Breathe is a better opener

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Breathe is the worst opener of U2's entire career. There, I said it!

(Though I think I have before ...)

Breathe is the worst opener of U2's entire career. There, I said it!

(Though I think I have before ...)

Ax, I agree with the original poster. I think its sensational and I wish they'd bring it back! :D

I will preface this by saying that the entire set, including the front of it(say, everything before Still Haven't Found) feels much better than legs 1&2 did! They are at least recognizing that "Soon" was a sleeper coming out of Space Oddity and that 4 in a row from NLOTH to open was leaving a good part of the crowd lost for 15-20 minutes! So they've moved a hit geared toward the younger casuals to the opener and rotated a hit geared toward the older casuals(NYD) and a hit geared toward the die hards(IWF) for the 2nd slot. Then once they have everyone's attention, they do Boots and Magnificent.

I like Stingray>>Beautiful Day a bit better than Soon>> Breathe if only because it gets the crowd going and you don't have to be one of the relative few with NLOTH knowledge to know the opener.

Don't get me wrong, I'd ditch BD and the awkward pause for Stingray right into the intro of Magnificent, I Will Follow or No Line On The Horizon, but it works better than Breathe.

Breathe is a great song, but a weak opener. Yeah, Larry's drum solo and the others joining him was cool, but Breathe just slows down too much after the initial punch to be a good opener.

Though Stingray right into something like I mentioned above would be a vast improvement, what I really want to know is why they can't do a dramatic Zoo/Popmart style opener or at the very least, go back to a traditional lights off, come out and start playing arrangement.

Traditional opening(i.e. get the hell out there in the dark and build up to or rip into something) always worked for U2:

-Boy
-War
-TUF
-JT
-Lovetown
-Vertigo

All of these worked extremely well for my taste!

Theatrical, massive stadium opening enhanced with video, effects, etc always worked for them as well:

-Zoo TV
-Popmart

Both of these also worked extremely well for my taste.

Its when they try and go for something else, like, say, opening in the light, that it falls short.

-Elevation- Out with the lights up, take over for a recorded mix of "Elevation." Nothing special.

-360 Legs 1&2: Lights down, massive spotlight on each band member as they hit the stage and then Breathe. Pretty underwhelming for a massive stage.

-360 Leg 3: Lights up and Stingray could work ok- it energizes the crowd and pumps up the band almost like Pop Muzik- provided BD is replaced- but I think they still could do much better.

To me, that "something else" of Elevation and 360 is simply light. Opening in the light or with gigantic spotlights on them as they hit the stage just cuts the intensity way, way down. Its very anti climactic. I get much more of a rush trying to find the band and seeing their shadows walk onto the stage than I do watching them walk up there.

If they asked me(which obviously, they never would!), I would say make some kind of video based around travel through space and time. Maybe the Zoo Baby travels on this journey and we see the planet and the cities and then the current city w/the claw in the stadium(similar to the Rose Bowl DVD intro), then a bunch of explosions on the screen like on Zoo TV versions of Until The End of The World. Then rip right into Until The End of The World as the explosions end!

My 2nd suggestion would be to just go back to red screen Streets. As good an opener as any, and remember "greatest hits" is determined by the content of the entire set, not the opener.

At the end of the day, all I can really judge is the shows I've been to. I've seen COBL open Vertigo, Boots open a NLOTH promo show and I've seen Breathe and Magnificent open 360.

I think Breathe and Magnificent are both better songs than COBL, and I think Boots, though not as good of a song as COBL, packs more energy. However, as an opener, COBL was the best by miles and miles and miles.

The build up with Arcade Fire and the lights down and the building intro of COBL leading to the light explosion and confetti was just incredible.

So in summary:

1.)Pick a song that keeps the energy all the way through. Preferably a balls out rocker or a tension building anthem.

2.)For God's sake, make sure its dark.

3.)When in doubt, look at any past tour besides Elevation.

i realize that hating the Elevation Tour is the cool thing to do, but personally, i think the opening sequence of the Elevation remix, lights on, and the song was one of the coolest moments in U2's live history.

i realize that hating the Elevation Tour is the cool thing to do

why? omg that's absurd - Elevation tour was one of my best! and their arrangement of The Fly was just gorgeous!

i saw both Breathe and Stingray --> BD as openers...

i liked Breathe a lot at the time, but the vibe and energy with Stingray/BD is just INSANE! (in a good way lol)

I liked Breathe a lot better.

Stingray is ok, but even though I have seen a couple of shows now I must say I'm still not convinced about the Singray - BD sequence. However, IMO Magnificent worked even less. I think they should open with Glasto or Boots, something that fits the mood of the intro.

They really can't seem to get the opening right. None so far seem to have the impact they have, in general, had. A good opener is either explosive, or a great unveiler. None of what they've tried so far really gets there. Soon>Breathe was a bit anti-climatic. It's a good live song, just a bit dry, poorly paced. The whole prancing Stingray thing may well come across a lot better when you're in the stadium, but it all just seems very anti-climatic, bit too much about Bono, and really awkward transitioning into whatever comes next.

