Dont expect anymore changes to the setlist...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw Zooropa live now. Nothing else matters.

U2 can switch to their preferred concert setlist of:

1. Magnificent
2. IWF
3. NYD
4. Pride
5. SBS
6. Bullet The Blue Sky
7. IWF (acoustic)
8. NYD (acoustic)
9. Pride (acoustic)
8. SBS (dance remix)
9. Bullet (dance remix)
10. IWF (Larry/Adam instrumental)
11. NYD (dance remix)
11. Pride (audience a cappella)
12. SBS (Desmond Tutu vocals)
13. Bullet (Aung San Suu Kyi vocals)
14. IWF (Edge instrumental)
15. NYD (Edge instrumental)
16. Pride (Rocko Reedy vocals)
17. SBS (Rocko Reedy vocals)
18. Bullet (Rocko Reedy vocals)
19. Streets
20. WOWY
21. MOS

:wink:

(I started this as a joke and have since talked myself into wanting to see it. U2 sheep FTW Baaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!)

The current setlist is good, but I don't think it will remain 100% the same until the end of the tour, especially after Glastonbury. Its likely they'll reintroduce some songs during Glastonbury (new and old) and enjoy performing them.

If I had to guess, "The Fly" will probably make a rotating appearance (perhaps after "Even Better") and "Bad" will eventually replace "All I Want is You". AIWIY is a gorgeous song but the band seems a little lazy when playing it and I feel its not in the right place in the set.

Hopefully the band comes to their senses and brings back "Breathe" and "No Line on Horizon" after Glastonbury because I'm sure either of those will make an appearance there.

Glastonbury (I've seen the setlist!)
1. Where the Streets (Gloria snippet)
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing
3. New Years Day
4. Beautiful Day
5. Vertigo
6. Bad
7. I Will Follow
8. Get On Your Boots
9. Desire
10. Magnificent
11. Glastonbury
12. Stay
13. Sunday Bloody Sunday
14. Bullet The Blue Sky
15. Zooropa
16. Until The End Of The World
17. Pride
18. Mysterious Ways
19. Walk On (Discotheque snippet, the bit where he sings "All that you Fashion" etc he replaces with "You can reach, but you can't grab it")
20. Numb
21. The Fly
22. One

Pop, the bastard child, is not entirely forgotten.

The Fly and Bad would make this set list excellent, but I think if they played the same set they've done recently at Glastonbury it'll only reinforce that crowd's dinosaur opinion of U2, they need more recent material represented.

They need less recent material, if anything.

They need less recent material, if anything.

:up: Glastonbury is one big sing along fuck festival, if U2 decided to bring out Mercy, EBW and North Star let alone anything else from NLOTH that isnt currently being played, people wouldnt be to happy.

Yep. It's not a U2 gig, and it's not a U2 crowd. The punters will have spent all day drinking beer in the sun and checking out loads of new acts and hearing new music on the 49 other stages and venues. It's the end of the day and they all want to come together nice and drunk (or *whatever*) at the main stage to belt out some fuck off big songs from a fuck off big band on a fuck off big stage. And this year, the anticipation and expectation is huge because U2 are the biggest band and they have the biggest songs. Not the time nor the place for them to even pull stuff like Magnificent, really.

It will be a really boring setlist party in here - aside from perhaps the 'fun' of a different running order - because it will just be warhorse/warhorse/warhorse/warhorse, but that's exactly what will bring the house down with the crowd that's there.

My hopes of U2 ever playing Exit again are quickly diminishing. Ah, well, maybe next tour.

I'm really surprised, like a lot of other folks, that more stuff from Pop isn't represented. You've got the two snippets, but Discotheque, I think, would work well in its entirety. Last Night on Earth seems logical too.

my hopes of u2 ever playing exit again are quickly diminishing. Ah, well, maybe next tour.

I'm really surprised, like a lot of other folks, that more stuff from pop isn't represented. You've got the two snippets, but discotheque, i think, would work well in its entirety. Last night on earth seems logical too.

Mofo!!!

I hope that setlist is the one they'll be using.

I think I'm one of the few in hoping that Glastonbury isn't as 90's dominated as Adam hinted a few weeks ago.

