Bono's vocal on One - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 08:12 PM
Bono's vocal on One

How is it sounding in your view? I'm not overly impressed from what I have seen on youtube. For some reason he has taken to singing behind the melody which jars badly. I first noticed him doing this on the Chicago DVD. I love the song and would like to see it stay in the setlist but only if he sings it "straight." Perhaps though it boils down to the fact they've played the song so many times- it's interesting that Bono has been giving (arguably) his best vocals on UF and UV, both of which have not appeared for some time. An anorak's topic maybe, but I'd be interested to read some views.

PS- On the whole, I have been very impressed with Bono's voice so far- the best since '93 in my book but One is an exception.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 02:12 AM
The same thing has happened with beautiful day since 2001, he as sang it so many times now, he just sings it casually, but if you look back at slane, how much passion was there, go to say though the letterman performance was first class!

Old 07-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #3
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyBootsU2 View Post
The same thing has happened with beautiful day since 2001, he as sang it so many times now, he just sings it casually, but if you look back at slane, how much passion was there, go to say though the letterman performance was first class!
BD was best in the 5th leg of Vertigo. 2006-11-30 Tokyo, best version ever.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrrr View Post
BD was best in the 5th leg of Vertigo. 2006-11-30 Tokyo, best version ever.
Sorry but nothing beats Slane, have you got some audio or video i could watch of that performance btw
Old 07-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyBootsU2 View Post
Sorry but nothing beats Slane, have you got some audio or video i could watch of that performance btw
www.mega upload.com/?d=UISHZTPY
Old 07-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:12 AM
He's just going through the motions on a lot of the older songs now.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:12 PM
Now... would he go through the motions on... MOFO?

For some reason, though, there are a few warhorses that, for whatever reason, Bono still bothers to sing well... Streets, NYD, and UTEOTW are prime examples. I think SBS also sounds a lot better vocally this tour. The Fly had kind of a going-through-the-motions rolling mumble of a vocal on the Vertigo Tour, but that fit the song very well.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:12 PM
Although I honestly think that One sounds a lot better this tour than last tour. Nothing beats PopMart, though.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:12 PM
One >> unchained melody on ZOO was untouchable.

I love ONE, its my favorite song ever so I still like to see it live. But yes, it has sounded really running-through-the motions so far...
Old 07-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:12 PM
They haven't done One well since PopMart, and that's because Bono sounds so out of it.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:05 PM   #11
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
Although I honestly think that One sounds a lot better this tour than last tour. Nothing beats PopMart, though.
Hmmm. Popmart had the worst versions IMO.

Bono only nailed the vocal live twice - ever. Interestingly, it was never at a "proper" U2 concert.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:49 PM   #12
Acrobat

what about this one?

Old 07-12-2009, 12:18 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

^ For me, no live version has beatten and recreated the atosphere of the studio track, but anyway, this version gets closer to it and U2 should play "One" like this. Always.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:37 AM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergiodino View Post
Thanks for sharing.

This gets an honorable mention for me as it most nearly captures the studio version.

I can't quite give it a thumbs up though for three reasons: lack of passion, botched / uncertain ending, truncated words periodically throughout at the end of sentences.

However, it is highly refreshing to hear this song when it was still fresh for the band and not so stale. Cool to see them work at it and not dial it in!

I did forgot one other version. The only time I know of where U2 (full band at a proper U2 concert / appearance) came within a inch of nailing it live. Tellingly, it was after a long break from playing it live pre-Elevation tour. Edge nails the solo at the end and Bono turns in an inspired performance for once!

Here goes:

P.S. To those of you who watched all of the various performances...it feels great to know there are others who are just as sick as I am!

;]
Old 07-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #15
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:12 PM
The Popmart Mexico performance, when Bono is audibly fighting tears as he sings, is also one of the few post-'93 performances that moves me. It's a beautiful delivery.
"One" is the song that got me into U2. It still strikes me to this day as the most powerful and extraordinary thing they have ever recorded in the studio. Live, it lost something many years ago. But having said that, and having seen them play it in person five times, it's a song that still comes over beautifully when the audience carry it. No bootleg or DVD adequately captures the experience of being in the midst of tens of thousands of people singing along with Bono. My favorite performance of Pearl Jam's "Black" is one where Eddie lets the crowd sing the climactic part (Benaroya Hall, '03)... and these days I think of One in the same terms.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:18 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmckinney View Post
The Popmart Mexico performance, when Bono is audibly fighting tears as he sings, is also one of the few post-'93 performances that moves me. It's a beautiful delivery.
I'm going to have to agree, the Popmart Mexico performance is far and away my favorite version of this song.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #17
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmckinney View Post
"One" is the song that got me into U2. It still strikes me to this day as the most powerful and extraordinary thing they have ever recorded in the studio. Live, it lost something many years ago. But having said that, and having seen them play it in person five times, it's a song that still comes over beautifully when the audience carry it. No bootleg or DVD adequately captures the experience of being in the midst of tens of thousands of people singing along with Bono. My favorite performance of Pearl Jam's "Black" is one where Eddie lets the crowd sing the climactic part (Benaroya Hall, '03)... and these days I think of One in the same terms.

The Black from Benaroya might be in the top 10 live performances of any song ever played...imagine being in that crowd and singing that
Old 07-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #18
The Fly

the band really nailed One at the 12/5/00 Irving Plaza elevation promo show in NYC. That was also the first snippets of walk on live during the outro, brilliant.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #19
The Fly

I agree with lots of posts on this.
One is a very difficult song to get anywhere near as good as the original studio version.

Some one said on here after the kcuf up in Barcelona that any idiot with hands could play One.

I think not !!!

The intro alone is very difficult to get right. I have played it thousands of times and it still dont sound right!!!

Mexico is a great version, Live8 2005 was pretty good too I seem to remember. I love the 91 rehearsal version I remember seeing that on Top O f The Pops and been blown away.

The brits was great also. BTW that same show had an awesome version of Untill The End Of The World with Bono doing the best Love Love Love bit I have ever heard. Fantastic!!!

I love One and they can play it every time I see them as far as Im concerned.
But please just play the song don't use it as a soapbox!!

As far as im aware the song is about relationship breakdown not Africa or poverty.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #20
Refugee

You can't beat the zootv version . simple as.