Any idea why Edge isn't playing Ultraviolet like Zoo TV? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 06:59 AM
Any idea why Edge isn't playing Ultraviolet like Zoo TV?

I love the 92-93 versions especially on the Explorer, when he slides the notes when Bono sings "I remember when we could sleep on stone" -- but now it just seems like some slight distortion on his Strat...

When they brought back Zoo Station it was on a Gibson like it was on 92-93... the Fly was even dirtier and harder with the Variax Line 6 instead of a Strat

Old 09-21-2009, 02:24 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Probably for the same reason Bono isn't singing WOWY like on ZooTV.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:27 AM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Probably for the same reason Bono isn't singing WOWY like on ZooTV.
laziness?
Old 09-21-2009, 03:46 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:59 AM
good question!

It is weird hearing it like this. I mean, if it was an improvement compared the ZOO tv fine but that part(guitarwise) sounds bland while the overall performance of the song is absolutely cool so I don't get it.

overall I am not so impressed with Edge this tour/ last couple of records.

oh well, what can you do..
Old 09-21-2009, 03:51 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
laziness?
Because, unlike fans, they don't look back but instead try to do something new instead of just repeating themselves?
Old 09-21-2009, 03:59 AM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by last unicorn View Post
Because, unlike fans, they don't look back but instead try to do something new instead of just repeating themselves?
actually, off the forum i was discussing this thread and expressed the same sentiment you just did.

i was obviously kidding, but had to get a jab in a wowy as well.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:06 AM   #7
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:59 AM
you know, as amazing as performances have been of various songs of theirs over the years, i think i'd be disappointed if they were still performing everything like that today. just like with the sounds they produce on each album change, i'd expect their live performances to do the same. if they were still performing (for example) sunday bloody sunday like they did in 1983, i'd be shocked at their lack of attempt to evolve.

just purely judging their performances on 360 and discounting how i feel about the song itself, the only song i can say i'm disappointed with or not happy with is wowy. so that's not too bad i guess.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:13 AM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
just purely judging their performances on 360 and discounting how i feel about the song itself, the only song i can say i'm disappointed with or not happy with is wowy. so that's not too bad i guess.
in terms of songs they're playing that i like, i completely agree with this. i'd add mysterious ways to the list, but i understand the solo has been restored so it's off the shit list.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:56 AM   #9
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
in terms of songs they're playing that i like, i completely agree with this. i'd add mysterious ways to the list, but i understand the solo has been restored so it's off the shit list.
really? I need to hear one of the latest bootlegs
Old 09-21-2009, 04:58 AM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
really? I need to hear one of the latest bootlegs
i'm going on second hand evidence from the forum where someone claimed it was back, so i'm not 100%!
Old 09-21-2009, 04:59 AM   #11
The Fly

Actually it's kinda funny, but if you take a closer look at the way Edge treats their back catalogue you'll notice that many songs, for the first couple of tours played live (or maybe from the second tour onwards) will get a rather progressive and innovative treatment, taking them quite further from the album version in terms of arrangement, then after about a decade, or when they return to the setlist after a long hiatus, will receive a conservative treatment on Edge's part and a sound and an arrangement closer to the album version, this is true for Mysterious Ways, BTBS (they keep changing the end, but I guess it's more Bono-induced, as it has to suit his additions, the Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus have been getting closer than ever to the JT version on the Elevation and Vertigo tours), The fly has actually come closer to the ZooTV version and Hansa demos on the Vertigo tour, appart from its intro it had that organic sound quite removed from the contrast between dreamy and industrial direction that brought it to an extreme on the elevation tour. I just think that when it comes to Edge, as years go by he usually gets to feel more confident about the parts he played on the album or the way they played the song first in the studio, the current guitar parts on UV is pretty much what you can hear him play on Achtung, so I think its true for most songs that don't end up as acoustic versions.

I think bono once said something like "I would love to do a new arrangement for One, but the presbyterian Edge and the Teutonic Larry Mullen go 'No, it's gonna stay right where it is', Edge will say 'it's a guitar melody, I can't change the melody to a song'".

Adam is the one that likes to kick things around. listen to his melodic leads on Streets, and his offbeat punches on SBS right after the solo, It's getting raggae!
Old 09-21-2009, 05:48 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by last unicorn View Post
Goodmorning ms positivity!

so playing a powerchord where once was a beautiful set of notes is trying something new? well yes, I guess you are right. Doesn't mean it is an improvement. The last time Edge tries something new was Bullet and Fly elevation tour by the way. I forgot: Beautiful day has a new intro
Old 09-21-2009, 06:57 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:59 AM
I actually prefer how Edge plays Ultraviolet on this tour to how he played it on the ZooTV Tour. But I would say that Edge has become somewhat less inclined to experiment than Bono and Adam since the days of Pop.

Regarding The Fly, I strongly prefer Vertigo to Elevation - Vertigo had the full chaos of the song included, whereas Elevation dragged it closer to a generic arena rock song, although the dreaminess of the intro was cool. I don't like BTBS in any form.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #14
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Anybody know why it's not 1993? That was a good year for me...
Old 09-21-2009, 07:43 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Anybody know why it's not 1993? That was a good year for me...
i was actually wondering the same thing.