Complain & regret: Why so many songs sound worse on 360 ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we can judge an entire first tour based on first-night performance quality.

Now compare Popmart night 2 with Barcelona 2 and then let's see if you can still somehow twist everything to make POpmart win again.

This thread is jam packed with so much bs it's incredible...why do people insist on comparing the 360 Tour with past tours and leap to these nonsensical conclusions and make these huge generalizations about the 360 Tour when we've only had 2 legs? It makes no sense whatsoever...if the Vertigo never had a 5th leg, I think it's fair to say it would be viewed as a much weaker tour for most people...but anyway, that's not even relevant, just something to consider...the fact of the matter is it makes no sense at all to compare a tour that began only 6 months ago to past tours like the vertigo tour that spanned over 3 years!

So, POPmart the worst tour? No way. You name it: The worst tour in my eyes and ears is 360. One of the many reasons why, some of you may think about again with the ideas I wrote here ...:hmm:
By the way: I hope for the better in 2010 – and wish you all the best for the new year!

ZOOTVTOURist...sorry if I'm missing something here...but did you seriously just conclude that Popmart was "no way" the worst tour based on a first show comparison with the 360 Tour (which btw probably isn't even half over)? And then you declare the 360 Tour as the worst tour....? Your opinion really loses credibility when you say stuff like this....and you just come off as a 360 Tour hater, almost as if you want it to fail. :shrug:

Now compare Popmart night 2 with Barcelona 2 and then let's see if you can still somehow twist everything to make POpmart win again.
Rather difficult idea, because you have to compare a cut short 21 song slot show in San Diego and a "let's make it better than the first night" show with 24 song slots in Barca.

But, hey, if you feel more satisfied...

1. Mofo vs. Breathe (1:0)

2. I Will Follow vs. No Line On The Horizon (2:0)
...the NLOTH has not had the energy in Bono's performance as the night before, and so the much more rocking BOY tune (in an exceptional San Diego performance) has to win (as on all the other following 360 nights in comparison, too)

3. Even Better Than The Real Thing vs. Get On Your Boots (3:0)

4. Do You Feel Loved? vs. Magnificent (4:1)

5. Pride (In The Name Of Love) vs. Beautiful Day (5:2)

6. I Still Haven't Found... vs. I Still Haven't Found... (6:3)

7. Last Night On Earth vs. Desire (7:4)

8. Gone vs. Party Girl (8:5)
As for the 360 tour exceptional 'additional' acoustic spot makes a credit, but not the musical quality:)

9. x vs. Electrical Storm (8:6)
There is no slot here in '97. But apart from this, this has to be a winner for 360. Hey, why did U2 play this gem only 3 times – not really a representative slot for the whole tour (45 shows!). By the way, let's be honest, the version was not good.

10. Until The End Of The World vs. Unknown Caller (9:6)

11. If God Will Send His Angels vs. The Unforgettable Fire (9:7)

12. Staring At The Sun vs. City Of Blinding Lights (10:7)
One of the best versions of the full band POP single in '97 clearly beats a 360 outing of COBL ...

13. Daydream Believer (Edge Karaoke) vs. Vertigo (10:8)

14. Miami vs. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (11:9)

15. Bullet The Blue Sky vs. Sunday Bloody Sunday (12:10)
Lucky that I am very kind to the perfunctory 'always played in the same way' SBS version in 360 – because BTBS in San Diego was simply breathtaking ...

16. Please vs. Pride (In The Name Of Love) (13:10)

17. Where The Streets Have No Name vs. MLK (14:11)

18. Discothèque vs. Walk On (15:11)
Here you have the POP rocker in first blossom, what a great night it was. And what a shadow WO is to its '01 outing. Sorry, 360 ...

19. x vs. Where The Streets Have No Name (15:12)
This clearly goes to 2009, with U2 skipping this slot completly (an axception for the tour!), obviously not knowing, how to deal with IYWTVD ...

20. With Or Without You vs. One (16:13)
A great, emotional & long WOWY performance versus a perfunctory AB anthem. Again big kindness giving also 360 a credit here – especially confronting the beautiful San Diego version of the TJT ballad.

21. Hold Me, Thrill Me, ... vs Ultra Violet (Light My Way) (17:14)

22. Mysterious Ways vs. With Or Without You (18:14)

23. x vs. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (18:15)
Yes, here POPmart has no slot. But, to be fair, 360 hasn't a slot here either. Only exception is Barca 2 because of the video shoot. But, hey, Barca gets his credit here.

