Complain & regret: Why so many songs sound worse on 360 ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just heard this on the radio, thought it fitting for this thread.

It was a review about another act, didn't catch who, but the only downside the DJ's said was about the concert is that they only played greatest hits. That the crowd usually likes that but the bigger fans don't usually appreciate it. AND they noted that U2 always throw in one or a few obscure songs for their fans.

So there you have it, the general public(these guys are by no means huge U2 fans, but do play at least one track every day), don't see the setlist complains and actually appreciate U2 for playing at least one or two rare track(s)!

:up: Thanks for sharing that. We, sometimes, forget about the world outside interference. Interference is my Earth. The rest are Vorlons, Minbaris, Klingons or Vulcans.

Well how about we have every studio album they make from now on completely flop? then the set list would be real easy. If they were washed up, then the setlist would be 2 new songs,vertigo,boots,beautiful day,2 or 3 songs from AB, then either TUF,TJT or WAR in its entirety, then a few 80's classics. At least you would know the score before the tour.

I just listened to a vertigo concert and im still disappointed at the 360's version of Vertigo, it just lacks a lot of energy with Bono not hitting the feel note all the time.

The concert i watched had Vertigo 2x in it and even with Vertigo at the end of the setlist he could still hit the feel note with ease. What has happened? Has his voice changed so much that he has trouble getting that note or is it just leaving it out?

It can't be hard on his voice to hit that note every night, he did it on vertigo as well and never had problems.

I just listened to a vertigo concert and im still disappointed at the 360's version of Vertigo, it just lacks a lot of energy with Bono not hitting the feel note all the time.

The concert i watched had Vertigo 2x in it and even with Vertigo at the end of the setlist he could still hit the feel note with ease. What has happened? Has his voice changed so much that he has trouble getting that note or is it just leaving it out?

It can't be hard on his voice to hit that note every night, he did it on vertigo as well and never had problems.

:up:Great posting IMO, thanx for sharing your point of view...

Does anyone know if the band has said why the cut the guitar solo on mysterious ways? It's be interesting to know why they cut it, if there is a reason. Just curious :D

When he tries to hit the note this tour, he hits it with ease. He's just changing the melody... it's not the first time.

I know but this time it just isn't working, i hope they will notice it as well and change it in 2010.

Vertigo just get's so much more energetic when Bono's hits the big feel notes, the song lives on that.

come on , pull a iron maiden or a Judas priest. lol. play a album in its entirety. this board wouldn't be able handle that event. lol.

BTW, I consider playing an album in its entirety (and in order) a sign of being a nostalgia act. And U2 is not a nostalgia act, so hopefully they won't do that for a while.
:)

That was a dig at Bruce's recent approach, I assume. I disagree. Nostalgia acts play the same jaded warhorses night after night. Bruce doesn't do that (180-odd songs on the Working On A Dream tour, including unreleased songs, obscure album tracks and covers) but I know a certain band that sometimes gets close to it! Moreover, Springsteen more than matches U2 for new material when he chooses to. When he supported Magic in 2008, he played 7 new tracks in the set. I should know because I went to Old Trafford. Now do not mistake me, I don't think U2 should play whole albums- their shows are too short compared with Bruce's to get much else in- but don't knock the approach. Moreover, I do think there's a case for an album-themed encore, perhaps Discotheque, Mofo and Gone in quick succession!

No, that wasn't a specific dig at Bruce's recent approach. Though with him playing full albums in its entirety (and in order) and then doing the whole picking-up-signs-to-play stuff I do think he's crossing into nostalgia territory. Especially as he's only playing 2 or 3 songs from his latest album. This is not to say that his concerts aren't great (last saw him on the Magic tour too and that was an excellent concert), it's just that it looks like he's looking more back than looking forward.

And the same holds for other acts that play full albums. They glorify their past because their future is drying up (to paraphrase a song by some band).

I don't think Popmartijn's post was a dig at Bruce
as he is a fan
and lots of bands have been doing this

but as that wouldn't really have fitted in with your usual shit parade I can appreciate why you went for this approach

One thing that annoys me about the 360 tour with regards to many songs sounding worse this tour than previous ones, is that the 'mix' of the vocals and guitar isn't balanced right. Sometimes Bono's vocals drown out the Edge's guitar and the Edge with Bono's vocals... One song that comes to mind is magnificent. I love this song but live the mix just isn't right.. Another example would be Mysterious Ways, the guitar seems a lot quieter than the Vertigo version.

I think the best sound live for U2 was during the Vertigo Tour as they seemed to get everything very clean, clear and balanced. The 360 tour I keep hearing problems with the guitar being too quiet or Bono's vocals too loud and echoey, larry's drums having a bit of a 'DRC' applied to them. Not sure what they changed this tour with the sound exactly but I wish they'd go back to what they did with the sound during the Vertigo tour namely the 2005/2006 leg.

I don't think Popmartijn's post was a dig at Bruce
as he is a fan
and lots of bands have been doing this

but as that wouldn't really have fitted in with your usual shit parade I can appreciate why you went for this approach

Why thank you. :D To be fair my reply to his post wasn't especially abusive or unreasonable. I just happened to point out that U2 have a greater attachment to warhorses than Bruce and by that yardstick alone, it could be argued U2 are more of a nostalgia act.

No, that wasn't a specific dig at Bruce's recent approach. Though with him playing full albums in its entirety (and in order) and then doing the whole picking-up-signs-to-play stuff I do think he's crossing into nostalgia territory. Especially as he's only playing 2 or 3 songs from his latest album. This is not to say that his concerts aren't great (last saw him on the Magic tour too and that was an excellent concert), it's just that it looks like he's looking more back than looking forward.

And the same holds for other acts that play full albums. They glorify their past because their future is drying up (to paraphrase a song by some band).

Well that's a fair point, but I do think it is admirable that Bruce is covering all the bases while he still has the energy to- it makes each show unique. Now if the price you pay for that is to veer into nostalgia, so be it in my view. I agree that he undersold Working On A Dream a bit but it's probably not the easiest album to translate. I chortled (bitterly) to myself when I read that line from God Part 2 since for much of this decade, U2 seem to have done exactly that.

I just happened to point out that U2 have a greater attachment to warhorses than Bruce

I'm not sure about that. Yes, U2 have songs they seem to play every tour, but so does Bruce. Born To Run, Thunder Road, Badlands, She's The One, The Promised Land, Dancing In The Dark, Lonesome Day seem to be played about every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom