Am I the only one that thinks that Fez/BB would be really boring?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgeFest

Refugee
Am I?

Do you honestly think that it wouldn't be pretty boring if they played it live? Like the song, but I don't know that it fits at a stadium gig. I'm all for switching up setlists, but I just can't see Fez/BB being the right thing to do it with.

Heck, I'd rather hear the wonderful NLOTH and Breathe make a comeback if they want to drop out something for another NLOTH song.

I am, however a big fan of hearing Zooropa again - I'd LOVE to hear them open with it! Coming out to the intro... it would be brilliant!

They should open with Always Forever Now segueing into Zooropa.

Fez could be pretty good with some work

"walk on" is a fucking embarassment. it's shameful and exemplifies the worst aspects of pop music.

It's trite, cliche ridden, and devoid of real emotion. It's absolutely pathetic. By far their worst song. Actually, I think it's the first bad song they ever put on an album.

I'll take it.

Person A: I really hate this song because of opinion x, opinion y and opinion z.

Person B: ZOMG YOU HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE PERSON YOU HAVE NO SOUL. WHY DO YOU HATE U2??????

That should cover it.

Now, back to Fez-Being Born. I think I've said in the past that I don't know how well it would go over live. I think the Fez bit works really well as an intro, but the rest of the song - while I love it - might fall a little flat.

But I dunno. Tonight while in this thread, I feel like I'd love for them to try it.

The song soars more than any other song on NLOTH. The part where Bono just shouts is my favorite part of the album, and I'm not a big fan of NLOTH.

Personally I think it has the potential to be something epic. If that tribute band in Chile could pull it off as well as they did, no doubt U2 could as well (search "Fez Being Born Chile" on youtube). Fez-BB into NLOTH would have been a killer pair, and also could have been one of their best opening sequences, but at this point will likely remain a dream.

it's an ok / good song
works really well on the album

would prolly be fine but nothing special live
agreed that bringing back No Line and/or Breathe makes more sense

it's an ok / good song
works really well on the album

would prolly be fine but nothing special live
agreed that bringing back No Line and/or Breathe makes more sense

I wanted to post something long regarding how well (or rather not) it would go over with the audience if U2 would play Fex-Being Born. But as usual, Salome has summarized it perfectly.

Fez-Being Born is not my favourite track in NLOTH, but I think it could work well as an intro or in a transition slot as they did the other day, but I wouldn't like it to be fixed in the setlist, Breathe and No Line On The Horizon were great in the first legs, I'd prefer to see their return better too.

I think it would be fucking perfect as an opener. Fez is pretty mystic and 'weird' if you must, but it would do well as music for the band to walk on stage to. Then they grab their instruments and wham! go into Being Born. Bono's screams. Yeaaaa. I can DEFINITELY see this work.

FEZ with cool images and lights used as an intro to a different song (something with a lot of energy) would be fun to hear. Being Born though would have to be squeezed in somewhere else that made sense, if it gets played at all. Definitely not as an opener, because after the initial Bono yells the song just kinda rolls along as a steady "meh" pace that really doesn't translate well as a crowd-pumping opener.

for a song like this, yeah, the INTRO and the lightning makes the show work.

Imagine the intro, with SOON merging in to FEZ, with the 4 of them walking the ramp, then starting, but the whole stage dark, just a few strobe lights here and there, then leading into the first "OOOOOOOOOOOH" where the whole CLAW lights up and make the people show what this is ALL about. Then, returning to darkness in the "6 o'clock in the aftrenoon" part. Next "OOOOOH" and the lights up again, and for the final part, after the lyrics are over, Bono drops his guitar and starts walking to the LEFT bridge, and begins making his way to the top of the elippse, so the crowd starts to cheer in basically the "down" part of the song. As the song ends, we hear the same "let me in the sound" loop so they can tie it to GOYB. At the middle of GOYB Bono returns to the main stage by the bridge on the RIGHT (so people on the right also get a glimpse at him). And THEN Edge and Adam go to the tip of the catwalk when Bono stays with Larry for the "Let me in the sound" part.

Kingdom
FEZ/Being Born
Get On Your Boots

:drool:

It would be EPIC. Such a big sound and yes of course they can reproduce that live. It has minimal involvement from Bono. A chance for the band to cut loose.

i bet a lot of people thought Zoo Station would be a boring opener back in the day. i think a little bit of reworking in the live setting, and this would have been an epic opener.

I think with some changes it would definitely work as an opener. There are parts where, on the album, the song subtly kicks it up a notch, and they're great, on the album, but it would require something more obvious, something bigger, from Edge in a stadium. That mixed with a sort of lighting stage by stage 'unveiling' of the claw would be pretty cool. But anywhere else in the set, I don't think it would work.

It could even work played as an intro from a backing tape, perhaps in a slightly changed instrumental version. No-one need worry about recreating the 'wall of sound' on the album version then:lol:

I think thats more that it's too slow to follow Stingray. One of the Turin soundchecks features BD as the opener, with the extended intro and it sounds really good

Yes! When I heard that for the first time the other day, I was all "what is this???? this sounds great!" Ha.

Back
Top Bottom