Complain & regret: Why so many songs sound worse on 360 ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ZooTV RTTS, elevation and vertigo Fly, i consider those reinventions. on 360, perhaps TUF and UV came the closest to partial reinvention, in how they differed from studio and previous live versions. the rest of the pre-NLOTH songs, however terrible or awesome any particular version sounded to you, were pretty much U2 paint by numbers.

:up:

I was going back through the Vertigo setlists, and I'm surprised at how much they changed up the setlists from city to city. WGRYWH full electric, discotheque for 2 shows, window in the skies, OOTS. I had such a bad opinion of the tour because of the Streets intro and the acoustic sets I had to put with on the shows I went to. I wish I had been to some of 2nd and 5th leg shows. I went to the 2 Phoenix, 2 Oct Boston and first 4 NY, and Dallas shows and the only surprises I got to experience were AIWIY and Angel of Harlem.

now that the second leg is done, i'd like to present some stats courtesy of u2gigs.com:

vertigo tour:
leg 1: 29 shows, 35 songs
leg 2: 32 shows, 37 songs

360 tour:
leg 1: 25 shows, 35 songs
leg 2: 20 shows, 31 songs

so yeah. 360 has so far been as diverse as vertigo. of course when everyone thinks back to vertigo, they think of all five legs combined, which is just unfair to compare an entire tour to less than half of another. but no one ever seems to want to address this point.

edit: this is not addressed at anyone in particular, but rather the scores of people who've been saying this since the tour started.)

Yes, but statistics by figures is not everything. Also not addressed at anyone particular:

Vertigo Leg 1 versus 360 Leg 1 means also:

- 2005 we got three varying opening tracks (COBL, LAPOE and "Vertigo") and even three varying closer tunes ("40", "Vertigo" and even "Bad"), while in 2009 we only had one opener "Breathe" and one closer "MOS", always the same songs

- 2005 we got five tunes from BOY, plus even one tune from OCTOBER; in 2009 the 'early' albums were omitted completely!

- 2005 we got three tunes from WAR, while in 2009 there were only two (one more on each side, if you count "Party Girl" here ...).

- 2005 we had only 2 tracks from TUF, but five tunes from TJT; 2009 we had the recent record of 4 tunes from TUF, but only 3 tunes from TJT plus also 2 tunes from RAH.

- 2005 we had 6 songs from AB, 2009 only 4 ...

Vertigo Leg 2 versus 360 Leg 2 also means:

2005 we had a rather static leg in Europe, though still the career spanning approach from the early days on (and some exceptional gigs setlist-wise). 2009 has been the most boring leg setlist-wise for years – with no real exceptional gig at all regarding shaking it all up and much less tunes in the shelf...

Only in the day of internet trolldum do statistics and setlists of shows you've never seen make sense in discussing something like music...

Fucking Beethoven is laughing at all of us.

Yes, but statistics by figures is not everything. Also not addressed at anyone particular:

Vertigo Leg 1 versus 360 Leg 1 means also:

- 2005 we got three varying opening tracks (COBL, LAPOE and "Vertigo") and even three varying closer tunes ("40", "Vertigo" and even "Bad"), while in 2009 we only had one opener "Breathe" and one closer "MOS", always the same songs

- 2005 we got five tunes from BOY, plus even one tune from OCTOBER; in 2009 the 'early' albums were omitted completely!

- 2005 we got three tunes from WAR, while in 2009 there were only two (one more on each side, if you count "Party Girl" here ...).

- 2005 we had only 2 tracks from TUF, but five tunes from TJT; 2009 we had the recent record of 4 tunes from TUF, but only 3 tunes from TJT plus also 2 tunes from RAH.

- 2005 we had 6 songs from AB, 2009 only 4 ...

Vertigo Leg 2 versus 360 Leg 2 also means:

2005 we had a rather static leg in Europe, though still the career spanning approach from the early days on (and some exceptional gigs setlist-wise). 2009 has been the most boring leg setlist-wise for years – with no real exceptional gig at all regarding shaking it all up and much less tunes in the shelf...
i might start to agree with you when you get lovetowntourist in here to agree with you.

