Could U2 possibly be a bit more varied in how they pick songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've made my argument for varied setlists and it's very reasonable:

4 Songs at Every Single Show
6 Warhorse Spots (Rotated)
6-7 from New Album
6-7 Other (non-Warhorses)

Seems extremely reasonable and makes everyone happy.

I've made my argument for varied setlists and it's very reasonable:

4 Songs at Every Single Show
6 Warhorse Spots (Rotated)
6-7 from New Album
6-7 Other (non-Warhorses)

Seems extremely reasonable and makes everyone happy.

but once again, they're playing for the people in attendance, not the people reading setlists at home.

i'd like to know what the percentage of people that see multiple shows is. of all the people seeing U2 on this tour, i would bet that it's between 5-10%.

but once again, they're playing for the people in attendance, not the people reading setlists at home.

i'd like to know what the percentage of people that see multiple shows is. of all the people seeing U2 on this tour, i would bet that it's between 5-10%.

Even Bono acknowledged the fact that in today's time it is much easier to obtain information about setlists, either willingly or unwillingly. But even that doesn't matter as much as the fact that a lot of people in attendance do want to be surprised. That doesn't mean a show that would only include rarities would be a good thing, far from it. Not every casual fan wants a greatest-hits show. Like I said before - let's not generalize the casual fan - he or she can recognize a robotic, Broadway-like set when he sees one. A band like Depeche Mode is a classic example for that from my experience.

Even Bono acknowledged the fact that in today's time it is much easier to obtain information about setlists, either willingly or unwillingly. But even that doesn't matter as much as the fact that a lot of people in attendance do want to be surprised. That doesn't mean a show that would only include rarities would be a good thing, far from it. Not every casual fan wants a greatest-hits show. Like I said before - let's not generalize the casual fan - he or she can recognize a robotic, Broadway-like set when he sees one. A band like Depeche Mode is a classic example for that from my experience.

ok, but what kind of information leads you to believe that a lot of people in attendance want to be surprised. i believe that if you were to take a sample poll of 10,000 people at the concert, the results would not support your theory.

ok, but what kind of information leads you to believe that a lot of people in attendance want to be surprised. i believe that if you were to take a sample poll of 10,000 people at the concert, the results would not support your theory.

I strongly disagree. Every single person I've talked to who is going to a U2 show, and I'm talking about the "casual fan" here, does not want a phoned-in, tired best-of performance. Who would?

To be clear on this, although I'm a big critic of this new setlist, the phoned-in description is not the U2 concert today. But it could be more spontaneous and varied. Not to mention ROCKING.

I strongly disagree. Every single person I've talked to who is going to a U2 show, and I'm talking about the "casual fan" here, does not want a phoned-in, tired best-of performance. Who would?

To be clear on this, although I'm a big critic of this new setlist, the phoned-in description is not the U2 concert today. But it could be more spontaneous and varied. Not to mention ROCKING.

and how many people have you talked to?

A lot. 10000? Nah. How about you?

how much is a lot? i mean, if it's like 8, or even 30, that's not nearly enough to get a good sample of the entire population of U2 concert goers.

if i sat outside while thousands of people walked through the gates and asked them the question, "which song would you rather hear tonight, One Tree Hill or With Or Without You?" the results would heavily favor With Or Without You. sure there would be a good handful of people like me and you who wouldn't hesitate to answer "One Tree Hill", but let's step back and be realistic here.

how much is a lot? i mean, if it's like 8, or even 30, that's not nearly enough to get a good sample of the entire population of U2 concert goers.

if i sat outside while thousands of people walked through the gates and asked them the question, "which song would you rather hear tonight, One Tree Hill or With Or Without You?" the results would heavily favor With Or Without You. sure there would be a good handful of people like me and you who wouldn't hesitate to answer "One Tree Hill", but let's step back and be realistic here.

And this is in relation to my argument how? Not sure I follow. Like I said, I'm not for rarities or fan favourites exclusively replacing the classics.

yes you are.

Well, this shows that you've not read my posts. A bit less generalizing and more paying attention would be nice. Have a great setlist party, mikal. :up:

Well, this shows that you've not read my posts. A bit less generalizing and more paying attention would be nice. Have a great setlist party, mikal. :up:

lol. i've been paying attention, but i have been generalizing, because i believe that both the varied setlists and rarities arguments are one and the same.

have a good setlist party too. i guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.

Lots of speculation going on here. One of the problems is that the casual fan is neither as conservative nor as well-versed in U2 as many people are claiming. The casual fan is actually a spectrum and we can each only speak to a VERY limited experience with the casual fans we know. I'm guessing that U2 probably has a better grasp on who their audience is than any of us.

I also agree on there should be alot more variety, the first 6 or 7 songs from the barca show seemed like a greatest hits set list, but if you were only going to play about 4 known songs, then i can see an unhappy crowd going home.

sorry- WTF???

mmmm

Breathe
NLOTH
Magnificent
GOYB
Beautiful Day
ISHFWIF

hardly a greatest hits set

will people plse get over the fact that they're not doing 2 hours of b sides at each show

:lol:

Hey um I just called you. Were you busy? You didn't take my call. I'm a bit miffed about that.

i was calling moviefone. you wouldn't believe it. they play the same exact Transformers movie 5 times per day. no variation whatsoever. bastards!

Fishing much?

Run along back to your legitimate thread, this is clearly an illegitimate thread and would be a huge waste of your time and educated opinion.

:wave:

See Mikal, it was a simple mistake... Gvox's silly reply would show and there it is (see above):

So Gvox, again...

Let's hear you summarize my point of view. Surely, you can give a timely, accurate rendition of my take if you have the gaul to label it as such...

Back
Top Bottom