Complain & regret: Why so many songs sound worse on 360 ... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 06:44 PM
Complain & regret: Why so many songs sound worse on 360 ...

So, folks, following the rules of the forum: This thread is not about 360 tour in general (there are many others) nor about the (imposant) stage design.
It is neither about the new tracks live. It is designed only for the people, that like to share opinion about the decay of the 'old' tunes in the set.
In my eyes and ears U2 for the first time in their career sound somehat tired playing their old material, a lack of energy, emotion, conviction – and when playing rather hard, it is kind of auto-pilote.

What do you think, why the current versions of classics "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Bad", "With Or Without You" or "One" don't come up to the live standards, we love from our favourite band? And did you attend gigs, where you witnessed this, too? Let us exchange our personal analysis ...

Old 10-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:44 PM
The only songs that sounded tired to me was Mysterious Ways & Walk On (and Pride at Chicago I, dropped after that). Everything else sounds great.

Streets, SBS, and even One sound quite refreshing. And WOWY fits well next to UV.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopop View Post
The only songs that sounded tired to me was Mysterious Ways & Walk On (and Pride at Chicago I, dropped after that). Everything else sounds great.

Streets, SBS, and even One sound quite refreshing. And WOWY fits well next to UV.
Okay, and what more in detail did sound tired for you on MW & WO & Pride? guitar, singing, drums, overall feeling, tempo?
Old 10-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 01:44 PM
The only thing I disliked about Mys Ways was the omission of the solo. Otherwise, the other "warhorses" especially SBS sound AMAZING.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Old 10-19-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOTVTOURist View Post
Okay, and what more in detail did sound tired for you on MW & WO & Pride? guitar, singing, drums, overall feeling, tempo?
MW sounded really slow for some reason. I haven't really enjoyed this tune since the Popmart. And the solo missing doesn't really do justice to previous live versions.

Walk On doesn't fit the 360 tour and maybe Bono should plug his guitar back in for this song. Doesn't have that umph it had on the Elevation Tour.

Pride hasn't sounded good in a longtime and during the Chicago performance the crowd was not into this song at all. I think "Stuck..." was more rocking than Pride that night.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
MW sounded really slow for some reason. I haven't really enjoyed this tune since the Popmart. And the solo missing doesn't really do justice to previous live versions.
Yes, I do feel the same - though there were some really great, energetic performances in '01, too, especially on the last night in Miami.

Quote:
Walk On doesn't fit the 360 tour and maybe Bono should plug his guitar back in for this song. Doesn't have that umph it had on the Elevation Tour.
The 2nd guitar is definetely missing, and maybe all this mask-choreography really blocks the tune from going off ....

Quote:
Pride hasn't sounded good in a longtime and during the Chicago performance the crowd was not into this song at all. I think "Stuck..." was more rocking than Pride that night.
Thanx for sharing...
Old 10-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

For the first time since the JT tour I actually like SBS.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
For the first time since the JT tour I actually like SBS.
Excuse me, but this is not an appreciation thread, but only a complain and regret one. For appreciation, please turn to one of the zillion threads, where everything from 360 is hailed. If you do not like a current played 'old' U2 tune, please stay here and share why...
Old 10-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Excuse me, but this is not an appreciation thread, but only a complain and regret one. For appreciation, please turn to one of the zillion threads, where everything from 360 is hailed.
I see counting is another one of your weaknesses. There's exactly ONE appreciation thread in this forum on the first page the rest are questions and negative threads. Numbers are fun.

Quote:
If you do not like a current played 'old' U2 tune, please stay here and share why...
Does it have to be a song, because I know something tired and played out, even more so than WOWY... I'll give you one guess.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
Forum Moderator

Please let it go. Let's just have people complain about old songs in this thread if that's what they want to do.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:42 PM   #11
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblin rose View Post
Please let it go. Let's just have people complain about old songs in this thread if that's what they want to do.
Thanx, ramblin rose.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:44 AM
Quote:
Pride hasn't sounded good in a longtime and during the Chicago performance the crowd was not into this song at all.
I noticed that at the first Chicago show as well and thought it was completely weird. I was thrilled when they dropped it the next night!

I haven't heard MW yet, but think SBS sounds good, so the only one I really have an issue with is WOWY. Bono and the band sound bored, something I've never really heard from them before.

Some have said they think it's an intentional decision, but I think there's a big difference between "love-lorn and weary" and "just bored with playing the song."

If they were going for intentionally weary, then I think they went too far that way and landed on "just bored."
Old 10-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #13
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 01:44 PM
Sortof a pointless thread, and a spin off. To wit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
there are countless setlist bitching threads to post in. i suggest you keep your posts in those if you want to stay here.
Don't see much room in that directive to start an entirely new complaints thread, but hell, what do I know?

No more from me on it, however.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Old 10-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I noticed that at the first Chicago show as well and thought it was completely weird. I was thrilled when they dropped it the next night!

I haven't heard MW yet, but think SBS sounds good, so the only one I really have an issue with is WOWY. Bono and the band sound bored, something I've never really heard from them before.

Some have said they think it's an intentional decision, but I think there's a big difference between "love-lorn and weary" and "just bored with playing the song."

If they were going for intentionally weary, then I think they went too far that way and landed on "just bored."
It is more a: "We play stadiums, we are doomed to play the big crowd pleasers, we play them as big chorus oh-oh-oh-oh-singalaongs karaoke style."
One of those is WOWY, a tune Bono really has lost more and more inspiration from tour to tour since 1987. Personally I do see this tune in big problems since the late ZOO TV days, when it was mainly used as choreography expression the tired Macphisto to be tired. Then the days of the two-guitar driven emotional outing were counted and gone. Still, there were some rather fine examples of this tune during 2005.
Now, with the style of singing changed to crooning the tune, it does not touch me at all, but embarasses me, what has become of this epic song ...
Old 10-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #15
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:44 PM
wowy sounds pretty bad on this tour (its a very good song and maybe that justifies it being played - I went to a show in early 05 in Boston and they didnt play it and I felt somthing was just missing from the show)

I dont know what peoples problem is with pride yea its a warhorse so to speak but at least since 05 Bono actually can sing the song properly and do it justice. The notes he hits in that song entertain me enough so the song doest sound dull to me because B belts that stuff and he sounds great - he was singing the song very well up in till they dropped it