Bono's Surgery To Lead To Static Set Lists? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:37 PM
Bono's Surgery To Lead To Static Set Lists?

I mean, it makes sense. If they take less time to prepare for the upcoming shows, that's less songs that can be rehearsed and less preparation time for the new 360 Tour elements. I would not be surprised at all if the tour resumed with basically the same elements/songs from the last leg.

I wish Bono the best of luck, but for the band/fans, it would probably make more sense to relaunch the tour further into the summer and do all of the makeup dates at the end of the leg. I'd much rather be treated to something different than have a sloppy band play the same sets from the previous leg.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:37 AM
Well, given there were almost no cities with two gigs, I was expecting it to be static sets in each city anyway ...

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Poor speculation.

First of all it's just bad form to start crap like this, and secondly it doesn't make any sense.

U2 haven't played in quite awhile so a full amount of rehearsals will need to happen no matter what, AND they apparently have already started and were going to bring in new stuff.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:37 PM
If the next leg is indeed to be delayed, maybe they'll be back later on, more motivated and focused, with the inclusion of some stuff that wasn't originally planned. I would bet we wouldn't see all those great versions of Kite if the 5th leg of the Vertigo Tour wasn't delayed (plus some amazing Bono performances). So there might be something positive coming out of this situation.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Well, given there were almost no cities with two gigs, I was expecting it to be static sets in each city anyway ...
I understand that, but I mean static compared to the last tour...very few changes. Moreso, they could even have less of an arsenal of songs at their disposal if there's less preparation time.

Quote:
U2 haven't played in quite awhile so a full amount of rehearsals will need to happen no matter what, AND they apparently have already started and were going to bring in new stuff.
It will take less rehearsal time to go over the songs that were played on the last tour rather than work on new elements/songs. The band could likely go down this avenue because they'd rather cut a few days out of rehearsal in order to postpone one less date or two.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Knowing U2, they would need a full rehearsal in order to relearn songs like Ultaviolet, even if they did play it last leg.

And really it's only Bono that may have to sit out on some rehearsals. If they are indeed starting in Minneapolis, they will set up for a full rehearsal time.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:49 AM   #7
Refugee

You are implying that the setlists would have not been static? Silly idea.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:58 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:37 PM
Given that the vast majority of people who attend U2's concerts will only see one show, I can't see a problem with static setlists anyway.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:39 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:07 AM
Exstatic | Buy Exstatic online in Australia - Zodee
If you have a problem with static, surely this is the stuff?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:29 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Again, I was talking about sets that were static compared to the previous legs of the U2:360 tour....basically, the same show in 2010 as in 2009.

I know that the stadium shows were more static than others and even brought up the idea/question to Axver years ago about stadium shows being more static from day to day simply because they play less shows in each city. That's a given. I'm just hoping that this new leg isn't practically the same production as the last one.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:10 AM   #11
45:33

i had a feeling his surgery would lead to a thread like this.

i was hoping it wouldn't, but alas, this place never lets you down

i make a funny in my head because i imagine someone sitting on a computer somewhere, in the morning with a cup of coffee, and then the log on to u2gigs to find the setlist was the same as the night before. i imagine the reaction is like this:

Old 05-25-2010, 01:35 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
There is no emoticon that better conveys the U2 parts of this forum. Not even can match it.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:21 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 02:37 PM
oops. i posted in the wrong thread.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:23 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:37 PM
Assuming the slipped disc is true, Bono will be able to rehearse in no time. It's the running and jumping around the huge stage set that will be the problem, not setting up in some studio or warehouse in Dublin and belting through Acrobat and Mofo a few times. The lions share of responsibility and work on that front is with everyone other than Bono anyway. He hasn't had open heart surgery. If it were a garden variety slipped disc, with a standard operation, and a normal recovery, and it took place last Wed/Thurs, there's every chance he's walking around right this very moment. Getting moving quickly is actually an important part of the recovery. If all of that is the case, he could be taking some part in rehearsals as early as next week, although I'd think most of his time would be spent on rehabilitation initially.

They don't seem to need that much time with 'on stage' rehearsal either. If Minn. is the re-start point, you can assume Glastonbury will go ahead as well. That would give them a couple of weeks with Bono in rehearsal in Dublin, longer for the rest of the band, then do Glasto (which you could count as a full set rehearsal), then a couple of days on stage before the Minn. gig. Sure, the whole intended overhaul may be more of a creeper than originally intended, but that's still plenty of time to nail a few new songs, or new-to-this-tour songs, and re-acquaint themselves with the stage.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:27 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:37 PM
Ha - or upon reading the other thread, perhaps not...