24. One vs. Moment of Surrender (19:16)

Now, @Galeongirl, you have a result and thanx for the inspiration to do so. Even if you are very fair to the 360 show, if you do include the exceptional performances and respect the individual performances – POPmart wins IMO.
By the way, this enforces the credibility of my own memory. Because when jumping up and down in Jack Murphy Stadium '97, I estimated the show much better than the night before.:wink:

why do people insist on comparing the 360 Tour with past tours

Well, because when you have some fellows here saying, arguing that 360 is not their worst tour – there has to be a logical consequence: This fan has to estimate a tour worse than 360. Okay?
So my question was: Which tour is worse than 360 for you? The answer here obviously was: POPmart!

Though I do not like to compare tours at all – they are in their time, in the individual phase of an artist, they all have their special place in my heart etc., I tried to answer the provocative question "You can't honesty say that POPmart 1st night, 2nd night etc. is better than 360 1st night, 2nd night ...?" with an analyis based on my own experience in the gigs, the song slots and its performances.

It will lead to a smiliar result, if you compared even the strongest 360 shows so far, e.g. Amsterdam 2, Dublin 1 with the POPmart dates in Rotterdam 2 or the Dublin 1.
Even more, I guess, when you take Dublin 2 in 360 (Edge said, it was his highlight of the decade in HOTPress – maybe a PR nod to the Irish fans, that are disppointed that U2 will not come back?. For me, this show was the worst of the three nights in Dublin ...).

And, yes, you have to come to a result then. Mine is: 360 is worse than POPmart IMO. This doesn not mean, it is complete throwaway and it has nothing to do with hate at all. I did attend some shows, I loved some moments.
But in specific it does underline my feeling, that U2 are downhill. I do think, that they are in a creative & artistic dead-end-street now – apart from commercial success, U2 taliban-fans praising & being thankful & buying whatever U2 are doing, and the self-beloved U2 statements to be the "greatest" whatever ...

But, hey, it is my own taste and not "Apocalypse Now", okay?:wink:

Well, because when you have some fellows here saying, arguing that 360 is not their worst tour – there has to be a logical consequence: This fan has to estimate a tour worse than 360. Okay?
So my question was: Which tour is worse than 360 for you? The answer here obviously was: POPmart!

Though I do not like to compare tours at all – they are in their time, in the individual phase of an artist, they all have their special place in my heart etc., I tried to answer the provocative question "You can't honesty say that POPmart 1st night, 2nd night etc. is better than 360 1st night, 2nd night ...?" with an analyis based on my own experience in the gigs, the song slots and its performances.

It will lead to a smiliar result, if you compared even the strongest 360 shows so far, e.g. Amsterdam 2, Dublin 1 with the POPmart dates in Rotterdam 2 or the Dublin 1.
Even more, I guess, when you take Dublin 2 in 360 (Edge said, it was his highlight of the decade in HOTPress – maybe a PR nod to the Irish fans, that are disppointed that U2 will not come back?. For me, this show was the worst of the three nights in Dublin ...).

And, yes, you have to come to a result then. Mine is: 360 is worse than POPmart IMO. This doesn not mean, it is complete throwaway and it has nothing to do with hate at all. I did attend some shows, I loved some moments.
But in specific it does underline my feeling, that U2 are downhill. I do think, that they are in a creative & artistic dead-end-street now – apart from commercial success, U2 taliban-fans praising & being thankful & buying whatever U2 are doing, and the self-beloved U2 statements to be the "greatest" whatever ...

But, hey, it is my own taste and not "Apocalypse Now", okay?:wink:

:lol:

Ok, the whole point is that the 360 tour has just begun....you're comparisons are moot....my original question was "why do people insist on comparing the 360 Tour with past tours and leap to these nonsensical conclusions and make these huge generalizations about the 360 Tour when we've only had 2 legs?" Almost all of your opinions in this thread are baseless....you're talking about a tour that is not even close to finishing....a tour that will probably be promoting an album that hasn't even been released yet...we have absolutely no clue what the future of this tour will be like....it isn't even half over! How do you not see this?!

I figured you would find a way. I don't get how you feel you can suddenly make gaps in the setlist and call it that Pop had 'no real spot in this setlist'. I reckon this would be more realistic:

1. Mofo vs. Breathe (1:0)
I'll agree on this.

2. I Will Follow vs. No Line On The Horizon (1:1)
IWF is played a different way, but it's still a bit nostalgia to start with album 1, track 1 in only the 2nd slot. And it's not that much of an energetic performance. No Line is live so much better than the album. Easy win.

3. Even Better Than The Real Thing vs. Get On Your Boots (2:2)
While EBTTRT is awesome, and I'd love to have seen it live, the energy Boots gives is amazing. I'll tie this one.

4. Do You Feel Loved? vs. Magnificent (3:2)
Interesting you tied here. Even though DYFL may have not been tried much live, it was still good, while Magnificent just falls flat.

