Best song live from new album - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 01:04 AM
Best song live from new album

This thread has probably been done but I couldn't find it so here goes:

What, all things considered, do you think was the best live song from the new album?

This limits us to:
No Line on the Horizon
Magnificent
Moment of Surrender
Unknown Caller
Crazy Tonight (2 Versions)
Get On Your Boots
Breathe

I would have to go with NLOTH. While a solid studio track, its wall of noise really rumbles the whole stadium in a live setting, making it much more thrilling live. Sadly, I found Magnificent underwhelming live, due to the "death by mid-tempo" effect.

On the Rose Bowl stream I really enjoyed UC live. And the techno Crazy Tonight proved to be quite thrilling live.

Your thoughts?

Old 11-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 09:04 PM
Wow this is a little tough

Crazy Remix stands out to me but NLOTH LIVE was really really good too

Old 11-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 02:04 AM
Firstly the gig I was at had dodgy sound so NLOTH sounded a bit week, still enjoyed it, Magnificent live is ruined!!! loses its grove completely, bit of a snore fest live, MOS is great musically but I don't like the way Bono sings it live tbh, he try's that roar vocal style like the album bit misses it everytime, Unknown Caller is great real high point of the live concert, Edge's solo sounds incredible as do the Organ and French Horns leading into it, definitely one of the best from the new album in a live setting, Crazy Tonight is fun maybe it drags on a bit too long, it has the best use of stage lighting for the whole gig exept TUF and COBL of course, Pretty enjoyable, Boots in the same vein as Vertigo on the last tour really rocks an arena live although on the record its kind of a weak point, live to answer your question I think Boots works the best, sounds loud and rocky and really gets the crowd going, finally Breathe is the song I have the biggest problem with, as an opener it sucks!!! I find myself bored halfway through it, after Larry's incredible drum opening its all down hill, Its a far cry imo from the fuck off live rocker it was described as!!!

Unknown Caller or Boots for me!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
Babyface

Local Time: 01:04 AM
best live song from NLOTH

For me its a tossup between Breathe and Magnificent. For sure the worst live song off new cd is IGCIIDGCT(Conga Version)
Old 11-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:04 PM
Tough call - for me, best overall live song would be Magnificent. It's a classic U2 stadium anthem and sounds incredible.

Most IMPROVED live song, from the album version? Gotta go with 'Get On Your Boots.'

Personal favorite, new live song? Toss-up between 'Breathe' or 'Moment of Surrender.'

I also give the band a lot of credit for radically reworking "Crazy Tonight" on the tour. For a band that usually hesitates to "get crazy" and have fun with their songs, and instead likes to stick to the script, this one really surprised me.

All of them are really good. I love the dramatic pause during "No Line," right before Bono yanks on the guitar string, stomps his foot, and rips into the "I'm a traffic cop!" bit
Old 11-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:04 PM
I'd have to go with Breathe. I think that's their best song since Beautiful Day, and the best possible opener for the show. Edge just kills the solo, and Larry's build-up at the beginning was just amazing to hear love.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:04 AM
The Crazy Tonight remix, no contest whatsoever.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'll vote for Crazy Tonight, Moment Of Surrender, and Get On Your Boots. Probably in that order. (Though it might be different if you ask me again tomorrow.)

I love the remix version of IGCIIDGCT. And MOS is a brilliant ending song that brings all the emotion of the night to a close. GOYB, though, is a song that sounds so much better live than on the album. It's a true rocker live, perhaps even in the vein of The Fly. I wouldn't be surprised to see GOYB played again on future tours.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:04 PM
For the record (no pun intended), the only song that I think translates worse live than on the album is UC, and maaaaybe Magnificent, though it's probably a tie studio vs live.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #10
War Child

I loved No Line live, although I don't think the Glendale crowd appreciated it as much (or really any of the new songs for that matter)...Same for Unknown Caller....Not that crazy about Crazy Tonight- I really loved the original version of that song, and I'm still not sure about the dance treatment.....

I know I'll be stoned for it, but I love Moment of Surrender...and I'm happy for Larry to have somewhat of a drum solo in Breathe
Old 11-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #11
Acrobat

Crazy Tonight Remix, hands down. In fact, I'll go as far as to say it was the best song performed this tour (and this coming from a guy who thinks the original "Crazy Tonight" is one of the worst songs they've done in a long time)

By the way, can anyone point me in the direction of a Crazy Tonight Remix request thread if such a thread exists?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

I'd say Crazy Tonight, but I feel weird voting for that one, considering they're for the most part just playing over a backing track of the remix.

So I'll go with No Line, which RULES live.

.... and really, I'm just saying that so I don't really have to choose, because I think they're both awesome live.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I'd say Crazy Tonight, but I feel weird voting for that one, considering they're for the most part just playing over a backing track of the remix.

So I'll go with No Line, which RULES live.

.... and really, I'm just saying that so I don't really have to choose, because I think they're both awesome live.
whenever i've ranked live tracks, i've always excluded crazy tonight. it's great, though.

but yeah, no line on the horizon is a huge surprise - not only how well it translates, but how well the crowd responds.

unknown caller also translates brilliantly.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:51 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Yeah exactly, that's the thing about the remix. It's not really a live song at all, but just a backing track with the band sort of noodling over top of it, and grooving out. It sure is fun though!
Old 11-10-2009, 03:53 AM   #15
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:04 AM
No Line or Crazy