Bono's vocal on One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He hasn't been singing it right since ZooTV (I always cringe at the delivery of the "I can't be holding on" line - it's kinda symbolic of the song going down the toilet in the last 10 years or so performance-wise). There are some exceptions of course (Modena 1995 being the biggest one).

I would recommend everybody to check some ZooTV 1st leg versions, especially the Tacoma one (April 21st 1992). I like that one maybe even better than the great studio version. Amazing improvised ending by both Bono and The Edge.

He hasn't been singing it right since ZooTV (I always cringe at the delivery of the "I can't be holding on" line - it's kinda symbolic of the song going down the toilet in the last 10 years or so performance-wise). There are some exceptions of course (Modena 1995 being the biggest one).
I'd argue that the Brit Awards performance was another exception. On the whole, however, I agree with you. Too often he sings behind the melody, adds inelegant inflections and struggles with the notes.

One never did anything live for me. It would help if they would stop regurgitating the album arrangement live.

They never came close to the studio version (not on Zoo TV and certainly not at the time of Bono on helium aka Popmart. the much hyped Modena 1995 version - while I enjoy the orchestra, Bono just sounds like a hippo with the biggest cold of his life).

Yeah, I have to agree. Some live version recently (certain songs, ONE can be one of them) are just not sung with passion. WOWOY is one of them. It does irk me a bit because i listen to old bootlegs and you can hear the passion running through those same songs being played now a days. It has to start from somewhere and if Bono is just half-ass singing it, then the rest of the band kinda falls flat. I know they are not perfect and can't be every night but Bono, just sing the songs the right way, please? Study the lyric's and don't change them... :wave:

I hate that this is what we're getting on the DVD:

YouTube - U2 rose bowl 2009 with or without you

Is it just me or does Bono only sing like half the lyrics?

See the stone...set in your....eyes?
See the...thorn twist...in uh, your side
I wait....for...???
Sleight of hand, twist of fate
Bed of nails.....makes me wait
And I wait without you
With or without you
Through the storm...reach the shore
Give it all, I want more
And I'm wait...for you
With or without you.
With or without you.
Give yourself away.
Give yourself away.

It gets better once Edge's backing vocals come in, as it actually sounds like he still enjoys the song somewhat, but it's still a dirge.

Compare that with this performance:

YouTube - U2 - With or without you - Zoo Tv

Technically imperfect, but oh God, so much soul. The arrangement is absolutely brilliant, Edge sending off these beautiful waves of sound, Larry kick starting the song in exactly the right spot, it all sounds full and complete. And Edge's soloing from 4:47 on? Forget about it. At some point, subjective taste goes out the window. This is just way, way better.

I suppose I feel the same way about One, but honestly, I don't think there's any live performance of the song that managed to surpass the album version. That version is too raw and emotional to be matched, especially once it had been played 100+ times.

WOWY could be better if Bono had stopped using the Elevation tour mellow vocal approach. And again, some form of new music arrangement would be nice from the band. (see also I still haven't found...)

Perhaps this tour he wants to keep his voice for the big vocal songs MOS and Ultraviolet that surround WOWY ?

WOWY could be better if Bono had stopped using the Elevation tour mellow vocal approach. And again, some form of new music arrangement would be nice from the band. (see also I still haven't found...)

Perhaps this tour he wants to keep his voice for the big vocal songs MOS and Ultraviolet that surround WOWY ?

That is neither an excuse nor an explanation. Bono's wish to rest his voice need not entail the atrocious versions of WOWY to which fans have been subjected. I wouldn't have a problem with him giving a mellow vocal, but I do have a problem with him drawling away behind the melody. That Rose Bowl version is embarassing. It's time to drop WOWY and any other song which Bono can no longer be bothered to sing properly.

One never did anything live for me. It would help if they would stop regurgitating the album arrangement live.

They never came close to the studio version (not on Zoo TV and certainly not at the time of Bono on helium aka Popmart. the much hyped Modena 1995 version - while I enjoy the orchestra, Bono just sounds like a hippo with the biggest cold of his life).

I disagree- he sang well at Modena, the last time he used his lower register properly. And I thought the Zoo TV version was superb, especially the 'hear us coming' part at the end. But since 1995 it hasn't been the same and the problem is Bono's voice.

That is neither an excuse nor an explanation. Bono's wish to rest his voice need not entail the atrocious versions of WOWY to which fans have been subjected. I wouldn't have a problem with him giving a mellow vocal, but I do have a problem with him drawling away behind the melody. That Rose Bowl version is embarassing. It's time to drop WOWY and any other song which Bono can no longer be bothered to sing properly.

Indeed. If he finds WOWY too taxing vocally, they should play something that's easier for him to sing and he should do so to the best of his ability. I think it's a good excuse to finally mix in a healthy number of rockers, one the more conspicuous holes in 360's sets.