5. Pride (In The Name Of Love) vs. Beautiful Day (3:3)
Another washed up version of Pride versus a great Beautiful Day performance with a new intro. Well that's no way a tie for me.

6. I Still Haven't Found... vs. I Still Haven't Found... (4:4)

7. Last Night On Earth vs. Desire (5:4)
I'll give LNOE this one, since it's acoustic Desire.

8. Gone vs. Party Girl (6:4)
Still not too fond of Party Girl, it's fun yeah, but it will never beat the awesomeness that is Gone.

And now time to properly align the setlists.
9. Until The End Of The World vs. Electrical Storm (6:5)
I love UTEOTW, but sorry. This is Electrical Fucking Storm here. I remember listening live on 1000mikes with everyone in the setlist party going bananas. No performance of UTEOTW is ever going to beat that. Should be 6:infinity there.

10. If God Will Send His Angels vs. Unknown Caller (6:6)
Unknown Caller really improved live, and it has a great solo. IGWSHA was pretty boring live, they never pulled it off well.

11. Staring at the Sun vs. The Unforgettable Fire (6:7)
Uh yeah, no contest.

12. Daydream Believer vs. City Of Blinding Lights (6:8)
No contest either.

13. Miami vs. Vertigo (6:9)
Never liked Miami much, and compared to the energetic performance of Vertigo? Easy win.

14. Bullet the Blue Sky vs. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (6:10)
Another tired warhorse vs the most awesome thing 360 gave us? No contest again!

15. Please vs. Sunday Bloody Sunday (7:11)
Now this is a toughie. Please live was amazing, great tension.. but SBS has gotten a real nice makeover this tour, no more speeches too! Edge being back on the good old Stratocaster, Adam booming on the Warwick Reverso... Amazing. I'm leaning towards SBS but I'll give Please the benefit of the doubt. Tie.

16. Where the Streets Have No Name vs. Pride (In The Name Of Love) (8:11)
Even though Pride isn't as bad as on previous tours, it's still no match for Streets.

17. Discotheque vs. MLK (9:11)
Not much discussion here.. easy win.

18. With or Without You vs. Walk On (9:12)
WOWY was really tired on the Popmart tour and Bono sure sounded like it. Walk on sounded nice and energetic.

19. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me vs. Where The Streets Have No Name (9:13)
Hm, there's another tough one. HMTMKMKM is an awesome song I'd love to see live. But compared to a really good, traditional red screen performance of Streets? Sorry HMTMKMKM but I can't give it to you.

20. Mysterious Ways vs. One (10:13)
lol, as if anyone expects me to give this point to One on any tour whatshowever.

21. One vs Ultra Violet (Light My Way) (10:15)
UV was simply amazing.

Oh look, popmart has no more songs! Well isn't a short setlist ALWAYS a big complaint around this board? And will ya look at that static Pop setlist!

22. x vs. With Or Without You (10:16)
Even though WOWY wasn't that great, still beats out nothin'!

23. x vs. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (10:17)

24. x vs. Moment of Surrender (10:18)
Still not too fond of this song, but still better than silence/PA.

So, there you have quite a different thing. Aren't differences of opinion wonderful? :happy:

Btw ZooTvTourist, did you actually SEE 360 live? Or are you just concluding everything on bootlegs? :hmm:

I figured you would find a way. I don't get how you feel you can suddenly make gaps in the setlist and call it that Pop had 'no real spot in this setlist'. So, there you have quite a different thing. Aren't differences of opinion wonderful? :happy:

Btw ZooTvTourist, did you actually SEE 360 live? Or are you just concluding everything on bootlegs? :hmm:

Hey, you know me. I'll always find a a way.:wink: Regarding the setlists there have to be gaps, if you have a 21 set compared to a 24 one, a shorter show to a longer one. And yes, I did see 360 live, a couple of times – otherwise I would not be able to describe the way I do. And I love difference of opinions – even when I can not follow your logic, cheers:heart:

Things during 360 don't seem to be bad as Popmart as far facts go about Popmart not filling stadiums, the album being more poorly received than NLOTH and huge problems with Bono's voice that nearly marked the end of his career as a singer. In fact I'm more inclined to say this tour is similar to the Elevation Tour more than anything due to the fact both of those tours tried to do something a little different; Elevation tour tried to do things more simple as far as stage set-up goes compared to the two previous tours and the 360 tour has tried to go more advanced than anything U2 has done before.

Furthermore, the setlists are similarish as is the clothing Bono is wearing (leather jacket shirt thingies) and the return to a similar theme of just playing a damn rock show - Vertigo is more of a make poverty history rock show.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my point of view. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom