Do you think the band is sick of Moment Of Surrender?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
he sang it at some shows, then dropped it. no idea why. Bono did sing the last part of the verse at some shows even on the second leg of the tour (first US leg), but it was dropped at some point.

My thought at the time is that since they were putting the Rose Bowl show on YouTube (which is shortened, right?) that they were going to release Moment of Surrender as the fourth single and it was going to have some sort of live/single edit/something. Lazy thought, but whatever.

Actually, he did it at I think one of the Montreal shows. I recall hearing it and thinking, wait, this was the part he stopped singing live! I don't remember which of the two shows it was though. Could've even been Toronto. :hmm:

Actually, he did it at I think one of the Montreal shows. I recall hearing it and thinking, wait, this was the part he stopped singing live! I don't remember which of the two shows it was though. Could've even been Toronto. :hmm:

nah, he didn't do it in Montreal. I wasn't at Toronto though, so not sure there.

I'm not the biggest fan of the song, though I don't mind that they haven't closed with it at every show recently. I kind of hope they close with something else at Philly...:D

I hope they keep it up, though I don't think it's necessarily that they're getting tired of the song. They may, however, be finally recognizing that it's not the greatest closer. :shrug:

My sis reminded me after we left NJ/GS (in the sense that I forget this aspect of R&R concert endings) that MOS is a song to ease the crowd energy down .
So is 40. ...etc (just in terms of crowd logistics.)

I happen to prefer leaving on a up & out expansive note....but that's ok....

Having a slow closer never deterred me from the incredible Live performance that is U2.

That's really why I was more disappointed w MOS as a closer.

it IS a beautiful, complex song both musically and lyrically (and i love the final closing chords/notes by edge).... and it has grown on me as the closer. :D
I really listened to it, taking it in as much as I could on my last of the whole 360 tour shows...which was NJ/GS.... as the final live song i'd hear by them this go around.

And then they surprised ( b/c i didn't hear about the set list rumours <real SL? or not going on in the SLP with any body mentioning it around me in the outer rail - no Interlander that I knew of near me > the heck out of me.....

..by playing OOC!!! a high energy endingI'd want :happy: and a song i fell in love with ( along w IWF) oh hell years 30 years ago! 30 years with this band! wow! :heart: Powers i love 'em!

YES. I always feel so bad for them (and for me!) when WOWY is met with thunderous response, and MOS gets such a half-assed round of applause at the end. :(
yeah.....

Good call, wait, that's a great call.

And to answer the original question, I do not think they are sick of it. IMO, it's a beautiful song and the band seem quite proud of it. They've played many other songs 100s of time more than MOS, yet still play them, I think because they enjoy them (SBS, Pride, WOWY, Beautiful Day, One, Streets etc)..

I think U2 feel a connection to those songs and a connection with the audience when they play them)

i hope they feel proud of it ....

I'd hope that and it's hard in this current American Culture to NOT equate money $$$$/high sales = creative worth !

I'd hope some day again they'd really feel proud of this incredible album that is NLOTH!

As as recovering perfectionist and long time artist (drawing, painting, sculpture, digital computer art & photography ) I know the struggle to want to and do your best and exceed it. i know the struggle and quiet and high exhilaration of doing this and exploring new territories as well.

As for the other songs you've mentioned probably a mix/ a maybe sometimes difficult balance of what they still love playing ( and be proud of artistically <and of others not played> ) and what they know their fans want to hear.

I've joked with some fans that WOWY/MOS was an intential crowd control method so hardcore fans with seats get a 10 minute head start on traffic.

God knows they had some major crowd/traffic issues in 2009 with fans stuck for HOURS.

:lol: see my above post!

My sis has been a site manager and involved with 2 major ( 30,000 - 40,000)
outdoor events ..so it is something she's talked about with me. :)

I was sick of MOS tonight. I said to myself why did they skip it in Winnipeg with the cold (or curfew, but whatever) but play it in Montreal as it began to rain? Not only did they do full, good version, they improvised a little rain song (or whatever it was) after MOS. I'm not sure I got it because everyone was scrambling around to get the fuck away from the rain.

:raiseshand:

permission to smack the jadedness out of you km? :wink:

With (full original band) The Who being my first band to be
able to follow in shows all over the borroughs of NYC, and not too
many years later up & down the North East & Upper Central coast of the US I know (looking back) how I got to picking apart their shows :blahblah: to the pint of jadedness...... especially to then younger fans who were experiencing their first !Live! Who shows.........

i can look back and understand at least for me that as sometimes wanting the live experience to be as perfect as possible ( as defined by me :D) to lift me up, take me away from my worries and troubles and /or if I was already in a good mood to lift me higher......when I percieved it didn;t go that way........ arg!!!! :grumpy:
Instead at least of taking in and savoring the best parts of each show!

I have tape cassette of a ? 76 or 79 show that has on3 eof the most both blistering and ethteric solos pete has ever done!!!!

I must getit on to garage band to clean it up and bit and make coppes! to preserve it.

Having YT is such a godsned for a !Live! R&R Band ( or any live music) lover like me!

I can't wait to delve iback into the Philly & NJ shows I just saw!!

no net at ome so it's a intermittentpreciuos gift when i get it

Come and make me.

I suggest keeping me in a pub drinking while reassuring me that we'll still get a good place in the GA if we get there at 9:30pm, 10pm, 11pm...

:D

:lol:

kramwest1 said:
Granted.

I "punched" Romi in Montreal. No reason physical violence can't be a part of our Blue community. :wink:

I pm'ed you regarding the montreal show

a great NLOTH/Kiss The Future setlist should've been this:

00 - Soon
01 - NLOTH
02 - GOYB
03 - Magnificent
04 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
05 - We Love You/Beautiful Day
06 - I Will Follow
07 - Until The End Of The World --->
08 - Breathe
09 - Unknown Caller
10 - The Unforgettable Fire
11 - City Of Blinding Lights
12 - Vertigo
13 - Crazy Remix
14 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
15 - MLK
16 - Walk On

17 - One
18 - Moment Of Surrender -->
19 - Where The Streets Have No Name

20 - FEZ/Being Born --->
21 - Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
22 - WOWY
23 - NLOTH 2

As the tour would go on, it would be nice to work in some other great songs, but this would've been a great sequence to showcase NLOTH.

That'd have been a pretty awesome setlist. I'd have gone for something just a little different, something like this:

01 - No Line On The Horizon (Version 2)
02 - Get On Your Boots
03 - Magnificent
04 - Beautiful Day
05 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
06 - Breathe
07 - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Album Version)
08 - Until The End Of The World
09 - Your Blue Room
10 - Unknown Caller
11 - The Unforgettable Fire
12 - Miss Sarajevo
13 - Zooropa
14 - City Of Blinding Lights
15 - Elevation
16 - Discotheque
17 - Stand Up Comedy
18 - Acrobat
19 - Walk On