Complain & regret: Why so many songs sound worse on 360 ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOOTVTOURist

Refugee
So, folks, following the rules of the forum: This thread is not about 360 tour in general (there are many others) nor about the (imposant) stage design.
It is neither about the new tracks live. It is designed only for the people, that like to share opinion about the decay of the 'old' tunes in the set.
In my eyes and ears U2 for the first time in their career sound somehat tired playing their old material, a lack of energy, emotion, conviction – and when playing rather hard, it is kind of auto-pilote.

What do you think, why the current versions of classics "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Bad", "With Or Without You" or "One" don't come up to the live standards, we love from our favourite band? And did you attend gigs, where you witnessed this, too? Let us exchange our personal analysis ...

The only songs that sounded tired to me was Mysterious Ways & Walk On (and Pride at Chicago I, dropped after that). Everything else sounds great.

Streets, SBS, and even One sound quite refreshing. And WOWY fits well next to UV.

The only songs that sounded tired to me was Mysterious Ways & Walk On (and Pride at Chicago I, dropped after that). Everything else sounds great.

Streets, SBS, and even One sound quite refreshing. And WOWY fits well next to UV.

Okay, and what more in detail did sound tired for you on MW & WO & Pride? guitar, singing, drums, overall feeling, tempo?

Okay, and what more in detail did sound tired for you on MW & WO & Pride? guitar, singing, drums, overall feeling, tempo?

MW sounded really slow for some reason. I haven't really enjoyed this tune since the Popmart. And the solo missing doesn't really do justice to previous live versions.

Walk On doesn't fit the 360 tour and maybe Bono should plug his guitar back in for this song. Doesn't have that umph it had on the Elevation Tour.

Pride hasn't sounded good in a longtime and during the Chicago performance the crowd was not into this song at all. I think "Stuck..." was more rocking than Pride that night.

MW sounded really slow for some reason. I haven't really enjoyed this tune since the Popmart. And the solo missing doesn't really do justice to previous live versions.

Yes, I do feel the same - though there were some really great, energetic performances in '01, too, especially on the last night in Miami.

Walk On doesn't fit the 360 tour and maybe Bono should plug his guitar back in for this song. Doesn't have that umph it had on the Elevation Tour.
The 2nd guitar is definetely missing, and maybe all this mask-choreography really blocks the tune from going off ....

Pride hasn't sounded good in a longtime and during the Chicago performance the crowd was not into this song at all. I think "Stuck..." was more rocking than Pride that night.

Thanx for sharing...

For the first time since the JT tour I actually like SBS.

Excuse me, but this is not an appreciation thread, but only a complain and regret one. For appreciation, please turn to one of the zillion threads, where everything from 360 is hailed. If you do not like a current played 'old' U2 tune, please stay here and share why...:wave:

Excuse me, but this is not an appreciation thread, but only a complain and regret one. For appreciation, please turn to one of the zillion threads, where everything from 360 is hailed.
I see counting is another one of your weaknesses. There's exactly ONE appreciation thread in this forum on the first page the rest are questions and negative threads. Numbers are fun.

If you do not like a current played 'old' U2 tune, please stay here and share why...:wave:

Does it have to be a song, because I know something tired and played out, even more so than WOWY... I'll give you one guess.

Please let it go. Let's just have people complain about old songs in this thread if that's what they want to do.

Pride hasn't sounded good in a longtime and during the Chicago performance the crowd was not into this song at all.

I noticed that at the first Chicago show as well and thought it was completely weird. I was thrilled when they dropped it the next night!

I haven't heard MW yet, but think SBS sounds good, so the only one I really have an issue with is WOWY. Bono and the band sound bored, something I've never really heard from them before.

Some have said they think it's an intentional decision, but I think there's a big difference between "love-lorn and weary" and "just bored with playing the song."

If they were going for intentionally weary, then I think they went too far that way and landed on "just bored."

I noticed that at the first Chicago show as well and thought it was completely weird. I was thrilled when they dropped it the next night!

I haven't heard MW yet, but think SBS sounds good, so the only one I really have an issue with is WOWY. Bono and the band sound bored, something I've never really heard from them before.

Some have said they think it's an intentional decision, but I think there's a big difference between "love-lorn and weary" and "just bored with playing the song."

If they were going for intentionally weary, then I think they went too far that way and landed on "just bored."

It is more a: "We play stadiums, we are doomed to play the big crowd pleasers, we play them as big chorus oh-oh-oh-oh-singalaongs karaoke style."
One of those is WOWY, a tune Bono really has lost more and more inspiration from tour to tour since 1987. Personally I do see this tune in big problems since the late ZOO TV days, when it was mainly used as choreography expression the tired Macphisto to be tired. Then the days of the two-guitar driven emotional outing were counted and gone. Still, there were some rather fine examples of this tune during 2005.
Now, with the style of singing changed to crooning the tune, it does not touch me at all, but embarasses me, what has become of this epic song ...

wowy sounds pretty bad on this tour (its a very good song and maybe that justifies it being played - I went to a show in early 05 in Boston and they didnt play it and I felt somthing was just missing from the show)

I dont know what peoples problem is with pride yea its a warhorse so to speak but at least since 05 Bono actually can sing the song properly and do it justice. The notes he hits in that song entertain me enough so the song doest sound dull to me because B belts that stuff and he sounds great - he was singing the song very well up in till they dropped it

Mysterious Ways: sloppy and flat. Besides the solo omission, the drum/bass section clearly lot some of the groovy vibe it once had (the drums gave place to something very ordinary).

I Still Haven't Found what I'm Looking For: I still haven't found why is the band still play this song (besides the crowd pleasing reason).

With Or Without You: Tired and uninspired. A little shadow of what once it was.

One: The live versions never matched the intensity of the studio version, anyway, Zoo TV and Elevation versions were pretty good. This time it's not the worst thing ever, but it's been better.

Where The Streets Have No Name: Pretty much the same. This song always works great in a setlist but we have to admit that Vertigo's and 360's performances are much weaker what this song was too.

Sunday Bloody Sunday: I'm glad this song gained some energy it had lost but... Where's the final section? I'm always waiting for Larry to keep on drumming the second after it ends.

Pride: No need to say more. It's a clever decisio to drop it on most shows, specially because "Walk On" can do "Pride"'s role in a U2 setlist...

Walk On: It was better on Elevation tour and, as someone said, the second guitar's missing, but it is good to see it taking "Pride"'s place.

Stuck In A Moment: One of the few songs that got some extra vibe comparing to some past performances... Although I'd replace it by some of NLOTH never played songs.

Beautiful Day: Probably the only classic that it still rocks and that gets better tour after tour.

The Unforgettable Fire: Not bad, I applaude it's come back but it's no way the shinning star of the 1980's performances.

Mysterious Ways: sloppy and flat. Besides the solo omission, the drum/bass section clearly lot some of the groovy vibe it once had (the drums gave place to something very ordinary).

I Still Haven't Found what I'm Looking For: I still haven't found why is the band still play this song (besides the crowd pleasing reason).

One: The live versions never matched the intensity of the studio version, anyway, Zoo TV and Elevation versions were pretty good. This time it's not the worst thing ever, but it's been better.

Where The Streets Have No Name: Pretty much the same. This song always works great in a setlist but we have to admit that Vertigo's and 360's performances are much weaker what this song was too.

Sunday Bloody Sunday: I'm glad this song gained some energy it had lost but... Where's the final section? I'm always waiting for Larry to keep on drumming the second after it ends.

Pride: No need to say more. It's a clever decisio to drop it on most shows, specially because "Walk On" can do "Pride"'s role in a U2 setlist...

Walk On: It was better on Elevation tour and, as someone said, the second guitar's missing, but it is good to see it taking "Pride"'s place.

Stuck In A Moment: One of the few songs that got some extra vibe comparing to some past performances... Although I'd replace it by some of NLOTH never played songs.

Beautiful Day: Probably the only classic that it still rocks and that gets better tour after tour.

The Unforgettable Fire: Not bad, I applaude it's come back but it's no way the shinning star of the 1980's performances.

Have you actually been to a 360 show?

Unforgettable Fire is absolutely breathtaking live. And the performance of Streets on the Sheffield broadcast was the best I've ever heard. As for I Still Havent Found, you answered your own question, the crowd love it, so much so that Bono doesnt even need to sing for half of it.

Have you actually been to a 360 show?

Unforgettable Fire is absolutely breathtaking live. And the performance of Streets on the Sheffield broadcast was the best I've ever heard. As for I Still Havent Found, you answered your own question, the crowd love it, so much so that Bono doesnt even need to sing for half of it.

If he doesn't like any song in the setlist, he doesn't like any song in the setlist. That's what this thread is for. No need to counter.

I like the reworked versions of Mysterious Ways played on the Zoo TV Tour and the Elevation Tour. The 360 version is shorter. Also MW was visually great on the past tours(Zoo TV, Elevation). The Popmart and Vertigo versions were ok as well.

WOWY: In need of a serious rest. Although only a hand full of Vertigo versions were great, most at least did the song justice. Now, it is just not up to par live. No surprises, its Bono here.

MW:This is played noticeably slower, and its the 1st time I have ever got a "we are half assing this" feel from U2. It was still fun to hear at my shows, but I refer everyone to the Chicago Vertigo DVD. The song is extended with the slide solo like it was in previous live performances, in fact overall, Edge turns in an unbelievable performance here. Just listen to how he makes that guitar scream as soon as the girl hits the stage! Same deal with Larry- the drums are noticeably toned down on the 360 versions; he is hitting with both sticks at the same time on the same snare. On Chicago DVD, he is moving around the kit alot more, hitting the cymbals, playing the toms, etc. What happened guys? This song was almost great(Bono not quite there yet) on Elevation and great only 3 years ago on Vertigo.

Pride: I thought sounded great- ever since the Vertigo Tour. On 360, it seemed to me it was just like Vertigo, but even a bit faster with Bono holding the chorus longer. Ironically enough, I think Chicago 1 ranked with the inauguration rehearsal performance as one of the best Pride's since 1986. Need to rotate this in, or at least play it with the same frequency as NYD.

SBS: Easily the best since JT.

One: About equal to Vertigo, maybe a little better.

Still Haven't Found: Is back- drums and bass in from the beginning instead of at the 2nd verse, stand by me snippet back. I am liking it this tour.

All of these songs sound better than on the Vertigo tour, except WOWY.

But you just had to start a new negative thread about the setlist, right? The ones we have here aren't enough for you.

you get off on being negative, don't you? I can't even take your posts seriously anymore....:rolleyes:

I don't think One has sounded this good since ZooTV, its debut tour, and SBS fucking owns this time (Sheffield performance, for example).

All of these songs sound better than on the Vertigo tour, except WOWY.

But you just had to start a new negative thread about the setlist, right? The ones we have here aren't enough for you.

you get off on being negative, don't you? I can't even take your posts seriously anymore....:rolleyes:

I don't think One has sounded this good since ZooTV, its debut tour, and SBS fucking owns this time (Sheffield performance, for example).

This is a complaint thread. Let's leave it at that. Please.

There's two songs which have a minor problem.

MW: No solo, we can all agree on that one.
Ultraviolet: In the "I remember when we could sleep on stones"-part, Edge used to play an incredible array of notes that matched the chords, but on this tour, he just plays the long, less interesting parts. I prefer the ZOOTV version. (But Bono sings this one a bit better, so it's all most a tie)

All of these songs sound better than on the Vertigo tour

Please could you tell us WHY you come to this conclusion, everybody can say that is better than that....here we wanna here WHY you come to this conclusion.

and SBS fucking owns this time

Could you please go more in detail why you come to this conclusion, its easy to say it owns this time it owns that time please let us know in detail why you think so.

But Bono sings this one a bit better

So you think Bono reaches the higher notes this time even better than at the age of 32??? And puts this time more emotions into the song during swinging like tarzan on a mic??? I can´t hardly agree with you mate.

@ mama cass

This thread is not for making statements with hyroglyphs or smilies, if you have not arguments leave the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom