'Busker' Version of NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee
So what do y'all think?

I love it...for several reasons...

1. It removes the guitar riff that was stripped right from Achtung Baby and gives the song a more unique sound.

2. The acoustic guitar (thank god / Bono they kept the drums and bass) gives the song a physical momentum that works wonderfully with the feel (just watch how Bono dances now to the song and did not before.)

3. They are also adjusting the arrangement which is something this song benefits from dramatically and is one of its strengths (i.e. the exploding back into the song bit in the middle.)

4. It softens the song just slightly which suits the subject matter better.

:up:

I appreciate trying a new arrangement but the old one was better.

The song loses the energy it had in 2009 with a more prominent Edge guitar and the key live "I'm a traffic cop!" moment worked a lot better.

The song loses the energy it had in 2009 with a more prominent Edge guitar and the key live "I'm a traffic cop!" moment worked a lot better.

Yes, that moment did have more power with an electric guitar...I wonder how it would sound if Edge switched back to that guitar / sound just in time for that part...and then even kicked it up a notch electric as the song progessed...

On that note, has Edge ever switched guitars in the middle of a song?

P.S. Still like the Busker version better overall ;]

Oh yeah, that was the best part in the live versions, and how the screen exploded to life right then ... ooh, yeah.

That being said, I did quite like the new version, although I think I was mostly just happy to see it back in the set in any sort of form.

I am glad that they tried to bring it back, that they at least recognize that it belongs in the set.

However, this version of it neuters a really good song and so it's hard for me to get behind. I might prefer to not hear it all as opposed to this version, frankly. Hopefully, though, they restore it to its right and proper version as the tour continues.

NLOTH is my favorite song on the album. Live it was was great. Was the best live song for me from the latest album. Why change the arrangement that is only been played live on one leg, and worked great already? They completely neutered the best rock song they have written since Gone.

If they are going to mess with a song, take elevation or miss sarajevo. At least work on something that needs it.

I like it as soon as the band comes in, I'm not so much into the guitar-only part of the song. And I don't like the awkward pause before Bono sings the chorus, what's up with that? Overall, great version that's growing on me, but given the choice I'd take the "old" version.

Am I the only one who doesnt particularly like this song live. To be perfectly honest, I think the vocals are a little too high for Bono. He always sounds strained singing it to me. I do love the song though, but even on the album he sounds a bit strained on it. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Am I the only one who doesnt particularly like this song live. To be perfectly honest, I think the vocals are a little too high for Bono. He always sounds strained singing it to me. I do love the song though, but even on the album he sounds a bit strained on it. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Vocals are the weak point of the song, totally, the rest is fine. Bono singing too high is actually a problem in a couple of songs, live and on album. That's why I generally prefer the slower songs. Energy-wise, I've always loved NLOTH and I'm glad they brought it back, it was a shock to see it being dropped earlier.

I actually love the vocals, the straining on NLOTH.
This semi-acoustic version isn't bad but the other sounded better and just more natural. I do like the idea of the Adam and Larry only starting with the second verse but Edge needs an electric guitar as well.

Better or worse than the electric version of the 2009 shows? Neither better nor worse. Just a different take on the tune. (IMHO) And I think that it's a good thing to play with arrnagements of the songs a bit.

Has Edge switched guitars in mid-song? He switched back and forth between his Stratocaster and Epiphone Elektar Lap Steel during "Surrender", in a similar fashion to how he plays piano and guitar on NYD and UF.

But to swap out guitars... Usually only to replace a guitar that has broken a string or is having an issue; as he did recently when he had issues with his Explorer during Beautiful Day.

There is a bit of a pause at the "Traffic cop..." line. So I suppose it's possible for a quick guitar switch... I guess time will tell if they try that route.

This

Me likey. To be honest, I'd gladly give it up if it meant they would try the much-vaunted Stingray > (full electric) NLOTH transition, but, as it stands, this version is quite enjoyable.

A good one-off thing. Glad they keep trying interesting things like that. I wouldn't care if I ever heard it again though.

I think the new version of No Line On The Horizion works very well. I really thought the album version was a great song, one of the best on the album, but I thought something was missing in the live version they played in 2009. This new version seems closer to NLOTH 2. I hope they keep it in the setlist.

Upon further listening, I don't like it as much as I thought I did. But I'd rather hear it like this than not at all.

But if I had my 'druthers, I'd prefer the original live version.

I think the new version of No Line On The Horizion works very well. I really thought the album version was a great song, one of the best on the album, but I thought something was missing in the live version they played in 2009. This new version seems closer to NLOTH 2. I hope they keep it in the setlist.

closer to NLOTH 2 ???? :hmm::huh:

where? how? why?

I don't get it.

NLOTH 2 is better
I like the NO.... NO LINE part at the end, it HAS an end, unlike the original version.

this "acoustic" thing... I don't like it

Stingray --> NLOTH :up:

where? how? why?

I don't get it.

Only part where I see it is closer is the lyrics. Bono actually sings the first chorus the NLOTH2 way(No, line on the horizon, no line) rather than the NLOTH way(no, no line on the horizon, no, no line). But that's all I can find.

where? how? why?

I don't get it.

I meant I thought the Busker version resembled NLOTH 2 more than the live 2009 version because NLOTH 2 is more upbeat, slightly faster tempo and a slightly different guitar riff. I didn't think they were playing an exact version of NLOTH 2 at their shows. The main guitar riff for the Busker version of NLOTH is taken from a guitar part of NLOTH 2. It can be heard below from 1:15-1:22. I can't hear this guitar part on the album version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW2Mdvm00FE

I would actually love to hear NLOTH2 live. Seems like it would make a good replacement for EL! UH! VAY! SHUN!

As much as you hate Elevation on bootlegs, it rocks live. It always brings down the house and gets people moving.

So what do y'all think?

I love it...for several reasons...

1. It removes the guitar riff that was stripped right from Achtung Baby and gives the song a more unique sound.

2. The acoustic guitar (thank god / Bono they kept the drums and bass) gives the song a physical momentum that works wonderfully with the feel (just watch how Bono dances now to the song and did not before.)

3. They are also adjusting the arrangement which is something this song benefits from dramatically and is one of its strengths (i.e. the exploding back into the song bit in the middle.)

4. It softens the song just slightly which suits the subject matter better.

:up:
You know what? I think I might agree with you. The album version was pretty good with the synth, but that was taken away live and it was much more obvious that it sounded like The Fly, which I couldn't really hear until I saw it live; I much prefer this acoustic performance to that of Desire or Angel of Harlem.

Back
Top Bottom