All complaints about the setlist HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if the flow isn't there anyway, they should just rotate the warhorses every night. then no one could (well they would anyway :wink:) complain about u2 playing any of the warhorses at anytime. am i tired of MW and Pride and Bullet and One and WOWY, yes but if they rotated them around then I wouldn't be bothered by either seeing them or reading about them. the warhorses are all great songs but sometimes the band sleepwalks through the performances (aka the butchering of MW). I think that the only real cool section(s) were tonight with Kill Me and UV going into the reflective end of the show and UF, COBL, and Vertigo with the colour scheme and building up of the song tempo's.

edit: Soon should start the encore.

A lot of people on this board know how I feel about TUF.

And honestly...I'm not that upset about it's departure from the set list.

Umm, was last nights show the only show its missed? It was at Horsens #1. It will be back at either the first or second Helsinki shows.

Umm, was last nights show the only show its missed? It was at Horsens #1. It will be back at either the first or second Helsinki shows.

I'm mostly just afraid that if it misses one show, it won't be long before it's always gone. I find it amazing it's lasted as long as it has.

Your edit of my post doesn't even make sense if you remove the other obvious one, BD.

Elevation works on the most elementary level. Personally I don't like the song, but it fits. Walk On, I can see your point theme wise but it's a good song and a feel good message, it works well in this setting.

And IALW is probably the most underrated song in interference, I love it... there I said it. Ramone had good taste.

Never said anything about being overplayed, just bored with it. I first got into U2 around 89, so bootlegs were all I listened to for awhile and honestly Out of Control and Gloria don't appeal to me, frankly neither do SBS or NYD to be honest.

What doesn't make sense?

How is me saying that In A Little While is the only song that really fits the theme not making sense?

I have said very, very clearly on numerous occasions that I would like BD and In A Little While to stay in the set every night.

Of course, I am right with you, IALW is woefully underrated, a beautiful little gem of a song that has never, ever been a regular until now. Let it stay, I agree.

Elevation, are you trying to tell me that this is the only song that will get the crowd in a fun, rocking mood? Because that is just false on its face.

You are more than right about Walk On, nice message, nice song, etc, but plenty of songs can make the political/inspiration amidst adversity point just as well or better.

As for the early 80s, agree to disagree.

I guess I falsely lumped your post into U2 girl's post saying these songs got enough play on Vertigo.

The problem remains:

ATYCLB overload.

hey guys

could it be that NLOTH was more of the Morrocco type vibe and not this 'space' direction they have been doing? maybe songs of ascent were more of the space vibe aka soon? dunno

i think it got dropped for a few second nights last year, but it kept coming back.

i'm constantly waiting for it to be dropped and replaced by wild honey or sometimes you can't etc etc.

I was just thinking that after I made that last post :doh:

no line on the horizon is more atmospheric than moroccan, sound-wise.

yeah, just trying to think of why they would drop so NLOTH songs. WAS, MOS, Cedars, Mag have that atmosphere. maybe its the rock songs from NLOTH that don't really fit the theme?

because they're useless judges of their own material.

no line on the horizon got the same reaction as other, more popular songs did, and many people knew the words despite it not being a single, so they decide to drop it.

you wonder why you bother.

why I bother or the band? :wink:

What I don't understand is why they're bothering with a slightly soothing spacey theme if they're doing stadium shows. Save that for arenas.

You don't think BD being about an astronaut(something Bono said back in 2000) or Elevation(take off) fit the theme?

This is called reaching and splitting hairs and grasping at straws, sorry.

Beautiful Day: Whatever its about, it is a pretty universal meaning about hope and seeing the good amidst adversity. I heard Bono say its about a man who has lost everything yet never been happier, etc, I have heard numerous interviews with Bono, Edge, Adam, Larry, the list goes on, offering other interpretations.

Moot point anyway, I never said it should leave the set.

Elevation: Half assed, on the fly reasoning here. The lyrics are throw away, about the feeling one gets from something undefined, and there is much more focus on just rhyming words to a jump up and down riff then there is any kind of theme. Just because they put the space ship effect after performances of it and yell "lift off" does not mean it ties any more into the theme.

I could do the same thing you just did:

A Sort of Homecoming: Going back to space? Back to the moon? Seeing the landscape below as we lift off?

In God's Country: Now its about JFK's dream and vision of an American ideal so great we can go to the moon.

Pride: Now about the Pride the astronauts on the 1st mission to the moon had.

Do you see what we can do here?

Elevation is not so fitting to the(pretty thrown together, undeveloped) theme as to cause major loss if it goes. In A Little While and the Major Tom intro are the only songs that are indispensable to the space theme.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Not going to do a back and forth here for long.

The bottom line is you want your moles in holes with souls and I'll fight fate, loosen my lips, run on borderlands and dream beneath a desert sky any day of the week and twice on Sundays instead of that.:wave:

Sound like a good summary?

Elevation: Half assed, on the fly reasoning here. The lyrics are throw away, about the feeling one gets from something undefined, and there is much more focus on just rhyming words to a jump up and down riff then there is any kind of theme. Just because they put the space ship effect after performances of it and yell "lift off" does not mean it ties any more into the theme.

I could do the same thing you just did:

A Sort of Homecoming: Going back to space? Back to the moon? Seeing the landscape below as we lift off?

In God's Country: Now its about JFK's dream and vision of an American ideal so great we can go to the moon.

Pride: Now about the Pride the astronauts on the 1st mission to the moon had.

these are really all just like saying they should play red light when they want the show to stop (ha) and dirty day when it's raining.

these are really all just like saying they should play red light when they want the show to stop (ha) and dirty day when it's raining.

Which was my point exactly!

I wanted 3 more examples as poorly reasoned as "Elevation is lift off which means it fits a space theme."

This is called reaching and splitting hairs and grasping at straws, sorry.

Well except he's on record saying it's about an astronaut and the astronaut's perspective of entering back into the atmosphere. And this was when ATYCLB was released.

"See the world in green and blue"

:shrug:

I know he's given the other explanation too, not every song has just one inspiration.

If you're wondering why you bother, well, I would hope you still bother because you still enjoy the shows when you're there in person and you still enjoy the music they're making.

If you don't enjoy the shows when you go, and you really don't care for their music anymore, then no, I don't know why one would bother, either. And maybe then it's time to have fond memories of your former favorite band and move on to greener pastures. Yeah, you can always keep hoping they'll come back to something you love, but it's not like you still can't do that if you say farewell for now.

That's kind of it at the end of the day, right? I can bitch until I'm blue in the face about my frustration with their setlists and their decisions, but at the end of the day, they're still my favorite band and I still really love much of what they do.

And this isn't a complaint about the complaining - I get it, and I do it, too. You just have to stop and ask yourself the hard questions.

Do I care anymore?

Is Bono okay?

What are the sociopolitical implications of Edge's beanie?

:)

I know it's kind of silly - I mean, if we didn't care, we wouldn't be here, and we bitch out of love - hard as that is to believe. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom