Complain & regret: Why so many songs sound worse on 360 ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got goosebumps just reading what you typed:up::up:

100% agreed – same to me ... By the way, @seth, when looking at your icon, I'd like to speculate, whether longer hair might push Bono to more stage presence and better song versions:- How I do like this ca. '85/86 look of our B-man.

Take the in this forum so much beloved "Pride", for example. First, a son-of-Jim-Morrison-shaman-version from 1986 – compared to the perfunctory current we-play-under-the machine-tour version (with not so good view, but good sound, to hear the difference)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CkzAZy5aN8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMV0x--JguE

No. But my dislike for how (bad) the new songs are delivered live from Barca 1 on, surely not has made me very enthusiastic about the tour. If the band would have played the new material in a IMO more energetic, convincing and inspired way, I would feel different. It's just the way it is, just my observation ...

fair enough. matter of opinion.

Thank you for being so interested in my posts – and, yes, I am a pretty decent guy.

i remember enjoying what you had put together. it's too bad that you didn't enjoy NLOTH.

I did not accuse you of lying. Great, when you attended & enjoyed ZOO TV.

you clearly did accuse me of lying in that thread. although LoveTownTourist took the fall because he talked back to Sicy and Diemen, you were as much involved as he was in trying to accuse me of lying about attending a ZooTV Tour. to be honest, that's the only reason that i give you a hard time. if you would have kindly apologized and just said that the arguing and the moment got to you, then fine. but instead, you've danced around it and acted like you're the innocent one, accusing the mod staff of allowing bad language and personal attacks when you're just as guilty as the one's you're accusing.

but once again, apologize for accusing me of lying about attending a ZooTV concert, and i'll apologize for personally attacking you a couple days ago.

Any chance they ever do less shows a year but play for 3 hours. Do a Springsteen style set? would solve a alot of setlist desires.

Any chance they ever do less shows a year but play for 3 hours. Do a Springsteen style set? would solve a alot of setlist desires.

That really wouldn't make any sense... Why do less shows?

Look I'm glad Springsteen plays for so long, but that's pretty rare, even for younger bands who have the stamina... If you've ever sung in public, you would know that singing for three hours is extremely exhausting. It helps that Springsteen's band jams and extends songs every once in awhile so he can rest his voice.

i give props to Springsteen for playing for 3 hours. i personally don't think Bono's voice could handle it. read that how you want. some people might automatically say that Bruce is better for that fact. but i would rather take 1 good hour of U2 than 3 hours of Bruce. but that's just me.

If Bruce sang like Bono, he wouldn't be able to do it for three hours either...

The only singer that sings similar to Bono intensity wise(as far as technique goes, not emotion) and used to be able to last longer is Eddie Vedder, but even he can't do 3 hours straight anymore.

I do think the same sometimes. Such a show is impossible? I doubt that. Take U2 playing up to 24-26 songs. In this figure, slots like "Unchained Melody" or "Amazing Grace" are included. Bono can sing shows like that on a regular basis, often enough proven during the 2005/06 tour and even the current tour.

Then we have another good singer in the band, who has not had such an outing for ages. Give The Edge two, mabe even three slots in the setlists, where he can perform tunes as the lead vocalist. And I am not talking about him performing only "his" tunes VDL or Numb. In '93 it was great to see him perform also a tune like "Party Girl" or even the funny snatch of "Lost Highway", originally performed by Bono. This in mind, The Edge could do even one or two 'obscure' songs from U2's catalogue, as full band versions or even more acoustic. Plus: Why not bring Larry out for a tune like in '93 – this was awesome, too.

In the end we do talk about a setlist nearly scratching the magic 30 song slots mark with lots of space for variety –something that IS in the category of Springsteen shows.

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

The guy isn't Sampson - the key to his charisma and rock-god status is not in his hair.

Yes, I am kidding. Also heard Bono perform excellent with a short hair cut. But it was a nice way of comparing the highly energetic "Pride" of '86 with the shadow of this crowd-pleaser and its performance in '09.:D

So shut up already you guys and quit giving this dead thread more talking points. :angry:
:wink:

You think this thread is dead, then why do you post here – obviously without contributing anything to the topic? :hmm:
So, why not simply leave here, if you do not like it, or at least tell us what do you think about U2's versions of 'old' songs during the 360 tour?

I do think the same sometimes. Such a show is impossible? I doubt that. Take U2 playing up to 24-26 songs. In this figure, slots like "Unchained Melody" or "Amazing Grace" are included. Bono can sing shows like that on a regular basis, often enough proven during the 2005/06 tour and even the current tour.

Then we have another good singer in the band, who has not had such an outing for ages. Give The Edge two, mabe even three slots in the setlists, where he can perform tunes as the lead vocalist. And I am not talking about him performing only "his" tunes VDL or Numb. In '93 it was great to see him perform also a tune like "Party Girl" or even the funny snatch of "Lost Highway", originally performed by Bono. This in mind, The Edge could do even one or two 'obscure' songs from U2's catalogue, as full band versions or even more acoustic. Plus: Why not bring Larry out for a tune like in '93 – this was awesome, too.

In the end we do talk about a setlist nearly scratching the magic 30 song slots mark with lots of space for variety –something that IS in the category of Springsteen shows.

I'd be all for Edge singing Lemon.

However, Larry can't sing.

If Bruce sang like Bono, he wouldn't be able to do it for three hours either...

The only singer that sings similar to Bono intensity wise(as far as technique goes, not emotion) and used to be able to last longer is Eddie Vedder, but even he can't do 3 hours straight anymore.

The Philadelphia Halloween 2009 show was 3.5 hours long. The voice made it. And there were some other very long shows this tour. Although I think the other way around; Vedder and Bono are pretty similar in their frontmanship and the emotion they put into it, but I do believe that it's a bit harder for Bono to sing all those notes from the U2 catalogue. Not to say that Eddie has his share of pretty fucked up songs to sing as well.

You think this thread is dead, then why do you post here – obviously without contributing anything to the topic? :hmm:
So, why not simply leave here, if you do not like it, or at least tell us what do you think about U2's versions of 'old' songs during the 360 tour?

On topic:

I think the old songs are great.

Somewhat related: The thread is dead because you've beaten whatever few valid points you may have had to death. I mean, when all you've got is a nervous joke (ie I doubt you were fully joking, but I digress..) about whether his hair length affects his performance...what exactly are you contributing to the thread, anymore? :wave: :wave: :wave:

I posted the following in another thread but think it appropriate here and I think it goes a long way towards explaining why lots of repeat show, hardcores feel disappointed alot: "I think a major reason why some long-time, loyal, passionate U2 fans are justified in feeling frustrated these days is because U2 is not even pretending to cater to them anymore in terms of live performances. I mean, why can't U2 just play 40 once at the close of a show, even if it is just one verse Bono and Edge acoustically? Don't they know how happy even that little gesture would make those hardcore fans who stayed past MOS? Doesn't the band recall how magical it was for thousands of folks to leave a stadium singing "how long" on the way out? It's the little things like that which are clearly in their control that simply don't occur anymore and while I resign myself to having no expectations, I understand the frustration of fans."

also, i think it is awful when fans are belittled for being excited about reading setlists on the internet and then being disappointed when those setlists never change. It might be one thing if you never got to hear or see clips of the show, but if I wake up one day and see they closed with Bad unexpectedly, or played 40, or what have you- hey, I later get a little 5:00 minute bonus part of my day on Youtube. I couldn't care less that they play MOS for the 61st straight time.

Makes me think, you have a good point, too. Thanx for sharing ...

Yes, but that was rare, my point was they used to play longer shows every night.

Look at the next sentence I wrote. There were plenty of longer shows this tour. I think the average length of a 2009 PJ show is about 2 hours, 20 minutes. As long as it ever was. Maybe the 2003 tour would be longer in average, but other than that, things haven't changed in that department. I believe the 2009 Springsteen shows are a bit longer in average, but still don't amount to more than 2.5 hours.

Look at the next sentence I wrote. There were plenty of longer shows this tour. I think the average length of a 2009 PJ show is about 2 hours, 20 minutes. As long as it ever was. Maybe the 2003 tour would be longer in average, but other than that, things haven't changed in that department. I believe the 2009 Springsteen shows are a bit longer in average, but still don't amount to more than 2.5 hours.

:up: And, as quoted above, 2.5 hours is possible for a U2 show – especially when you five The Edge also some lead vocal slots and so some breaks for the B-man. To return to the topic: It would be interesting to hear & see, how Edge would transform some 'old' U2 tunes. His versions of Party Girly or SBS were innovative, inspired, and, yes, I did enjoy them a lot ...

i said less shows because his voice would need more time to recover if it was 3 hours. How about a grateful dead style show where they play for a hour then take a 40 min break then play for 2 more hours? lol. Thats the solution. I have seen the dead twice and the first time they played that way. did seem kinda odd. lol. The second time was like a 4 hour show with a normal break.

i said less shows because his voice would need more time to recover if it was 3 hours.
This would defeat the whole purpose. So Dallas might get a longer show, but TX as a whole would get less exposure. Basically we're just getting back to the selfish fan syndrome, me me me...

The human voice is pretty resilient, it's not that you need 3 days to recover from a longer show, it's that getting the voice to be able to do 3 hours without going out is the hard part. I don't think the way Bono sings, he's ever been able to do that, no matter how young or in shape he was.

How about a grateful dead style show where they play for a hour then take a 40 min break then play for 2 more hours? lol. Thats the solution.

I don't think there's enough drugs or hemp shops to keep people entertained during such a long break.

I just heard this on the radio, thought it fitting for this thread.

It was a review about another act, didn't catch who, but the only downside the DJ's said was about the concert is that they only played greatest hits. That the crowd usually likes that but the bigger fans don't usually appreciate it. AND they noted that U2 always throw in one or a few obscure songs for their fans.

So there you have it, the general public(these guys are by no means huge U2 fans, but do play at least one track every day), don't see the setlist complains and actually appreciate U2 for playing at least one or two rare track(s)!

I know u2 would never do a 3 hour show and really wasn't serious that they would start doing the dead style show. But yea, a 3 hour show would proly satisfy alot of people. You get a bit of everything anyone could want. Deep cuts, old hits,new tracks, rare tracks, maybe a cover.

I know u2 would never do a 3 hour show and really wasn't serious that they would start doing the dead style show. But yea, a 3 hour show would proly satisfy alot of people. You get a bit of everything anyone could want. Deep cuts, old hits,new tracks, rare tracks, maybe a cover.

But it would just bring another new thing for people to bitch about how a U2 show "dragged" on for 3 hours etc etc, imo they have it spot on with the amount of time they are on stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom