and this is gloria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markou2

Babyface
i find it hard to believe that every time i see fans stating what songs they want to hear on tour that no one ever mentions gloria. i've been going to u2 gigs since 1985 and have always loved the opening beats of this song(being a drummer of course) but regardless,why is one of the greatest songs being overlooked by fans and the band:down:

i'm really new to forums maybe i'm missing something but i keep hearing people request songs from recent albums. i dont have a problem with that as i've never disliked any u2 song. just think gloria deserves a shout:love:

Just watched the Red Rocks version today. :drool:

Stellar track, definitely one of their best. They played it on the Vertigo Tour but only a precious few times.

I'll be honest I don't listen much these days to anything prior to UF and really have no desire to see any of it live. I mean I wouldn't mind, but I wouldn't request it, that's for sure. The only song from that era that I would really want to see is Tomorrow.

We all have our favorite songs, my top three will probably never get played, :shrug: oh well...

In 2005, I was fortunate enough to see Electric Co, Gloria, ACD/ATH and The Ocean. Electric Co was awesome, but the rest of those songs were done in a very half assed sort of way, especially by Bono. Adam put no effort into his bass solo at all. I think at 50 years old they really do think they're above playing songs they wrote when they were under 20. Too bad.

In 2005, I was fortunate enough to see Electric Co, Gloria, ACD/ATH and The Ocean. Electric Co was awesome, but the rest of those songs were done in a very half assed sort of way, especially by Bono. Adam put no effort into his bass solo at all. I think at 50 years old they really do think they're above playing songs they wrote when they were under 20. Too bad.

This really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why would they introduce songs like The Ocean if they thought they were above playing it?

Gloria would be one sure fire way to inject some energy into the show and actually acknowledge they existed prior to 1983(which is pretty unfashionable these days) as would Out of Control.

I love Gloria, live performances of it were unreal in the 80s and still pretty good on Vertigo. I am one of the biggest advocates here of dropping some ATYCLB and adding some early 80s rockers and I have been quite vocal about it on many occasions.

Gloria is a stand out song from what is a stand out era in U2's history.

This or anything prior to UF that is not SBS or NYD would be quite welcome on 360. I am not saying take over the set list with the entire Boy-October-War albums, but 1 or 2 songs per night would be nice.

Its not like U2 sucked and then found themselves and that is why they don't play this stuff. Quite the opposite, it is brilliant, critically acclaimed material.

I'll be honest I don't listen much these days to anything prior to UF and really have no desire to see any of it live. I mean I wouldn't mind, but I wouldn't request it, that's for sure. The only song from that era that I would really want to see is Tomorrow.

We all have our favorite songs, my top three will probably never get played, :shrug: oh well...

I feel about the same way... Tomorrow and Drowning Man are my two early 80s loves, but I generally feel the same way.

Gloria's always been my personal favourite U2 song, always has been. I'd be ecstatic if I was at a gig and they played it, and was excited when they played it at half a dozen or so shows on the last Tour.

From all accounts it didn't have the same energy that it had back in the 80's, and didn't Bono once say that his voice has changed so much that it is impossible for him to sing Gloria in any way similar to what he used to? I find this understandable, it's a pretty exemplary vocal track within the U2 canon, few songs like it vocally.. Very special song.

I'm all for bringing it back regardless, or at least ditching Elevation/Little While for a pre-83 song.

gloria.

great to hear all your comments re. playing gloria live again. the last time i saw it played live was late 80's or early 90's and i.ve caught them on every tour since 1985. didn't know bono said he found it hard hitting the notes these days .thats a major pity. i live in hope:sad: as a fan from way back its always amazing to hear older songs. so many memories:up:.im just disappointed that "i will follow" (equally amazing song) kept alive the bands 80's vibe but gloria did not. anyway, doesn't matter now. onwards and upwards. here's to more great stuff from the boys:applaud:

U2 had plenty of pre-1984 songs on Vertigo. It's okay if those get a rest now.

Gloria, however, was the weakest of them. Too slow, and not even close with the vocals.

For me it's because thats the ONLY song they ever pull out of October. I want to hear something else (ANYTHING ELSE!) from that album. It seems like they only remember Gloria. Really bugs me.

I think U2 associate October with bad thoughts, memories and feelings (much like POP), and that's why they won't touch it. If I'm not mistaken, the only songs to be played from the album in the last 25 years are Gloria and October. And even at that, October hasn't been done since 89 Australia. It honestly wouldn't kill them (and would probably be good for them) to bust out I fall down, I threw a brick, Fire, Rejoice or Tomorrow. Edge has displayed his utter hatred of With a Shout recently, so we won't be expecting to hear that!

I know they have a huge stadium of people to keep happy. I know they have a whole crew of people that have to know the setlist beforehand. I just wish sometime they'd be onstage and just say "FUCK IT" and start playing I threw a brick, for example. The casuals can sit through ONE song they don't know before they get back to Elevation and Vertigo.

Wherever I've been, I haven't seen such a hot discussion of setlists and wishes for it.:D Don't think bad, I'm glad to see this situation.

"Gloria" is great song, of course, one of best U2 songs, to the one hand (that's a pity that I know U2 too little and don't know how many times they played one or another song). To the other hand,

For me it's because thats the ONLY song they ever pull out of October. I want to hear something else (ANYTHING ELSE!) from that album. It seems like they only remember Gloria. Really bugs me.

This point of view is right for me too. I would like, personally, to hear "Tomorrow". As I understand, this song wasn't much played even in October Tour, right? It is so powerful and tragic, also, I think, it would be more suitable than "Gloria".

I know they have a huge stadium of people to keep happy. I know they have a whole crew of people that have to know the setlist beforehand. I just wish sometime they'd be onstage and just say "FUCK IT" and start playing I threw a brick, for example. The casuals can sit through ONE song they don't know before they get back to Elevation and Vertigo.

Because "typically" U2 do not like to do that themselves in addition to the factors you listed. They like to rehearse a song before they present to an audience. There have been VERY rare occassions where they tried to play something off the cuff but it typically doesn't turn out very well. They are perfectionists and a half ass, off the cuff version is not good enough for them. :shrug: Thats why it doesn't happen very often. They are not the kind of band that can pull that off. So I do not wish they would get in a pattern of doing it because it doesn't work for them.

Now, rehearsing a lot of songs, and then mixing those songs up. That could be done and is what I would wish for. I think U2 have sort gotten into a routine though and they are satisfied with a couple of changes instead of big changes as they go through a tour. Bono hates rehearsal and working out stuff so I think its a major factor as to why they don't change up a ton or rehearse more songs.

I love the Boy-October-War era, but U2 seems to forget about those songs from that time, except for a few songs during the beginning of the Vertigo tour when they were playing Electric Co., I Will Follow and An Cat Dubh, and of course SBS and New Year's Day.

Why would anyone bring up Gloria when it's the only October song that has been played this decade, several times on Vertigo? Surely it's off the rarities list at this point.

/huge Gloria fan

Welcome to interference :wave:. You'll find you're not at all alone in your Gloria love around here... hey, I'm listening to it right now!!

my top 3

i would need a top 33 to answer this one:ohmy: for this week only i would maybe go for OUT OF CONTROL, SO CRUEL, BREATHE. next week i could come up with 3 totally different songs .

HOLY SHIT!!!!

Hell has frozen over, pigs are flying, the Cubs will win the world series this year and Tiger Woods is a virgin!!!!!!!

U2 just played I WILL FOLLOW in Helsinki!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone in the world would have been forgiven for thinking U2 was formed in 1983 or 1984 with the set lists they have been playing.

Its not Gloria, but finally, more than 1 year and 2 plus legs into the 360 tour, U2 has played a pre 1983 song!!!!

Its.

About.

Fucking.

Time!

Since Elevation was the last time it was played very frequently, I don't mind it a bit!

I would have preferred Gloria or 2 Hearts, but I'll take some career balance to this setlist anyway I can get it.

Also, it is widely agreed upon that I Will Follow is the king of the "2" part of the U2 opening 1-2 punch equation. Its just spectacular in this spot, whether it follows 11:00, Streets, MOFO or Beautiful Day.

Plus, you can't argue with its power as a live track. Always gets the place jumping.

I hope I Will Follow was auditioning for Elevation's spot as a regular with this performance!

Back
Top Bottom