Disapearing Act - Live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niceman

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Am I utterly insane for wondering if they might try the song out live?

I know, they aren't mixing the setlist up a lot lately and it is basically a B-side... but they did play Wave of Sorrow live once.....

It would be a great surprise and...I don't know.....I think it could sound really great live! :)

What do you guys think?

I think they did Wave of Sorrow because it was fresh on their minds, I have a feeling Disappearing Act was done awhile back and probably isn't really on their minds... who knows:shrug:

i could see it. they did just play Disappearing Act for the radio not long ago, so i would think it's fresh in their minds.

I don't think it's likely. We've only got four gigs to go, and Disappearing Act isn't officially released until there's only the Vancouver show left. Come the resumption of touring in May next year, it may've slipped their minds and I doubt they'll have much impetus to play it.

I suppose they could also do something out of the box for the RARHOF gig on 30 October, but I fully expect that to be a greatest hits parade.

Yeah, I guess only having 4 gigs left makes it unlikely..... It's too bad. If this was the Vertigo tour I'd almost expect it, but they aren't doing a lot of setlist surprises this time out... Too bad! :(

It's worth noting that Window In The Skies didn't debut until there were only four gigs left on Vertigo. However, it had been officially released on U2:18 for almost two weeks before it debuted. I think that's a key point. If we think nobody at the gigs right now knows Your Blue Room, it'll look like a greatest hit compared to Disappearing Act. Not many people in the audience, relatively speaking, will buy the 2CD version of the UF remaster, and even fewer will have heard the leak. If they did it in Phoenix, I'll be impressed if more than 50 people in the venue even know what they're playing. U2 of today aren't going to take that sort of risk.

When did it become the case that people at concerts only want to hear what they already know? It seems to be the case...... but I remember when a band you liked would play something you didn't know and it would be exciting!

I know, I just don't understand it. I love it when I go to gigs and hear stuff I don't know, whether it's a band I didn't previously know at all, or material I didn't know a band I liked had written. Gives you more impetus to dig into a band's discography, you know? "Wow, I loved that - need to find where it comes from!"

And on Vertigo, it seemed the scintillating performances of The Electric Co. generated some interest in Boy! But this tour ... it's disappointing. NLOTH songs? "Play oldies!" Your Blue Room? "Play a song we know!" Stay? "Play a song with a big chorus!"

That's right. Electric Co., An Cat Dubh, The Ocean. I'm sure the band were playing them to INTRODUCE the audience to their earlier work!

Now, it seems the audience just wants to hear what they already know, nothing threatening or that requires them to think or process information. Is Unknown Caller a good song? Well, since I don't already know it I must not be interested in it..... :(

I can't imagine any of these people are in the habit of discovering new bands by seeing them live anymore......

no chance at all- an unreleased track from 25 years ago- that aside from one radio play no-one as ever heard

I see this has turned into another the 360 set list is crap discussion

When did it become the case that people at concerts only want to hear what they already know? It seems to be the case...... but I remember when a band you liked would play something you didn't know and it would be exciting!

:up:

no chance at all- an unreleased track from 25 years ago- that aside from one radio play no-one as ever heard

Yes, would agree on that. I do not think, the band will play the tune. Because you also have to think about, what to cut short in place for the tune. I guess for many people in the stadium the (beautiful) version of TUF is a complete "What is this?" moment in 360. So, imagine, you play an outtake from the box therefore. Nope, impossible ...

That's right. Electric Co., An Cat Dubh, The Ocean. I'm sure the band were playing them to INTRODUCE the audience to their earlier work!

Now, it seems the audience just wants to hear what they already know, nothing threatening or that requires them to think or process information. Is Unknown Caller a good song? Well, since I don't already know it I must not be interested in it..... :(

I can't imagine any of these people are in the habit of discovering new bands by seeing them live anymore......

Very true:up:

You and Ax bring up a very relevant point for me.

I dug into Boy after hearing the Ocean and Electric Co at my first show on Vertigo!

This was the impetus for me going into their back catalog, and I am convinced that I would not have become as big a fan as I am now without seeing the raw energy that U2 brought at such a young age. I remember being as fascinated by early club performance bootlegs and Red Rocks as I was by youtube videos of Zoo TV.

Electric Co is not that much of a risk as one might like to think. Alot of people knew it already, it was a highlight on what is widely regarded as one of the best early live performance videos of any band, and that's the balance that is struck by a band playing an oldie/rarity...if they can count on a certain percentage of the audience remembering it, then that enthusiasm will spread to the people around them. With Disappearing Act, they don't have anyone to count on for that.

Then there is the sheer rock-out factor of Electric Co. So while a song like, oh, F-BB might be known by a small number of people who bought the most recent album (and even smaller who still play it without skipping directly to Breathe lol), more would know Electric Co and the ones that don't would rock out much quicker to Electric Co than F-BB, hands down. So there is little risk with an Electric Co type song.

I can put Electric Co and 11 Oclock into setlists where there might be maybe one or two hardcores and win over (sometimes younger) audiences quicker than the deeper cuts from more recent albums those audiences surely own. I can only attribute it to being that they are a. better songs. b. easier to get into. c. have more emotion and thus rock out more. Just personal experience with trying to get people into unknown U2 songs :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom