Breathe is a better opener

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BVS.

Well, COBL first:

The descending piano line..

"I miss you when you're not around"
"Blessings not just for the ones who kneel....luckily"
And of course, the way Bono songs the line "Oh you look so beautiful tonight". There's something rather longing, pleading about it that those words on paper don't convey. On paper if you print this out. On screen, well, who can say?

WTSHNN is less if at all downbeat musically hence my earlier allowance for it possibly indeed being a better opener than COBL. Which as the side-street this forum took from "Breathe Is A Better Opener" Highway.

But "The city's a flood and our love turns to rust."? Hmmmm. Not the kind of lyric you put in a love letter, methink. The music makes the song more upbeat for me than it really is.

Anyhoo, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the Land That Probably Won't Win The Rugby Union World Cup Ever Again...:D (But we do have the Rugby League one :D :D)

BVS.

Well, COBL first:

The descending piano line..

"I miss you when you're not around"
"Blessings not just for the ones who kneel....luckily"
And of course, the way Bono songs the line "Oh you look so beautiful tonight". There's something rather longing, pleading about it that those words on paper don't convey. On paper if you print this out. On screen, well, who can say?

WTSHNN is less if at all downbeat musically hence my earlier allowance for it possibly indeed being a better opener than COBL. Which as the side-street this forum took from "Breathe Is A Better Opener" Highway.

But "The city's a flood and our love turns to rust."? Hmmmm. Not the kind of lyric you put in a love letter, methink. The music makes the song more upbeat for me than it really is.

Anyhoo, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the Land That Probably Won't Win The Rugby Union World Cup Ever Again...:D (But we do have the Rugby League one :D :D)

Isn't there a longing and pleading to the lyrics in Streets, one that is conveyed when sung but not on a computer screen?

So we determine whether or not a song is upbeat or inspirational by whether or not you can put a certain lyric in a love letter?

Are we Jonas Bros fans?

First, you have to take the lyrics in context. Look what it says right after the line you picked out of Streets "We're beaten and blown by the wind trampled in dust, I'll show you a place, high on a desert plain, where the streets have no name......"

The whole song to me is about transcending adversity, rising above the circumstances, etc, etc.

One of the great things about it is it's more abstract and open to interpretation than COBL. Not that COBL isn't a great song.

But Streets is definitely uplifting, musically and lyrically if we look at the whole song.

Back
Top Bottom