All Discussion on 2011 Rehearsals, Soundchecks *SPOILER ALERT*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure that's right about YBR, but I'd have been curious to see if it would have stuck around if played in Europe. The same thing might have happened, to be honest.

True. And at least Seattle is an earlier show, so maybe it'll still be limping along at that point. :wink:

YBR was a cool treat but it choked the show to a halt just as much as any ATYCLB song people hate around here. It was a fun thing to try out though.

It must suck to be in Europe knowing they won't be playing it over there...

You look great in green

/USA!-USA!-USA!

..wow, lamest post i've read here in a while
why are you proud of being from a country that boasts disinterested, bored crowds that get up to go to the bathroom the second a song they don't recognise from a best-of is played, thus risking one of u2's best songs being dropped from a set in the middle of a US leg? If they have any sense they'll play it to open-minded south american crowds then deprive the americans of it :wink: hahah

In all seriousness, Zooropa is in my top 5 studio tracks. As already pointed out the 93 version was terrible and as much as it will be great to hear it again i really think it needs to be filed under 'best left in a studio'. I just don't think that the, part 2, wall of sound can be recreated live. But I really hope i'm wrong. But fair play to them for having a go.

I'm happy to hear it in any form. I'm not going to be disappointed if it doesn't sound exactly like the album version.

Then again, I didn't think the '93 versions were so bad.

:lol:

Yeah, that one seemed to get dropped because someone realized "Wow, okay. That kind of sucked" rather than crowd ambivalence.

which is why U2 need to play SMALLER FUCKING VENUES! "intimate" gigs as music mags call them where they can just get on a stage, no huge set, stripped down lights...screen at the back, and just music. no working to lighting cues, no worrying about not keeping in sync with videos, just playing great music and busting out the rarities in between the rest while they're at it!

Possibly? But with a stadium full of 80,000 anything except WOWY, Streets, One, Pride, SBS.... will leave half the crowd a bit non plussed.
I love stadium shows for the 'grandness of the occasion' but a band can get away with a lot more in an arena/theatre

Gareth beat me to it

I really think the soundcheck sounded great. I think it'll work well in a live setting. Only I think that the casuals will be left standing there with a :| look on their face while us die-hards will be :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:.

and this is why after playing it 3 times it will be dropped:sad:

Then again, not all the casuals knew UV or HMTMKMKM, but the performance made up for it it, YBR would never have taken off in a stadium, though I applaud them for trying and feel very fortunate that I got to see it live; ES could have worked but they needed to iron it out before quitting on it all together, though it would have served the song better if they first attempted it back on the Vertigo tour. That one really burns, I love that song and the fact that it came around excited me so much only to watch it disappear, the worst are the NLOTH tracks we'll probably never see again because they weren't made for a stadium audience that hadn't heard them because they weren't on the radio (RIP NLOTH, UC & Breathe).

In the shows I was at in GA pretty much all of the NLOTH tracks rocked the crowd (none moreso than Boots) but in NJ in the nosebleeds I noticed pretty much everyone only got into the warhorses. So I suppose the GA is mostly made up of people like us.

Back
Top Bottom