Like every fan, I'm extremely conscious of the fact that this could be a landmark moment for the band, if they pull it off.

The Glastonbury audience are not necesarily the most forgiving bunch, you need to grab them by the scruff of the neck and keep them in the palm of your hand throughout. This is not the time to hit them with some of the more obscure stuff, for me, it needs to be anthem after anthem. As most of those were made in the 80's, then that's the way to go. Similar to Queen at Live Aid, this could really remind people of how brilliant they can be.

U2 were given an enormous boost at Live Aid, the momentum of that wave inspired the classics that make up JT. I hope the same kind of thing happens here (although the likelihood of this is pretty slim), the band always operate best when they're working off the sparks created by a live audience.

Obviously One is guaranteed, and I can also see The Fly, UTEOTW and maybe Real Thing also making an appearance. But after that I think I'd kind of steer clear of the 90's (with very few exceptions). Not because I think they're bad songs, because I think they may start to lose the audience without something more immediate.

With all that said, I can see a few songs from NLOTH being performed, if just in the hope of piquing peoples interest about the kind of material on that album and encouraging them to go back and take another look at it.

The warhorses are there for the band to fall back on in situations such as these, so I hope they use them.

My hopes of U2 ever playing Exit again are quickly diminishing. Ah, well, maybe next tour.

I'm really surprised, like a lot of other folks, that more stuff from Pop isn't represented. You've got the two snippets, but Discotheque, I think, would work well in its entirety. Last Night on Earth seems logical too.

Glad I'm not the only one that's missing Exit :up: It's without doubt one of their best live songs, I really wish they would play it again.

What do you think of this Glastonbury set?

(Space Oddity)
Even Better Than the Real Thing (360 Remix)
I Will Follow
Until the End of the World
New Years Day
Elevation
Mysterious Ways (w/ Solo)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Beautiful Day
Stay (Acoustic)
All I Want Is You
Love Rescue Me
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
The Fly
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride

One/Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow
Where the Streets Have No Name
Bad/40

Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
With or Without You
Moment of Surrender

22 songs. Good mix of anthems and great live songs.

People, I will bet there is no way in hell they'll play Moment of Surrender and even if they do it definetly won't be finishing the set at Glastonbury. One or maybe even 40 will end the Glastonbury show. MOS doesn't even sound good live so to play it at Glastonbury would be a big mistake.

Nah it sounds to bare. Not enough power especially when Edge is playing the piano bits. Not a good song live, and Bono struggles with the vocal.

I think I'm one of the few in hoping that Glastonbury isn't as 90's dominated as Adam hinted a few weeks ago.

He was actually only talking about the staging, i.e. ZooTV/Popmart inspired, not the songs or setlist.

I think the best bet is that the setlist will be essentially what it is now, with a few 'Claw' songs switched out (Crazy Tonight hopefully, Zooropa sadly) making room for a few of the normally rotating warhorses to be squeezed in (New Years Day, Still Haven't Found, possibly/probably Bad.) And the running order could be a bit different too.

He was actually only talking about the staging, i.e. ZooTV/Popmart inspired, not the songs or setlist.

I think the best bet is that the setlist will be essentially what it is now, with a few 'Claw' songs switched out (Crazy Tonight hopefully, Zooropa sadly) making room for a few of the normally rotating warhorses to be squeezed in (New Years Day, Still Haven't Found, possibly/probably Bad.) And the running order could be a bit different too.

Ah, yes right, sorry.:reject: That'll teach me to skim read.

Glastonbury's not just another stop on the tour, it's a bit different and I'd like to think the band will adapt the set accordingly. U2's reputation is not the strongest in the UK right now and people can be pretty cynical so it's going to be all about maximum impact. I'm really hoping it revitalises both the band and public, just like Beautiful Day did when it was released back in 2000.

I reckon Live Aid was the last time the band were properly in such a high risk/high reward situation.

