An interesting look back on the setlist changes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Switch the opening Achtung Baby songs up with No Line's, but still incorporate Achtung. It'd be a pretty sweet list...

Breathe
No Line On The Horizon
Magnificent
Get On Your Boots
I Will Follow
Elevation
Mysterious Ways
Until the End of the World
Mercy
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Every Breaking Wave
Zooropa
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Crazy Tonight/Discotheque (snippet)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Mothers Of The Disappeared
Walk On
One
Where the Streets Have No Name
Bad

Even Better Than The Real Thing
The Fly
With or Without You
Moment of Surrender

As cynical as it is, this may be the real reason:

In 2009, they were marketing for the UF remaster.
In 2011, they're marketing for the AB/Zooropa remaster.

In 2009, they were promoting NLOTH.

In 2011, after scrambling to find a set working in 2010, they finally settled on a setlist. Glastonbury Zoo TV nostalgia it is.

In 2009, they were promoting NLOTH.

In 2011, after scrambling to find a set working in 2010, they finally settled on a setlist. Glastonbury Zoo TV nostalgia it is.

It's kind of annoying to carry on this pointless debate in 2 different threads, but here goes:

Tell me, where does Zooropa fit in the 2011 setlist? Is it there for nostalgia's sake, the way you claim the AB songs are? Bull. It doesn't fit at all. It has no thematic purpose, and the band don't do diddly squat during it; half the casual fans fall asleep with the dull light show (side note--why don't they do something more interesting with the screen during Zooropa??). Gosh, it seems to fit the exact same role that UF did----also a random addition to the set, no thematic purpose, no musical purpose, the band brings the screen down and does diddly squat, the casual fans fall asleep. Both songs just so happen to be the title tracks for albums that were remastered in their respective years of inclusion.

Let me adjust my previous comment:

In 2009, U2 were marketing NLOTH and the UF remaster (come on, the bags from the souvenir stands were plastered with a UF advertisement). Hence, the inclusion of multiple NLOTH songs and the inclusion of a random (title) remaster track.

In 2011, U2 are no longer marketing a 2-year-old album that failed to connect both live and on disc, but they are marketing a remaster of one of, if not the, most popular albums in their career. Hence, the dropping of songs that didn't work or minimally worked/connected and the inclusion of multiple remaster songs that work and a random (title) remaster track.

Sure, I get the idea that they'd want to put out a rocking set for Glastonbury. But 4 straight Achtung songs? Why? They have other songs that rock, spanning their entire career, many of which would work at Glastonbury and show their badass side. Four straight Achtung? Pure advertisement.

Back
Top Bottom