With Or Without You is in my opinion, the sluggish song of the setlist. Timing's kinda bad, doesn't sing all of the lyrics. Instead he just swings on the mic. The Slane version is miles better than how he sings it now on 360.

One..I don't know. I wanted to skip it when watching the webcast. It doesn't have feeling as it did in ZOOTV. Bono's voice is getting better, but the timing kinda sucks in my opinion. And I noticed the key One was sung in changed during the course of 360.

Both of these songs need to be rehearsed more, they're really lacking.

Djedarp wrote " I would recommend everybody to check some ZooTV 1st leg versions, especially the Tacoma one (April 21st 1992). I like that one maybe even better than the great studio version. Amazing improvised ending by both Bono and The Edge.".

Best ever Edge solo among any versions of One, easily.

I think Bono sang the "Hear us coming lord" coda incredibly well at the Rose Bowl. His delivery of the rest of the song just came off as OK.

I think they should drop One on the next legs and replace it with Disappearing Act or a full band version of Stay.

I think Bono sang the "Hear us coming lord" coda incredibly well at the Rose Bowl. His delivery of the rest of the song just came off as OK.

I think they should drop One on the next legs and replace it with Disappearing Act or a full band version of Stay.

This is exactly right.

YouTube - U2 (HD) - One - Gillette Stadium, Foxboro, MA - 360 Tour - September 20th 2009

Listen to it from the start of the outro through the "Hear us coming" coda and its perfect. Bono is really feeling it and so is the band. That sounds the best it ever has.

What precedes it leaves something to be desired, and this performance linked here was probably one of the better ones on 360.

Vocal experts, what is it?

Is he behind the melody here? Off key? Anything else technical?

To my untrained ears, it just seems like he does not care and is talking instead of singing.

I still don't love "One" played live. A little better during Zoo TV, but never (no way) near the sonic intensity of the studio version. After 1993, almost (almost!) each version of "One" became weaker and weaker.
I feel no feeling in Bono or Edge/Adam/Larry when singing and playing "One" these days. It feels like they're numb and they're playing it because "they have to". I don't get too why does the tempo of the live versions has to be so fast? Can't they focus and play it more downtempo like on the record?

The same (or worst!) goes to WOWY. The time to remove WOWY off the setlists has come long ago. As LemonMelon shown, as time goes by, the more forgettable and pathetic WOWY's performances become (of course, again, with a few more inspired performances... ocasionally).

With such a huge catalogue, it leaves me sad that U2 still picks up songs that it's so visible they're tired to play (and that they don't give a damn about 'em anymore) to please the audience instead of pleasing the audience with their own pleasure of playing the songs they're into in that moment.

With such a huge catalogue, it leaves me sad that U2 still picks up songs that it's so visible they're tired to play (and that they don't give a damn about 'em anymore) to please the audience instead of pleasing the audience with their own pleasure of playing the songs they're into in that moment.

It's funny - when they played Pride at the debut US show last fall, I swear the energy in the place was lower than I'd ever seen for a performance of Pride. It really surprised me. Obviously, I could only really gauge from the people around me, but it was plain weird.

If even the casual fans are "meh" about Pride, then it's time for it to go. And lookie-look! They dropped it! :wink:

WOWY, however, got a huge response at every show I went to. I don't think it's going anywhere, even though I do agree with you.

Bono isn't being lazy, he's taking the Dylan approach of playing with the arrangement to find new ways of approaching the song.

This isn't lazy, this is proactive. And yes, it can be hit and miss.

He's changed the phrasing on "Vertigo" on the 360 tour. I think with "Vertigo", it is good and actually adds to the song. "Hit".

As for WOWY, the change in approach and phrasing might not be working for the song. "Miss".

But a change in approach that might not be working as well isn't lazy... it just might not convey the passion and message that he is attempting to get across.

The same can be said for The Edge. He's playing "UltraViolet" differently than he did on the ZOO tours. It isn't him being lazy. In fact, it is him being proactive and trying to find the best in the song, keep in interesting for him, the band and the fans. I remember early in the tour reading a number of people that didn't initially like the approach he's taken on the 360 tour. But as the tour has gone on, many of those same friends and fans that I heard question the different approach, have come around and realized that 'different' isn't necessarily always mean 'lazy' or 'worse'. I can mean better. And sometimes just might be 'different'.

I truly think that is what Bono has done with some of the melody and phrasing of lyrics. Again... some work better than others.

Edge on "Ultraviolet" is a specific case. The studio version has a whole wall of guitar sounds. On Zoo TV Edge played a part of that wall, now on 360 he's playing the other part of that wall (you can listen to both parts in the studio version). That's why it works very well, one way or the other.

I think its even worse on Vertigo, I loved the rithm of that song, and now Bono's just kind of going trough it on a way that I think takes away from the song.
It used to be very a straightforward, "slap in the face" rock song, and now it sounds quite lazy. Im convinced WOWY is lost forever.

But One has definably been better than the Vertigo tour , in these previous two legs.

Back
Top Bottom