Only in the day of internet trolldum do statistics and setlists of shows you've never seen make sense in discussing something like music...

Fucking Beethoven is laughing at all of us.
i know. i don't care if the show i see is the same as 15 other shows. as long as i didn't see them, who cares? i also don't see why it matters how many songs from a particular album was played or why that's an indicator of variety, but i guess i don't get it.

yea, i have to admit it got a little boring the second half of the tour. Checking the setlists was a waste of time. did the encore change once?

When it comes down to it, I'd rather have a few good rarities than a bunch of less-good ones. I'll take TUF, UV, and YBR over TEC, The Ocean, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, Gloria, and WGRYWH any day.

When it comes down to it, I'd rather have a few good rarities than a bunch of less-good ones. I'll take TUF, UV, and YBR over TEC, The Ocean, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, Gloria, and WGRYWH any day.
This.
But of course that comes down to personal taste. TUF is my favourite and UV is my third favourite U2 song.

And I'd rather have these rarities played Nightly so I would actually see them at my own show than to have them show up at a show I"m not at.

:grumpy: Yes I'm speaking to you there Electrical Storm!!!!*shakes fist*

But checking the setlists before that was somehow thrilling? So reading a setlist does something for you?

1237576337_daffy-jerking.gif

Watch what you say about Gloria!

yeah, i dunno. i'd certainly be pleased to hear any of those four songs, but ybr is different. i was crying happy tears during the performance. i doubt i'd react that way to gloria.

not debatable? so your opinion is a fact then?

I've noticed that some people have a hard time with figures of speech. A hard time as in, they don't fucking get it. His OPINION is that it's not debatable! For fucks sake...

Anyway, Your Blue Room is just as good as Gloria and An Cat Dubh and far better than Electric Co, but the latter is the only one that is close to good live these days. Gloria was pittiful on the last tour, and Cat was OK, but the crowds are shite.

But checking the setlists before that was somehow thrilling? So reading a setlist does something for you?

Yeah, it can pretty cool. Like checking out Pearl Jam's 40 song set last week. Or seeing that Blur played Oily Water, the Verve played Already There and so on. I like it when bands I like unexpectedly play songs that aren't obvious and that I love. Some people only want to hear Parklife or Bittersweet Symphony though.

I've noticed that some people have a hard time with figures of speech. A hard time as in, they don't fucking get it. His OPINION is that it's not debatable!

Actually, I think you have a hard time with figures of speech. Even if Gvox says it's "not debatable", I'm pretty sure he's open to the remote possibility that he might be wrong... he'd just have to be presented with a very, very, very, very, very, very, very strong case. He'll likely dismiss all counterpoints and you're likely to not convince him but that doesn't mean he thinks it's, literally, not open to debate. It's a figure of speech.

I've noticed that some people have a hard time with figures of speech. A hard time as in, they don't fucking get it. His OPINION is that it's not debatable! For fucks sake...

Anyway, Your Blue Room is just as good as Gloria and An Cat Dubh and far better than Electric Co, but the latter is the only one that is close to good live these days. Gloria was pittiful on the last tour, and Cat was OK, but the crowds are shite.

you're such a nice person! :)

making fun of someone who checks setlists IN A SETLIST FORUM! WOW! UNREAL. Up next, people who get their mail after the mailman delivers it. how fucked up is that?

Yeah, it can pretty cool. Like checking out Pearl Jam's 40 song set last week. Or seeing that Blur played Oily Water, the Verve played Already There and so on. I like it when bands I like unexpectedly play songs that aren't obvious and that I love. Some people only want to hear Parklife or Bittersweet Symphony though.

But what did seeing that The Verve played 'Already There' really do for you? You weren't there so you didn't get to hear it. I'm just curious because I don't really get it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom