Drowning man would be HUGE for a diehard like me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellow moog

War Child
I deliberately avoided listening to Drowning Man rehearsals from Barcelona as this song is very precious to me and I didn't know if they could pull it off live but I finally relented and all I can say is : PLAY IT NOW!!!!!!

Let's be honest, for most in the audience it will probably be a toilet break song but for me this would be an absolute live highlight!!!!!Sorry to Acrobat fans but that song pales in comparison to the sheer beauty of this song!!!It has a very special place in my heart.

Unfortunately, tonight is my last gig of this current US tour but who knows? Maybe next year I will get to this amazing highlight!!!

I'd take DM over YBR any day (and especially IGWSHA, which they never pulled out), but that's just me. :shrug: Drowning Man is a song I've grown to really enjoy.

i really don't see it ever being played this tour. our best chance was Barcelona.

At this point in time, its not going to happen.

I imagine that everything that has been played from Barcalona to now ("officially" - setlist not soundchecked) is what they're sticking to. On this leg alone, we have 2 sets of shows (4) with identical setlists to an immediately previous show and we're only 5 shows in. If anything, this tells me that the element of surprise is pretty much out the window. The band seem pretty happy with this.

Tonight should be:

in- YBR, Stay and either End of the World or Pride or Bad
out- Stuck, M Ways, and NYD.

i really don't see it ever being played this tour. our best chance was Barcelona.

We need to come up with perfect segway for the song and somehow suggest it to the band.

My suggestion:

Where the streets have no name.

The moody start of Streets gradually gaining volume just before edge's guitar kicks in would be PERFECT as the strains of Drowning man end if you ask me!!!!!

So I had a chance to talk to Dallas Schoo at the Boston 2 show. He basically said that Drowning Man is definitely still on the table for the band and they really want to play it. He said its ready to be played but the band is very concerned about how it would fit into the show. He also said that he is fairly confident that it will get played on this tour.

So I had a chance to talk to Dallas Schoo at the Boston 2 show. He basically said that Drowning Man is definitely still on the table for the band and they really want to play it. He said its ready to be played but the band is very concerned about how it would fit into the show. He also said that he is fairly confident that it will get played on this tour.

thank you for posting, good news!

Ooh, now that is interesting. I figured that Dublin III was its last chance and the band were dissatisfied with it. Glad to hear that may not be the case after all.

And truly, if they're worried about the show struggling to recover from Drowning Man, just whack it before Streets or Bad. A main set ending with Drowning Man/Streets/Bad would be epic.

god, that would be just brilliant. it was amazing enough to not only have ybr premiere this tour but to also be at the show where it premiered. i'd lose it (in a wonderful, fantastic way) if they pull out drowning man too. i really hope it gets played live and is still in the setlist by the next time i can see them.

That would be awesome. I think they'll perform it on the next leg. I can't wait. :hyper:

Someone needs to make a sign, "Drowning Man, Just Do It". :)

I've got another 5 shows coming up, I think I'll work on the sign.

Someone needs to make a sign, "Drowning Man, Just Do It". :)

I've got another 5 shows coming up, I think I'll work on the sign.

Hey Rose, do a sign in Big letters ...

Drowning Man ====> Streets

or

Drowning Man ====> Bad ===> Streets

It'll be nice to hear on the bootlegs so I hope I get the chance to be jealous of you seeing it!!!!!!:love:

*Dublin III, where it was rehearsed last.

Hey Rose, do a sign in Big letters ...

Drowning Man ====> Streets

or

Drowning Man ====> Bad ===> Streets

It'll be nice to hear on the bootlegs so I hope I get the chance to be jealous of you seeing it!!!!!!:love:

Bad idea, you'd be saying that you think Drowning man is better than Streets. I wouldn't want DM over Streets, hell no.

Bad idea, you'd be saying that you think Drowning man is better than Streets. I wouldn't want DM over Streets, hell no.

I think he was suggesting segues, not which song is better. i.e. if they're afraid of bringing the show to a stand still, then use the these segues:

DM into Streets or
DM into Bad into Streets

which would immediately bring the crowd back.

By that I mean Drowning Man Leading to Streets. Thats what ====> means.
> means better than. The scientist Edge would get it . Maybe not Bono!!! ;)

Problem is "Drowning Man Leading to Streets" might be too much to read on anything but a fairly large sign. I just want to tell them where to put it in the setlist.

