Changing up the set for 2011?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think any Pop songs would go over as well as some obsessed people on here hope they would. To be honest, we would probably get a few performances of something like Mofo or IGWSHA, but the band would be met with such an unenthusiastic response from most of the crowd it would quietly be dropped after a handful of shows and sent into the abyss to be forgotten like Discotheque the last tour.

I have a hard time believing a straight-up rocker like Last Night On Earth would fail, after how well an obscure track like The Electric Co. did back in 2005. Discotheque would founder, people would snooze during IGWSHA, but LNOE rocks, gets your attention, and is very accessible for a casual punter who's never heard it before.

They'll never do it though.

said it before, and will probably say it again - play last night on earth just as they did towards the end of popmart. start extending the screen midway through the song, and by the time the band gets to the solo etc, smoke, lights, make the screen look like the engines of a rocket, and make the claw look like it's about to launch into space.

you'd have to end the show on that note, as there's nothing they could do afterwards to top it.

said it before, and will probably say it again - play last night on earth just as they did towards the end of popmart. start extending the screen midway through the song, and by the time the band gets to the solo etc, smoke, lights, make the screen look like the engines of a rocket, and make the claw look like it's about to launch into space.

you'd have to end the show on that note, as there's nothing they could do afterwards to top it.

Launch into Mofo

Knowing them, they'd probably do that "rocketship" thing that coolian2 described and it would be awesome - a highlight of the show - but then right after it, they'd play In A Little While.

Interesting tidbit from Willie's diary.

Conveniently I arrived just as the lighting crew had finished their set up and focus, so all was ready for me to don my smock and beret and get creative. Despite the inconvenience and lateness of the hour, it was undeniably exciting to sit in the quiet and dark of the stadium, programming lighting for such a killer sounding song. Even Better Than the Real Thing was an absolute staple of the ZooTV and PopMart tours, then kind of fell off the map. Songs do that periodically. For reasons it's hard to put a finger on, a once-great song just goes cold, or at least just stops working quite as well as it used to. I've learned to go with this and not to try too hard to push against it - songs have a life of their own somehow, and it's probably wise to follow their flow rather than impose your own inappropriate will onto them. It was truly wonderful to have The Unforgettable Fire as a nightly regular for the first year of this tour but then again, for no readily discernable reason, it just lost that loving feeling Real Thing was in the Elevation show briefly, and I seem to remember us all being quite surprised that it just didn’t sit right. Ten years later, however, it is back, reworked and reborn in rip-snorting form.

I hope IALW loses that loving feeling pretty soon.

...I'm not even sure Streets could top that. :ohmy:

In A Little While tops everything in the current 360 show.

Fuck it, I say they drop Streets and do a reprise of IALW after One. Moment of Surrender could use a quick snippet of IALW at the end of it, top the night off with the best part of the show.

Maybe the set should just be a 2 hour version of In A Little While.

With a snippet of In A Little While halfway.

Yeah! They could open with a 360 Remix of IALW, with the lights down and start the show off with a rocker.

Then they could make it more into a "dancey" remix like Crazy Tonight and play that halfway through the 2 hour rendition. And then they could open the encore with a new remix of IALW to incorporate the wheel mic, and the laser jacket could have white lasers shooting out of it.

With the smoke from HMTMKMKM and Bono swinging around on the mic, that could easily be a highlight of the entire tour.

Dream setlist time:
INTRO - In A Little While (Spoken-Word Mix Ft. Frank DeWinne)
1) IALW (360 Mix)
2) IALW (Pt. 1)
3) IALW (Pt. 2)
4) IALW (Vertigo Mix Ft. Brandon Flowers)
5) IALW (with a snippet of IALW)
6) IALW (RedOne Remix)
7) IALW (Nightmares On Wax Remix)
8) IALW (Rock Version)
9) IALW (Eno's Ambient Mix)
10) IALW (Pt. 3)
---
11) One
12) One
13) IALW (Single Edit)
---
14) IALW (Perfecto Mix)
15) Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
16) IALW (Acoustic Version)

:drool::drool::drool:

Dream setlist time:
1) IALW (360 Mix)
2) IALW (Pt. 1)
3) IALW (Pt. 2)
6) IALW (RedOne Remix)
8) IALW (Rock Version)
10) IALW (Pt. 3)
---
11) One
12) One
13) IALW (Single Edit)
---
14) IALW (Perfecto Mix)

Sorry but I think you forgot In A Little While.

Dream setlist time:
1) IALW (360 Mix)
2) IALW (Pt. 1)
3) IALW (Pt. 2)
6) IALW (RedOne Remix)
8) IALW (Rock Version)
10) IALW (Pt. 3)
---
11) One
12) One
13) IALW (Single Edit)
---
14) IALW (Perfecto Mix)

Perfect setlist.

this is golden. Send it to Willie.

Seriously.

I don't think any Pop songs would go over as well as some obsessed people on here hope they would. To be honest, we would probably get a few performances of something like Mofo or IGWSHA, but the band would be met with such an unenthusiastic response from most of the crowd it would quietly be dropped after a handful of shows and sent into the abyss to be forgotten like Discotheque the last tour.

IGWSHA would be a good song to use for one of the band's quieter moments, or a spiritual/political moment, maybe next tour. I think at this point most Pop tracks would lay down and die with the crowd, but Gone's absence is my absolute frustration with 360, the song would rock even if half the crowd doesn't remember it, and Bono is wearing a fucking suit of lights during the encore for goodness' sake!!

Back
Top Bottom