They should adapt it, but if you look at whats in it, what could/should be taken out, and what could/should be added, it's still not going to be all that different. Try and build yourself an Ultimate U2 Greatest Hits Awesome 25 Song Everyone Sing-a-Long Setlist and it will end up being at least 80-90% the same as one of these recent ones anyway. And you have to be realistic, e.g. as much as Boots is the standard punchline in every U2 article you read in the UK these days, they're not going to drop it. And as much as it would be wicked for them to dust off this song or that song from whenever, they're probably not going to.

I don't think Live Aid was 'high risk'. I mean it was a huge gig, globally televised, so a big risk in terms of "Don't fuck it up!", but it was also only high reward because Bono pulled that Bad stunt. Take that away and their set certainly wouldn't have been bagged, just lost in amongst the rest of the day.

Glastonbury is a bit different. Barring some disaster beyond their control (save your voice Bono! Baltimore doesn't really need it!) I can't see them properly tanking it. If they play a Magnificent or two that create dead spots (as, unfortunately, they almost certainly will), they'll be completely forgotten and forgiven by the time the next (monster) track rolls around. And if they get the pacing and drama of it right (that is where they need to look to ZooTV for inspiration), and they're miraculously in top form, then they'll blow the place apart. In which case, their next album had better be a killer.

The UK will never like Bono though. There's nothing he can do about that. If he goes around the night before handing out free cases of beer to every single tent, you might see some swing, but barring that, probably not.

I don't think they'll screw it up either, in all likelihood they'll play a solid gig.

But a solid gig isn't quite what's required here, not if the band really want to make a huge impact (which they undoubtedly must do), they need to find that spark of magic to take it to the next level. Do I think they'll find it? Probably not. But it's always a danger to underestimate U2, they're liable to blow you away just when you've written them off. Bono being in good voice is essential.

Yes, most of the big songs are played frequently anyway, so the eventual setlist will not be all that different. If I'm being honest, I'd probably cut all material from Zooropa, Pop and NLOTH. Stick with the 80's stuff and make sure you include the likes of NYD, Bad and All I Want Is You.

BD will make an appearance, so could Elevation potentially, but in an ideal world, I'd also like to see Kite and Walk On.

Big tunes that project right to the back of the field are to way to go, the elusive and more enigmatic numbers of the late 90's and 2000's are to be avoided IMO.

BD will make an appearance, so could Elevation potentially, but in an ideal world, I'd also like to see Kite and Walk On.

I am continually stunned at how many people adore BD and sing along. It's a huge hit for them.

Also, Elevation. Each concert after the ATYCLB tour I hope that some different song will replace Elevation, but once they start playing it, I'm hooked and am glad they did.

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. I Will Follow
3. Even Better Than The Real Thing
4. Mysterious Ways
5. Get On Your Boots
6. New Years Day
7. I Still Havent Found What I'm Looking For
8. Pride
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday
10. Beautiful day
11. All I Want Is You
12. City Of Blinding Lights
13. Vertigo
14. Elevation
15. Miss Sarajevo (Bono loves the song, I think it should have ended after 2006)
16. Walk On
17. One
18. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
19. Glastonbury
20. With Or Without You
21. Bad

My guess would be something like this for Glastonbury. Or it will be identical to the 360 setlist with just a few modifications. U2 talks a big game (IE need to change the setlist order, etc.) but when it comes down to it they go with what they know or feel most comfortable with. Which is probably what will actually happen. 360 setlist minus Zooropa, MOS and maybe Magnificent and Go Crazy with Bad, New Years Day, ISHFWILF added back in to the current order.

You're probably a few songs short though. Will definitely be a full set, if they want it. Michael Eavis (festival organiser) has said they're scheduled for 2 hours, but they can have all the encores they want. That's a full show, if they want it. Or given that plus no faffing about with the Claw and screen and everything, they could probably even squeeze an extra one or two songs in.

The set list lately has been absolutely fantastic. It not only draws from all of their albums, but also relatively evenly from all three decades. I'm pretty impressed and am glad I won't be hearing some half-baked unreleased tracks or a bunch of stuff from No Line On The Horizon (great album, but lacks a single song I'd put in my U2 Top 50).

they should open Glastonbury with Elevation
followed by Beautiful Day and New Year's Day
play I still haven't found, Pride and Streets and all will be well

Back
Top Bottom