Discotheque

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Am I alone in thinking the Vertigo version of Discotheque wasn't that great? The straight rock version took away a lot of the charm of the original.

Such a great album and era in the band's history - and so many people just don't get it!

:)

I do prefer the Popmart version to Vertigo. And the transition to If You Wear That Velvet Dress was... Heaven!

Vertigo Discotheque was pretty cool indeed, but I'd say the Popmart version was the definitive version of the song.

If they were to bring back a Pop song, however, I think Mofo, Gone, Please, and Last Night On Earth (in that order) are the most worthy candidates.

I wouldn't mind hearing just about any song from Pop (ok, maybe not Playboy Mansion) -- the only one I've heard live was a snippet of Wake Up Dead Man.

Considering the stage and its earnestness, I think The Playboy Mansion would go over like a lead zeppelin.

But imagine the epic arguments on here if Bono sung "Michael Jackson, history"!

Pop your popcorn now!

i completely disagree. not that it was so bad, but the popmart version struggled a bit to capture the song. It sounded like they were fighting the rhythm of the song. the vertigo version went with it instead of going against it.

There are a lot of songs on Pop I'd rather hear performed live again than Discoteque. I'm not a fan of that song and don't think it would fit the current tour/stage/setlist.

I don't see how it would NOT fit with this stage? It's so over the top and HUGE, it screams for a song like Mofo or Discotheque!

I don't see how it would NOT fit with this stage? It's so over the top and HUGE, it screams for a song like Mofo or Discotheque!

This. The claw is dissatisfied with the lack of MOTHERFUCKING ROCK 'N' ROLL.

I think that, as enormous The Claw is, the show is definitely aimed to be intimate
both visually and thematically
Crazy Tonight being the one exception which also makes sense thematically

and I do prefer Bomb to POP
as it has more songs I like
/novel concept

Dingdingdingdingding. Winner!

This is EXACTLY what I've been saying. Not to start a setlist bitchfest again, I'd just like to state that the tour needs more "over the top and HUGE" music to go along with the over the top and HUGE stage.

Also, Discotheque would be the perfect warmup for the Crazy remix. Get people to put their dancing shoes on and get their hips shaking.

Discotheque (or HMTMKMKM or MOFO or LNOE) are just what the CLAW is screaming for. This show needs a bit more "punch", a bit more attitude and dusting off a PopMart staple is the way to do it.

Lose the Elevation, Lose the Stuck in a Moment, add in the above mentioned songs and bam now we are talking.

Mofo would be incredible beyond belief, but there's no chance at all. I'm not sure any of them except Bono actually like the song.

Discotheque (or HMTMKMKM or MOFO or LNOE) are just what the CLAW is screaming for. This show needs a bit more "punch", a bit more attitude and dusting off a PopMart staple is the way to do it.

Lose the Elevation, Lose the Stuck in a Moment, add in the above mentioned songs and bam now we are talking.

I honestly expected HMTMKMKM to return this tour. It's a popular single, it's on the Best Of, it hasn't been done on the last two tours, and it's the kind of serious fuckin' rock song that would be right at home in a huge stadium with a ridiculous stage (much like it was on Popmart!). Gone, God Part II, Dirty Day, that sort of stuff would be ideal too, but they're a bit more of a stretch.

Besides UTEOTW, U2 have been seriously lacking on this front this tour. Hell, even just The Fly would do.

At least they'll most likely play a yet-again re-arranged version of Bullet if they play in El Salvador as Bono said they would try to do.

Regarding The Fly, I'm surprised they don't pull out an Elevation-like version. I strongly prefer the ZooTV and Vertigo arrangements of the song, but as The Claw is essentially the stadium version of the Elevation Tour, the Elevation arrangement would fit well on this stage. God knows I would kill to see the Vertigo version, though, with ZooTV graphics in their full glory on the screen which then could extend in the middle of the song and switch over to the Vertigo graphics after doing so.

Dingdingdingdingding. Winner!

This is EXACTLY what I've been saying. Not to start a setlist bitchfest again, I'd just like to state that the tour needs more "over the top and HUGE" music to go along with the over the top and HUGE stage.

Also, Discotheque would be the perfect warmup for the Crazy remix. Get people to put their dancing shoes on and get their hips shaking.

:lol: Are you me???? THat's exactly what I've been saying! That Discotheque > Crazy Tonight would be a perfect sequence!

Back
Top Bottom