opening leg of zootv, and sbs was played sparingly during popmart. ....

Yes, however that was 4 tours ago and this is now. There is a ton of material from those tours that will likely never get played again. As the band gets more material, their 'must play' list gets bigger and the songs that make up that list gravitate more and more to the most popular songs of their entire career as they have to play something for all ages of U2 fans. I can see a 6-8 song staple list, for sure.

I agree... a u2 concert would not be the same without streets. They can do anythin they like but they MUST KEEP STREETS!!!

Yes, however that was 4 tours ago and this is now. There is a ton of material from those tours that will likely never get played again. As the band gets more material, their 'must play' list gets bigger and the songs that make up that list gravitate more and more to the most popular songs of their entire career as they have to play something for all ages of U2 fans. I can see a 6-8 song staple list, for sure.

i agree there may be a 6-8 song list, it just won't the 6-8 you were originally saying. they have already dropped nyd from lots of shows (on the last tour- it was only played about 1/2 the time) and wowoy at some shows. beautiful day, and vertigo will be played every show, where as recent history suggests that wowoy and nyd will not be played at every show (most, but not everyone).

if i had the bet on songs that are played everynight (not including nloth tracks) on this tour it will be:
1. streets
2. vertigo (this counts as a staple for this tour)
3. beautiful day
4. pride
5. sbs
6. one

(bullet the blue sky- i am hoping edge was thinking of this when he said they were going to stop playing some that had been played a lot).

other than that, the recent history suggests they will not be played every night (especially nyd- while played frequently has not been an every show staple in some time.)

i agree there may be a 6-8 song list, it just won't the 6-8 you were originally saying. they have already dropped nyd from lots of shows (on the last tour- it was only played about 1/2 the time) and wowoy at some shows. beautiful day, and vertigo will be played every show, where as recent history suggests that wowoy and nyd will not be played at every show (most, but not everyone).

if i had the bet on songs that are played everynight (not including nloth tracks) on this tour it will be:
1. streets
2. vertigo (this counts as a staple for this tour)
3. beautiful day
4. pride
5. sbs
6. one

(bullet the blue sky- i am hoping edge was thinking of this when he said they were going to stop playing some that had been played a lot).

other than that, the recent history suggests they will not be played every night (especially nyd- while played frequently has not been an every show staple in some time.)

Streets and Pride are the only 2 U2 staples. Period. Anything else is up for grabs....WOWY, SBS, BTBS and NYD I can see being dropped...they've been playing those songs since the 80's, time to move on, not every tour needs to have the same set list.

I'll take Lemon, HMTMKMKM and Your Blue Room over those beaten up war-horses anyday! :drool:

Streets and Pride are the only 2 U2 staples. Period. Anything else is up for grabs....WOWY, SBS, BTBS and NYD I can see being dropped...they've been playing those songs since the 80's, time to move on, not every tour needs to have the same set list.

I'll take Lemon, HMTMKMKM and Your Blue Room over those beaten up war-horses anyday! :drool:

you honestly think one, beautiful day, and vertigo will be rotated on this tour? i wouldn't mind at all if they were, but there is no way.

I'm sorry, but this is kind of BS and veeery selfish.
I take exactly 12 friends with me to see the 360'Tour show.
Do you think they care about LT? or Lemon? or even ASOH/Mofo/Acrobat or "insert-any-fan-dream-song-here"?
No! They want One, MW, WOWY, ISHFWILF, WTSHNN, Pride, SBS, NYD, BD, Vertigo...
And as much as I would like to see them play Boomerang on every show we have to remember that 80-90% of the audience want to hear almost every song from U218 (yeah, I know :doh:).
They always play something for us (songs for "trainspotters" and "plainspotters" as Bono said :up:), so we should just enjoy the "warhorses" with the rest of the stadium and be happy we're in the minority knowing every lyric to some rare/less known songs.

Do you think they care about LT? or Lemon? or even ASOH/Mofo/Acrobat or "insert-any-fan-dream-song-here"?
quote]

Wow, settle down and read the title of this thread - we're speculating (this is what a U2 forum is all about) the set-list based on the Edge's comments, he said they will not be playing a lot of the songs from the past 2 tours during 360. No one knows anything until June 30! R-E-L-A-X.

No! They want One, MW, WOWY, ISHFWILF, WTSHNN, Pride, SBS, NYD, BD, Vertigo...
And as much as I would like to see them play Boomerang on every show we have to remember that 80-90% of the audience want to hear almost every song from U218 (yeah, I know :doh:).
They always play something for us (songs for "trainspotters" and "plainspotters" as Bono said :up:), so we should just enjoy the "warhorses" with the rest of the stadium and be happy we're in the minority knowing every lyric to some rare/less known songs.

This is why what I say is the reality of a U2 show. And U2 knows that too. Edge can say whatever he wants - but there are some songs that are musts.

Besides, I like to examine the context and other statements ie does anyone here in their right minds think that 'we were thinking it'd be cool to play Luminous Times' will translate in actuality to them adding it to the set?? :lol:

They dropped Pride for a decent bit of Elevation, and people weren't complaining too much... that song live is an insult to the studio version. It and BTBS are the two warhorses that I'd like to see go the most.

