ALL discussion about Acrobat here!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Acrobat question

Out of curiousity, is there an actual REASON they dont play Acrobat???? Has anyone actually gotten to tell one of them there is a contingent out there that would LOVE to hear that live?????????

They never played it before because they felt it didn't work.

Probably they feel they'll never be able to do it justice live.

Just my guess though.

They did actually rehearse it in August 1992, or more to the point Bono rehearsed a solo acoustic version to lead into Zoo Station.

But it was a bad idea and they sensibly dropped it. However, sense only went so far and they didn't have the wherewithal to realise a full electric Acrobat would have been awesome.

Taking one of your darkest, most intense rockers and watering it down into an acoustic version just seems like an astonishingly daft move to me.

Because Edge would be exposed.

How he managed to record that beauty is still a miracle :hmm:

Taking one of your darkest, most intense rockers and watering it down into an acoustic version just seems like an astonishingly daft move to me.

Really? While I agree that the full version would have been better, I love the Hershey soundcheck version! :) It's full of chocolatey goodness!

It's too emotional for Bono to sing. It was written in memory of the little fellow in the All I Want Is You video who died tragically doing an acrobatic act.

it was a bit of production genius that they made a song with that riff good enough to appear on a U2 album

Acrobat acoustic also would've been a weird opener to Zoo TV live - as, based on the evidence from the Hershey bootleg, it was rehearsed as a quiet opener before the sound and fury of the main show.

I don't mind it as an acoustic song personally but I can understand why plenty respect the perfection of the recorded version. They could play it live, solo or as a full band song, but it just wouldn't be the same.

I think Acrobat is one of those songs that can be a bit hit and miss live, like YBR. Don't get me wrong, the album version is great, but when you try to bring it to the same level live perhaps that's where the problems are. Also it's quite a dark song, not sure many people will like/appreciate it unfortunately.

as much as i love the song, i just think it's one of those that's so rare that when it wasn't played at ZooTV, the chances of it ever being played went out the window. kind of like "One Step Closer", "When I Look At The World" "Playboy Mansion", etc...

I don't think Acrobat is that good. For me it's even an average song on Achtung Baby (but there's so much brilliance). I'd rather see The Fly come back.

Me too. That or Zoo Station as I think with the wheel mic and LED suit it would rock.

It's too emotional for Bono to sing. It was written in memory of the little fellow in the All I Want Is You video who died tragically doing an acrobatic act.
he manages to sing one tree hill, sometimes, and kite just fine... and they're much closer to home
I think Acrobat is one of those songs that can be a bit hit and miss live
but they never played it...
as much as i love the song, i just think it's one of those that's so rare that when it wasn't played at ZooTV, the chances of it ever being played went out the window. kind of like "One Step Closer", "When I Look At The World" "Playboy Mansion", etc...

well i stand to be corrected but the first time made its debut on the vertigo tour, and i personally count the kansas 01 snippet of wilatw as a performance, it goes for two minutes.

:D

That would explain things........ Edge exposed, and Adam in tears. Things wouldnt be good. Therapy session Center Stage.

Exactly, If Edge exposed himself on stage, Adam would be in tears when he realized that contrary to what Bongo has said for all these years, he in fact does not have the biggest "instrument" in the band.

finishing the ZooTV with THAT song, and the audiences being bombarded by images of war and chaos and shopping and media and all the stuff ZooTV was all about, almost being apocaliptic, would've been great

I think UTEOTW could have been followed by Acrobat in some of the earlier Zoo shows where WGRYWH was played....Think it would have flowed nicely...

Yeah, I've always thought UTEOTW --> Acrobat would've absolutely killed.

The encore should, nay, MUST be :wink:

One w/ Do You Hear Us Coming
Streets
Ultraviolet
Bad
(take a short break here, build suspense with something of a Larry drum solo, ala Breathe)
Acrobat
Love Is Blindness
(epic organ segue)
MOS

For some reason, I really love Bad being thrown in the middle there. I doubt Ultraviolet--->Acrobat would work as well live as it does on the album; it's a mood thing.

Back
Top Bottom