Could U2 possibly be a bit more varied in how they pick songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
----------

Given the timing/placement of your post, I think it's obvious that you were implicitely referencing PhillyFan's setlist... to make a point about any fan setlist and specifically that...

I honestly didn't even read his setlist.

Try again.

Fail again.

You are proving your return to be trollish, keep trying... The more you try the sooner we'll see you cross the line and be gone.

I honestly didn't even read his setlist.

Try again.

Fail again.

You are proving your return to be trollish, keep trying... The more you try the sooner we'll see you cross the line and be gone.

So, by your own admission, you're not even following the flow of conversation?

Or was it only PhillyFan's setlist you missed (and the replies thereto)... the rest you saw?

Honestly people, the cows have come home, made other cows, died, turned into fossils, turned into dust and been reincarnated as telephone poles and we are STILL having the SAME FUCKING ARGUMENT! :rant:

In the grand scheme of things what does it matter? I mean really?

Honestly people, the cows have come home, made other cows, died, turned into fossils, turned into dust and been reincarnated as telephone poles and we are STILL having the SAME FUCKING ARGUMENT! :rant:

In the grand scheme of things what does it matter? I mean really?

yes! i need better setlists so when i'm on my computer from home, i can enjoy their concerts more!!!111

I think we have to accept the band are never going to mixup sets as much as we would like.
Having already been to shows, i enjoyed the not knowing what was coming next and rather than have loads of bsides etc in the set just wish the band would just mix up what they have, therefore you always have that element of surprise possible.
It was interesting in Milans setlist party 1 people started to tail off after the first 7 songs, because (at the moment) it would appear the rest is set in stone. But if they did something like this...

GOYB
NLOTH
Magnificent
Vertigo
Beautiful Day
ISHFWILF/Stand By Me (snippet)
Angel Of Harlem/Man in The Mirror (snippet)
In a Little While
Unknown Caller
MLK
The Unforgettable Fire
City of Blinding Lights
Crazy Remix
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
Walk On
Streets

Encore:
Breathe
Party Girl
With or Without You

Encore:
Ultraviolet(Light My Way)
One
Moment Of Surrender

exactly the same songs. That element of surprise is still there for the people 'watching on the internet' and the fans present

:up:Me too...sure there are one or two songs I wish they would replace..but you know when your there live..you forget and your in the moment and you really don't care what the heck they play..you just really get into it...well I do anyways :applaud::

Exactly! I wish and wish that certain songs will be played on my night but once I am in the moment, I am too excited to think about being disappointed. For all I care,they could do Twinkle twinkle Little Star....well maybe not that:D!

See you in TO 16 and 17 Sept!:applaud:

Some of you are gettin' a little feisty. If you wanna debate, that's swell, but let's keep it nice and mature and full of respect and all that other jazz that mods love to see. :wink:

Thanks!

I think our debate on this topic is staler than the set list. They just are going to be 95% the same for the entire tour, so get used to it.

What else can you do? And does it really matter if they played the best set list of all time if you aren't there?

I think it would be cool if people took their ideal set list and find the best version of that song live -- and actually threw it up. So instead of waiting for U2 to get it right -- just do it for them.

Call it the Interference 180 Tour.

In the end, when/if I can afford to purchase tickets to the American leg of this tour, I will gladly indulge myself regardless of the variety present within the nightly setlists. Seriously, it's motherfucking U2. Hard to screw that up. That said, the setlist parties are getting a bit dull these days. Guess the rehearsals contained enough excitement to make up for a leg of predictability.

Hey, if you guys think Interference is going overboard about this, just think of how the admin at U2start must feel when they see each bootleg is nearly identical. They have a legitimate reason to be pissed off. :lol:

In the end, when/if I can afford to purchase tickets to the American leg of this tour, I will gladly indulge myself regardless of the variety present within the nightly setlists. Seriously, it's motherfucking U2. Hard to screw that up. That said, the setlist parties are getting a bit dull these days. Guess the rehearsals contained enough excitement to make up for a leg of predictability.

Hey, if you guys think Interference is going overboard about this, just think of how the admin at U2start must feel when they see each bootleg is nearly identical. They have a legitimate reason to be pissed off. :lol:

That's a hilarious but true point...imagine they have an editorial room or something:

"Jesus Bono, throw us a bone here, this is not helping us market the site"

"I know, eh Boss..don't know what else to do"

"Fuck it - write up that they did Acrobat, we can always retract"

:lol:

Your first paragraph is bang on...that's why I haven't really bothered with the setlist parties..it's summer and the shows are on while it's still beautiful and sunny out :drool: Plus, I don't really *want* to hear all the songs there are some I haven't even listened to yet, honestly :up:

I'm not sure how to feel about this. While I agree it would be cool to see some of the rarer songs being played (like Drowning Man on opening night, very surprised they played it) but on the other hand, if you make the show TOO unknown you'll kill the whole crowd singalong mood that you usually get at U2 concerts. It's always seemed to me that they play the songs which are the easiest ones for the audience to sing along to, and if you look at it from that point of view it does make sense to pack the setlist with as many "anthem" songs as possible - hence starting the Elevation tour gigs with Elevation, the Vertigo tour gigs with CoBL, the 360 gigs with Breathe, and so on. These are the songs which are guaranteed to be easy to sing and easy to remember. The more "out there" the setlists become, the more you risk losing the power of the crowd.

What could work would be the following:
Split the gig in 3, not counting the encore. Play a bunch of the big hits at the start, then roll into the more unknown songs for a bit (stage 2), then in the final stage, stage 3, mix them up a bit, until finally you have the encore in which you roll back into the singalong stuff.

I also think that one thing we're not considering here is the job of actually playing the song live, for U2. One reason certain songs don't get played live is because they're just too complicated, synth filled, or overdubbed vocally to reproduce live and still sound good. That's why, for example, I would have serious doubts about whether it would be possible to play Fez live - a lot of programmed synths, very little guitar and bass guitar (not sure what they used for bass but it didn't sound like an actual bass guitar), and more importantly, about 5 different voices. It was OK for the "DAAAAAAAY" chorus in beautiful day, they use a backing track for the extra voices - but doing that for the whole song? The more tied you are to a backing track, the less room you have to improvise and/or make mistakes. So songs like Fez (or Ceders) would be a huge risk.

1. Magnificent
2. Get on Your Boots
3. No Line on the Horizon
4. Beautiful Day
5. New Year's Day
6. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Remix)
7. Discotheque
8. Breathe
9. Hawkmoon 269
10. Unknown Caller
11. The Unforgettable Fire
12. City of Blinding Lights
13. Fez - Being Born
14. Dirty Day
15. Please
16. MLK
17. Walk On
18. Moment of Surrender

19. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
20. The Fly
21. Until the End of the World

22. Where the Streets Have No Name
23. All I Want Is You
24. Bad

Would that be too much to ask? That was my proposed set for the first night. I think it has decent balance.

MaMa Mia Perfect & I do mean PERFECT

:bow:

O No wait LOL I have never ever heard LNOE LIVE as in person can you add that in there somewhere:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom