Any idea why Edge isn't playing Ultraviolet like Zoo TV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the 92-93 versions especially on the Explorer, when he slides the notes when Bono sings "I remember when we could sleep on stone" -- but now it just seems like some slight distortion on his Strat...

When they brought back Zoo Station it was on a Gibson like it was on 92-93... the Fly was even dirtier and harder with the Variax Line 6 instead of a Strat

A) He forgot the live arrangement from ZOOTV?
B) He wanted to play it differently?

You mean, in your humble opinion, "it's laziness"?

Maybe he just wanted to play it differently? I'd go with that before assuming, with nothing to back it up, that he's been lazy about preparing for the song.

Yeah, I don't really think you can call any of the band "lazy" in how they've been performing Ultraviolet this year.

The posters above somewhat miss the point when they claim that early 2000s U2 are nowhere near as good as their 1980s selves- tribute bands don't have to be good.

So what would you say "the last two" are? They aren't moving forward, let's face it, after Pop they quit experimenting and went back to their roots, they have even said ATYCLB is a throw back to their earlier days.

I fully agree.

Didn't Edge once say that Ultraviolet was an awkward song to play?

Maybe he meant the live version that they'd come up with for ZooTV was awkward, so they changed it?

Personally, I like how the new live version more closely resembles the guitar parts in the album version, since the album version is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Yes, you are right, Edge described it as "unwieldly" in U2 on U2- not the song a busker would play, he joked. But if he could do it then, there's no reason why he can't do it now.

So what would you say "the last two" are? They aren't moving forward, let's face it, after Pop they quit experimenting and went back to their roots, they have even said ATYCLB is a throw back to their earlier days.

"Experimenting" gawd I hate how this word is used in Interference!

Biz, how many times up to 2000 did U2 play with straight up pop, motown sounds, or power chord riffs? Just because you didn't like the result as much doesn't mean they were a "throw back to their early days".

Please don't make lazy comparisons.

Yes, you are right, Edge described it as "unwieldly" in U2 on U2- not the song a busker would play, he joked. But if he could do it then, there's no reason why he can't do it now.

It might not be a case of if he can play it that way or not.

Seems more that he's made a choice to try it another way. Just like he has made small changes to other songs, as he is one to experiment.

It's okay that you don't like his choice of approach to the song. But if you think about it, it is his choice to make.

I actually quite prefer the "new" Ultraviolet to the Zoo version.

Edge's new part during "...sleep on stones..." is more dramatic, it adds more of a "breakdown" to the song, as opposed to the slippery like he played in 1992, which kind of kept the song moving at the same dynamic. Also, Bono's singing the song much more powerfully than he did in 1992 and I think this new version serves both him and the song better.

It might not be a case of if he can play it that way or not.

Seems more that he's made a choice to try it another way. Just like he has made small changes to other songs, as he is one to experiment.

It's okay that you don't like his choice of approach to the song. But if you think about it, it is his choice to make.

No it's not. It's my choice to make.

I actually quite prefer the "new" Ultraviolet to the Zoo version.

Edge's new part during "...sleep on stones..." is more dramatic, it adds more of a "breakdown" to the song, as opposed to the slippery like he played in 1992, which kind of kept the song moving at the same dynamic. Also, Bono's singing the song much more powerfully than he did in 1992 and I think this new version serves both him and the song better.

More to do with the way Bono's belting it out I think, the Zoo TV middle 8 had less power to it and the shimmery guitar would probably be overpowered by Bono's current approach to the song.

Back
Top Bottom