The only song I think they could really do it right with is just kicking straight off with Magnificent? The song opens up a bit as it goes on, surely they could match that with a sort of stage by stage 'reveal' of the full claw capabilities? The grinding at the start happening in complete darkness, as that synth intro builds, a sort of flickering 'firing up' of the claw begins, and as Larry's drumming breaks out into the song, the claw comes alive, but leaves tricks up it's sleeve for each of those momentum shifts later on in the song? Bit like City of Blinding Lights on the stadium legs of Vertigo - a stage by stage reveal. Perhaps you could make No Line work the same way.

It all just seems anti climatic, which is a shame given the staging. There's no doubt all of their previous modern-age tours from Zoo to Popmart to Elevation to Vertigo Stadium trump it by some ridiculous margin.

I don't think I've been able to make it through the entire Stingray without bursting out in uncontrollable laughter. Like seriously, wtf IS that? :lol:

Breathe needs to come back. The only song from the album that would top that would be a sped-up (a la one of the remixes) Magnificent. At the album speed, though, it's too slow.

I liked Breathe a lot better.

Stingray is ok, but even though I have seen a couple of shows now I must say I'm still not convinced about the Singray - BD sequence. However, IMO Magnificent worked even less. I think they should open with Glasto or Boots, something that fits the mood of the intro.

Applying the traditional Popmart method of Intro > New > Old > New > Old > New > Rest of set...

How about Stingray > Glasto > Elevation > GOYB > Mysterious Ways > No Line/Magnificent?

I'm happy with Stingray as an opener, so leave that in. Glasto has that punch that no other songs from NLOTH seem to have early on, so put that after Stingray. Elevation continues the energy and is known by everyone even if the hardcore don't seem to care for it too much.

BD is a great song and all, but when it's effectively the opener (I'm not counting Stingray) it feels to me like U2 doesn't have faith in their own material. To have a non-NLOTH/new-new song opening the show doesn't quite feel right.

Would they stop playing in between these four, or just make them a rockout megamix of their shittiest songs ever? They might as well throw in Vertigo and SUC for good measure, why not? :down:

Sorry, those four songs in a row to open the show would suck, seriously.

Thanks for your feedback... :lol:

I'm trying to be realistic here, if you read my comment about Elevation, for instance.

I reckon Stingray is a good opener even if it's not going to win a bunch of awards.

I Like Glasto but you're entitled to your opinion I guess.

I put in GOYB because although it's not my favourite song I can't seen U2 dropping it and they're unlikely to move it from the start of the set.

I just remembered why I love Interference :crack:

Now if I was doing it for real I might have UTEOTW four times in a row but that might be a boring set for some people and I don't think U2 would get on board.....

Sensitive, much? You posted a string of songs I think would suck back to back to open a show. I said so. Big deal.

On the upside, I was also tempted to say UTEOTW to open. It's not my favorite U2 song and it's been a bit overplayed imo, but there's no denying how effective it would be as an opener.

Sensitive, much? You posted a string of songs I think would suck back to back to open a show. I said so. Big deal.

No, you just seem to be portraying your opinions as fact and God forbid anyone disagree.

I think one of the most simple spine tingling moments at any stadium show is when the house lights get switched off. It's not a flick of a switch and they all go off as per an arena, it always has to be in stages, it's kind of naturally very dramatic as they one by one shut down, a moment that always sends the crowd naturally, well, ape shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcwl2dYrE9E&p=033432EF6EA1CC02&playnext=1&index=36

They could sort of play on that, kind of Elevation-style, in a cool way. What if they had just Edge and Bono go out to the very front, and just open with a simple duet, something of theirs that has a bit of call and response, and then have those lights one by one dramatically flicking off. Imagine, say, the two of them just starting off with full house lights up to a shortened version of, say, All I Want is You. As Bono fires up the "All I want is..."/"Yoooou" audience call and response, those lights one by one are flicking off, till it's pitch black. Then the grinding of Magnificent, the synth intro with those big strobes flickering up around the stage (think ZooTV Streets intro), drum roll, the song breaks open and the claw explodes. Something like that would be very cool.

The gradual switching off of the lights in a stadium as opposed to an arena is likely not U2's call. I'm thinking it has more to do with safety rules. In an arena it's never really fully dark, as the lights from the emergency exits in an enclosed arena throw a faint glow. In a stadium, when the lights go out, it's reallly dark.

Trying to picture that AIWIY opening...not a bad idea, but I still think Magnificent kindof groans (literally lol!) to a start that's just a tad too slow. Honestly I know I've said it a gazillion times but I don't get why they don't play it - if not in the remix style itself - at the same or close to the same tempo as one of the remixes. STREETS tempo, in other words.

i realize that hating the Elevation Tour is the cool thing to do, but personally, i think the opening sequence of the Elevation remix, lights on, and the song was one of the coolest moments in U2's live history.

:up: It was, U2's openers have always been pretty good up until this tour. All of the Zoo TV intros were great and Zoo was a perfect opening song for that tour and I think POP Muzik into Mofo was the best opening sequence's they have ever done. It still gives me that rush sometimes when I listen to a bootleg of it.

IMFO Streets is hands down the best opener U2 has ever done, with IWF as the second song.

Holy shit! If they can use Beautiful Day as an opener...why not Streets?! Holy shit that would be simply out of this world...just incredible, especially with the huge red screens and the flashing lights going off all over the stadium leading into the crowd wash...ah man!!!

Back
Top Bottom