Dont expect anymore changes to the setlist...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Willies Diary:

Denver. Rehearsal day.
Mercifully the freezing rain subsided to a degree that allowed us to rehearse today. The band came in to the stadium for an afternoon sound check, including The Edge who was sufficiently improved to rise from his sick bed. The show must go on and all that.

After sound check we had a group huddle to decide a set list for tomorrow night. This has been a remarkable tour for U2 in many ways, but not least in the quantity of songs that they have worked up and delivered live. I make it 51 different songs, six of which were unreleased, giving us a set list where every U2 album is represented, including Passengers and the Batman soundtrack.

U2 are famously crap at rehearsing, because with out an audience the pointlessness of the enterprise becomes overwhelming, so they get bored and stop. Consequently, rent-a-crowd was brought along this evening, made up of the local Special Olympics groups and some other invited guests, numbering several hundred. This was a great help and the band got through (almost) the entire set.

There were many, many loose ends still needing attention, so once we had had the dressing room debrief and the band had departed I took on the task of making sure as many of these were addressed as possible. I did rather become the headmaster, sitting everyone down and not letting anyone leave the building until the last details of their area had been completely taken care of. It was uncharacteristically assertive by my standards but experience tells me that after tonight there will be no time to get anything done. Tomorrow in particular is going to be mental, so anything that’s not completely taken care of tonight will inevitably end up being abandoned.

Wardrobe had their hands full, debuting a set of four LED jackets. Tonight the band wore them for four songs, but this will most likely be reduced to just one or two. For my money, they look ideal for Zooropa, having an air of apocalyptic, disintegrating technology, but we’ll see how it goes. The jackets took more than a little fussing with to get prepared, by the end of which time there were two large tables in the wardrobe room covered in wires, batteries, sticky tape & bits of circuit board. Tony, one of our security guys, got a bit of a shock as he walked in and in his own words “thought I’d uncovered a bomb-making factory.” (And the thing is, Tony would know what that looked like…)
So then, this is our show. This is what we will unveil tomorrow night and, due to the pace of the tour, will probably stick quite closely to for the rest of the run. It leaves me with just a little tinge of sadness, to have to let go, but what a fantastic trip this has been. Of course we could go on fiddling with it forever, but in essence this is the final version of 360, all grown up and going out for its last hurrah.

"Every album is represented"?? Did I miss the setlist where they played a song from Pop?

The present setlist is quite good. I would swap Elevation for No Line On The Horizon and Miss Sarajevo for The Unforgettable Fire. It's a shame and I can't believe they keep ignoring Pop, but that's U2.....

I'm really bummed they feel this way about POP. Its like if U2 albums were children and they were lined up to give a performance, POP would be the stepchild who was really prepared to give his/her best. Poor POP :angry:

I like the setlist now too. Even though I haven't seen the show since Vegas the pacing seems too be fixed.

I would just switch MS with SATS, IGWSHIA, or maybe Drowning Man? And Breathe for Walk On.

Now I'm thinking if I should go to both Anaheim shows.....

Mmm-MMM, if this current set stays for glastonbury I'll be one happy man. it's the best set of the tour IN MY OPINION. :wink::wink:

I kind of figured this set would stay fairly static through the end. And that is a-ok with me.

Yeah, I don't think too many people would have assumed any different. Although... the songs they are adding are pretty much all awesome and left field, it would be very nice of them to just slip oooooone more in there.

Yeah, I don't think too many people would have assumed any different. Although... the songs they are adding are pretty much all awesome and left field, it would be very nice of them to just slip oooooone more in there.

Ha ha ... yeah, if they want to spring a surprise on Seattle, I won't complain.

(Unless that surprise means the removal of Zooropa, in which case I am going to have to knock some Irish skulls.)

Well, you never know. The next album might actually be wildly popular and massively successful. So the next tour might open with eight new album tracks, then ten from U218, then four from that Record Breaking Broadway Smash Hit Musical. Now might be the last chance they ever get to slip something else in there!

I'd like to see some of the new songs they are working on back in the set. Preferably in the Pride/MS back-to-back spot. I think you could fit stuff like Mercy, EBW, North Star, BFFTS, Rise Above, etc all in there and it wouldn't kill the crowd any more than MS does already.

The rest of the set is rock solid. The lighting, images, pacing - everything is close to perfect, and I'm super pumped to see it in a few weeks.

setlist rocks now, but still missing NLOTH, still soo happy that saw and heard the dif version in Helsinki, just loved it :hug:

zooropa :drool::drool:

I don't really care if the setlist remains static, they finally got it together. It's an amazing set, can't wait to see it in a few weeks. :hyper:

It's finally a fantastic setlist. One of the best they've had ever.

The only improvements I would make are:

-Have All I Want Is You and Bad be back to back in the middle of the set.
-Swap Miss Sarajevo for Running To Stand Still
-Have them quit being teasing little bastards and play Discotheque in full right after Crazy Tonight
-Swap Walk On for Breathe
-Have HMTMKMKM rotate nightly with Gone, and on the nights they play HMTMKMKM, play Ultraviolet right after. UV is a much better transition into WOWY in my opinion.

I know probably none of those will ever happen. The most likely one is them playing Bad right after All I Want Is You, and that'll probably happen at Anaheim II or the second Montreal show.

But if they took those suggestions, it would be my favorite setlist ever.

Edge was sick? :sad:

I love the setlist they have now, and I'm going to see it in two days! Just please don't step on me as I limp my way to the inner circle. :wink:

Swap Elevation for NLOTH, MS for RTSS and continue the rotating slots (IWF/NYD/OOC, AIWIY/ISHFWILF and the following two/three slots, and UV/HMTMKMKM) and the set is absolute perfection.

I think it was pretty obvious to everybody that with only two cities getting two shows, the setlist would be pretty damn static in the US and Canada.

At least they've finally got to a good setlist. Took their time!

Back
Top Bottom