DM would be a terrible song right before Streets. Sure the diehard U2 fans would love hearing it, but most of the crowd would be lost and the atmosphere and energy of Streets would be significantly sapped.

This explains why the band doesn't play a lesser-known song right before Streets. Instead, they usually play a crowd pleaser or a song that involves significant crowd participation right before Streets in order to grab the audience's attention and then take the fans to another level. The formula works so why change it?

i'd like to see "Love Comes Tumbling". it would be huge for a diehard like me.

I always thought 'Love Comes Tumbling' never stood a chance because it's such an intimate and introspective song but by god if 'Your Blue room' gets played, why not 'Love Comes tumbling'... also another of my favourites.

"..all roads lead to where you are...":drool::drool::drool:

The band has already thrown its fans a few bones with Ultraviolent, UF, YBR, and Stay on this tour. It'll be very difficult for them to appease everyone. For instance, I would love to hear Mofo, Acrobat, and Please, but that's a lot to ask for. Anyway, hearing these three songs is sufficient for me. It sure beats last tour where only Electric Co. and An Cat Dubh were played.

By that I mean Drowning Man Leading to Streets. Thats what ====> means.
> means better than. The scientist Edge would get it . Maybe not Bono!!! ;)

Problem is "Drowning Man Leading to Streets" might be too much to read on anything but a fairly large sign. I just want to tell them where to put it in the setlist.
Ah I see, my bad.
DM would be a terrible song right before Streets. Sure the diehard U2 fans would love hearing it, but most of the crowd would be lost and the atmosphere and energy of Streets would be significantly sapped.

This explains why the band doesn't play a lesser-known song right before Streets. Instead, they usually play a crowd pleaser or a song that involves significant crowd participation right before Streets in order to grab the audience's attention and then take the fans to another level. The formula works so why change it?

Actually, I think it would be awesome. Play DM to pump up the die hards, who otherwise would be a bit 'bored' cause it's the xth time they ehard Pride, One or the likes, and then play Streets, a song which the die hards still like/love and the casual fans love as well. It's a win win!

The thing with this tour is... they've dug out some spectacular tracks (Unforgettable Fire, Your Blue Room, Ultra Violet, Electrical Storm... and I hope they do play Drowning Man, although the story with this song is starting to look like a bad soap-opera scenario), but the whole impression is a bit underwhelming for me since the rest of the setlist is so bloody average, and that factor did hurt the overall impression of the two gigs I was at. I mostly refer to the second post-UF half of the show. Still, these new sets are still way ahead (no Pride :hyper:) of that first night in Barcelona; that had to be one of my least favorite setlists ever. I mean, if all those songs that returned or premiered in a setlist that was more Vertigo-like (at least terms of track choices that simply rock more - I miss The Fly and Bullet the Blue Sky a lot), it would be bliss.

Er ... how? As soon as Streets comes in, the crowd loses their shit, doesn't matter what's before it. It's not as if Please was spectacularly well-known at the start of Popmart, it was just another new album track from a not astonishingly successful album, and that transition didn't hurt Streets.

And look at YBR --> Beautiful Day on this tour. Seems the majority of the crowd doesn't know YBR, then everybody loses their shit when Beautiful Day comes in. Doesn't sap energy at all. If anything, it builds it, since not only are people excited for A Big Hit, they're also excited because it's A Recognisable Song.

Er ... how? As soon as Streets comes in, the crowd loses their shit, doesn't matter what's before it. It's not as if Please was spectacularly well-known at the start of Popmart, it was just another new album track from a not astonishingly successful album, and that transition didn't hurt Streets.

And look at YBR --> Beautiful Day on this tour. Seems the majority of the crowd doesn't know YBR, then everybody loses their shit when Beautiful Day comes in. Doesn't sap energy at all. If anything, it builds it, since not only are people excited for A Big Hit, they're also excited because it's A Recognisable Song.

which is why they should play Love Comes Tumbling right before Bad. :wink:

and the unforgettable fire right before city of blinding lights!

(ha, it wasn't long ago this was as much a flight of fancy as the other suggestions!)

right? it's funny how the comfort level with this tour all of a sudden makes songs like TUF and Ultraviolet seem like staples.

Back
Top Bottom