Speaking of BTBS, I'm not really sure why they still play it, anyway... it's not really that well known compared other non-Streets/WOWY/ISHFWILF songs on TJT. And there are many better songs from TJT that could be played in its stead... OTH, for instance (which I would die from happiness to see live).

they didn't play Sunday Bloody Sunday full from 1993-2001 ... This is not a must song. I remember a Springsteen concert in 2003 : people complained he didn't play that many hits. And now we are saying that people will complain .. why? Because they don't hear the hits? Casual fans i would call that. Who only come to concerts to hear those 5 songs blegghh

Lets face it U2 cannot play a bad gig they don't haven enough (if any) bad songs!!!!!!!

no need to worry, either way everyone will be blown away!!!!!!!!!!!!!

except for the haters that go out of there way!!!! oh God I hate those ppl!!!!!!!

well, I wouldn't mind One, WOWY and Pride being dropped ot rorated to get in some other songs they haven't either ever played llive, hardly ever played live or haven't played live in a long time.

my 3 would be
In God's Country ( Edge's shining,shimering, cascading guitar :hyper::love::drool:)
Lady With The Sping Head ( I prefer this way over Ultraviolet which I really like alot)
I Threw A bRICK? oh hell yeah, that'd be great

of course ever one knows Edge would need 3 days of THIS >>> :zen::zen::zen:
rto play Acrobat, but I'd be exultant

And I've always loved BTBS- SUCH a kick-ass song.

I'd miss COBL if it's dropped (it's one of my top 5 U2 songs), but if it means more of NLOTH and some the songs mentioned I could be veddy happy indeed!!!

Still I pretty much I expect to to be filled with wonder, fire & joy for this tour! :bow::yippie::drool:

SBS dropped between 93-01
WOWY dropped most of first leg (at least) of Vertigo Tour
ISHFWILF dropped most of first leg Vertigo Tour

We have a few exemples.... I don't think they will play the best of this tour, but at least 4-5 songs yes (NYD, Streets, Pride, One, WOWY). SBS not sure at all, ISHFWILF not sure at all (hope not), MW not sure....but probably, Bullet, no clue...

Here are some of the songs they should give a rest in order to make way for others:

The Fly
Until The End of the World
Elevation
Vertigo
City of Blinding Lights
I Will Follow
Miss Sarajevo
Beautiful Day (although this is arguably a staple)
etc etc

I don't see them losing Bullet The Blue Sky, it's only the single most played U2 song ever or something close to it (and one of my favorites too)

While I don't agree about Until the End of the World and probably The Fly and Miss Sarajevo, I agree completely about the others. And I also agree about the comment besides Beautiful Day.
The thing I would like to see them do though is to rework some of the songs, which I feel lost their energy during the Vertigo Tour (those would include Bullet the Blue Sky, Where the Streets Have No Name, Sunday Bloody Sunday and One).
Oh and come on U2, out of several hundred songs did you really have to play any song twice a concert? And if you really had to do it, why did you choose one of the worst ones? :hmm:

i think i'm one of the few members here who would be absolutely fine with them playing BTBS.

SBS dropped between 93-01
WOWY dropped most of first leg (at least) of Vertigo Tour
ISHFWILF dropped most of first leg Vertigo Tour

SBS - they had a reason not to play this song
WOWY/ISHF... - they played in arenas

i think i'm one of the few members here who would be absolutely fine with them playing BTBS.

:up: there's at least two of us here :up:

Wow, settle down and read the title of this thread - we're speculating (this is what a U2 forum is all about) the set-list based on the Edge's comments, he said they will not be playing a lot of the songs from the past 2 tours during 360. No one knows anything until June 30! R-E-L-A-X.

I am calm and relaxed, thanks.
It's just that people forget that it's a stadium tour, remember how the setlist changed on Vertigo Tour? Lots of rare songs on leg 1 -ARENAS, a few more "hit songs"/"warhorses" on the 2nd leg -STADIUMS, and then again more rare songs on leg 3.
As for Edge's comments, try: The Fly, Elevation, I Will Follow, UTEOTW...
They will play all/most of their "warhorses", believe me.
The only chance of getting something new is in the cities with 2 or 3 (Dublin) dates.
We are in the minority. They won't play many songs only a hundred or so people in the audience will know.
That's all I'm saying.

I am calm and relaxed, thanks.
It's just that people forget that it's a stadium tour, remember how the setlist changed on Vertigo Tour? Lots of rare songs on leg 1 -ARENAS, a few more "hit songs"/"warhorses" on the 2nd leg -STADIUMS, and then again more rare songs on leg 3.
As for Edge's comments, try: The Fly, Elevation, I Will Follow, UTEOTW...
They will play all/most of their "warhorses", believe me.
The only chance of getting something new is in the cities with 2 or 3 (Dublin) dates.
We are in the minority. They won't play many songs only a hundred or so people in the audience will know.
That's all I'm saying.

I think the scope of this tour is very different, and wouldn't be surprised if they only played a few classics then mixed the rest up. They are aiming for something different this time around. :wink:

On the other hand, this will prolly go down as the greatest concert-event in history, so they may want to play their classics for the DVD.....I'm confused. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom