Dont expect anymore changes to the setlist... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2011, 03:07 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:50 PM
Dont expect anymore changes to the setlist...

Willies Diary:

Denver. Rehearsal day.
Mercifully the freezing rain subsided to a degree that allowed us to rehearse today. The band came in to the stadium for an afternoon sound check, including The Edge who was sufficiently improved to rise from his sick bed. The show must go on and all that.

After sound check we had a group huddle to decide a set list for tomorrow night. This has been a remarkable tour for U2 in many ways, but not least in the quantity of songs that they have worked up and delivered live. I make it 51 different songs, six of which were unreleased, giving us a set list where every U2 album is represented, including Passengers and the Batman soundtrack.

U2 are famously crap at rehearsing, because with out an audience the pointlessness of the enterprise becomes overwhelming, so they get bored and stop. Consequently, rent-a-crowd was brought along this evening, made up of the local Special Olympics groups and some other invited guests, numbering several hundred. This was a great help and the band got through (almost) the entire set.

There were many, many loose ends still needing attention, so once we had had the dressing room debrief and the band had departed I took on the task of making sure as many of these were addressed as possible. I did rather become the headmaster, sitting everyone down and not letting anyone leave the building until the last details of their area had been completely taken care of. It was uncharacteristically assertive by my standards but experience tells me that after tonight there will be no time to get anything done. Tomorrow in particular is going to be mental, so anything that’s not completely taken care of tonight will inevitably end up being abandoned.

Wardrobe had their hands full, debuting a set of four LED jackets. Tonight the band wore them for four songs, but this will most likely be reduced to just one or two. For my money, they look ideal for Zooropa, having an air of apocalyptic, disintegrating technology, but we’ll see how it goes. The jackets took more than a little fussing with to get prepared, by the end of which time there were two large tables in the wardrobe room covered in wires, batteries, sticky tape & bits of circuit board. Tony, one of our security guys, got a bit of a shock as he walked in and in his own words “thought I’d uncovered a bomb-making factory.” (And the thing is, Tony would know what that looked like…)
So then, this is our show. This is what we will unveil tomorrow night and, due to the pace of the tour, will probably stick quite closely to for the rest of the run. It leaves me with just a little tinge of sadness, to have to let go, but what a fantastic trip this has been. Of course we could go on fiddling with it forever, but in essence this is the final version of 360, all grown up and going out for its last hurrah.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 08:50 AM
"Every album is represented"?? Did I miss the setlist where they played a song from Pop?

Old 05-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiRMaRcI9o0 View Post
"Every album is represented"?? Did I miss the setlist where they played a song from Pop?
I think they're thinking it's okay to consider the Discotheque snippet in Crazy Tonight as a representation of the album.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 02:50 PM
The present setlist is quite good. I would swap Elevation for No Line On The Horizon and Miss Sarajevo for The Unforgettable Fire. It's a shame and I can't believe they keep ignoring Pop, but that's U2.....
Old 05-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:50 AM
I'm really bummed they feel this way about POP. Its like if U2 albums were children and they were lined up to give a performance, POP would be the stepchild who was really prepared to give his/her best. Poor POP

I like the setlist now too. Even though I haven't seen the show since Vegas the pacing seems too be fixed.

I would just switch MS with SATS, IGWSHIA, or maybe Drowning Man? And Breathe for Walk On.

Now I'm thinking if I should go to both Anaheim shows.....
Old 05-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:50 AM
Mmm-MMM, if this current set stays for glastonbury I'll be one happy man. it's the best set of the tour IN MY OPINION.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 09:50 AM
*burns all tickets*

Old 05-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

I kind of figured this set would stay fairly static through the end. And that is a-ok with me.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Yeah, I don't think too many people would have assumed any different. Although... the songs they are adding are pretty much all awesome and left field, it would be very nice of them to just slip oooooone more in there.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:50 AM
if no more changes mean i see zooropa in nashville, fuck everyone who wants changes.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
Yeah, I don't think too many people would have assumed any different. Although... the songs they are adding are pretty much all awesome and left field, it would be very nice of them to just slip oooooone more in there.
Ha ha ... yeah, if they want to spring a surprise on Seattle, I won't complain.

(Unless that surprise means the removal of Zooropa, in which case I am going to have to knock some Irish skulls.)
Old 05-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well, you never know. The next album might actually be wildly popular and massively successful. So the next tour might open with eight new album tracks, then ten from U218, then four from that Record Breaking Broadway Smash Hit Musical. Now might be the last chance they ever get to slip something else in there!
Old 05-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #13
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:50 AM
switch Mysterious Ways or MOS with IGWSHA, drop Vertigo already and bring back NLOTH.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Ha - there's never going to ever be another U2 gig ever again without Vertigo. Ever.

Now Elevation on the other hand...
Old 05-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'd like to see some of the new songs they are working on back in the set. Preferably in the Pride/MS back-to-back spot. I think you could fit stuff like Mercy, EBW, North Star, BFFTS, Rise Above, etc all in there and it wouldn't kill the crowd any more than MS does already.

The rest of the set is rock solid. The lighting, images, pacing - everything is close to perfect, and I'm super pumped to see it in a few weeks.