All complaints about the setlist HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After the first night, i really liked what they done with the setlist.

Firstly, opening with Beautiful Day for the leg was a wise move, safe move yes, but it does the job every opener should.

The introduction of 2 new songs was very exciting of course, and i guess ditching the slow song after one night was expected as it sounded unfinished. But bring in some more material you want to try out, at least it keeps every setlist fresh and new.

The one big mistake was dropping UV for Hold Me. Why not drop something like IALW which does the claw no justice what so ever, neither the theme of the tour. I'll always stick up for U2 when people moan about Vertigo and Elevation being played every night, but songs like IAWL, Walk On and Moment of Surrender just need to be dropped after one leg.

Lastly, just change the order of the songs, changes up the setlist doesn't mean having to bring in new songs that take up time rehearsing, just switch about the order each show, not hard at all.

I will say this, though, I am getting quite sick of the false choice being presented here between pleasing casuals and pleasing die hards. Much like the acrobat said, U2 could afford to do 2 or 3 songs per night that not everyone will now. I would argue they already do.Who the hell really knows Moment of Surrender or Glastonbury or Miss Sarajevo or anything from NLOTH, an album that did not have close to a hit?

When will people understand that 2 or 3 songs far from knocks the war horses out of the set? Get rid of Elevation and Walk On, you've lost 2 moderately known songs, but you haven't by any means lost warhorses.

Beautiful Day
Still Haven't Found
Desire
Bullet
Pride
Streets
Mysty Ways
One
WOWY
Bad
SBS
NYD
IWF

Those are the warhorses to clear things up.

Any disagreement?

Additions/subtractions so we can be on the same page here?

I am sick of hearing defenses of ATYCLB that say "they have to play the warhorses."

Granted, it contains the only 2000s song that could be considered a warhorse in Beautiful Day, but I haven't seen anyone here suggest that it should go anywhere.

Yes I agree with this post.

it's very interesting to see so many varied opinions in here.

a lot of people are complaining and everyone has their "solution" and yet i don't agree with a lot of them. just goes to show that it doesn't achieve, well, anything :)

Dropping UV hurts. HMTMKMKM is great but man dropping the highlight of the show for many of us sucks bad.

U2 is fortunate enough that hey have many war horses they could go to that they aren't playing this tour:

AIWIY
IWF
Desire
Bad
Bullet
EBTTRT
The Fly
ASOH
Pride

It's obvious that Streets, One, WOWY, BD, SBS seem to be in concrete and that's fine. We hardcores make up only a small segment of a u2 show. The shows I went to in the states seemed alike. I still had fun. The GA crowd was more harcore fans and the stands had more stock brokers and dentists. B and the boys likely decide what to play based on the total crowd reaction. They would know. But, my God, it seems like they would just try some different stuff. At this point, rotating in 1-2 substitutes would be great. Maybe EBTTRT for MW. Just one tweak!

Bad is a warhorse?

Also, kudos to this thread. :up:

My only complaint is that IALW is being played every night. It's every night too many.

I think everyone would agree that if they just rotated the warhorses every show then there would be much much less complaining. I know it wouldn't stop, but it would be amazing say if Bullet, IWF, and Bad were played tonight instead of SBS, Lookin For, and MW. Just change up the warhorses....

I think everyone would agree that if they just rotated the warhorses every show then there would be much much less complaining. I know it wouldn't stop, but it would be amazing say if Bullet, IWF, and Bad were played tonight instead of SBS, Lookin For, and MW. Just change up the warhorses....

I agree with you there.. Just change up the warhorses and it would be better.

It would be cool if they add I Will Follow and Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around The World!

I think someone else hit on this already but this tours problem isn't so much with the song choices, but the pacing. The pacing/theming on this tour really has never worked completely. This is something that has not been a problem on prior tours. On prior tours they tweaked things at the begining and then got into a good pace and groove that worked very well. Has not happened on this tour. The original basic order from the first and second legs started with a thud by opening with Breathe (I like Breathe, but it was an extremely average opening song). So they correct this...................with Beautiful Day??????? Hard to believe but this is even worse. I do not have a problem with them playing Beautiful Day and expect it to be played but not to open. It does not work at all as an opener. The original celtic intro to B Day was very cool and gave the song new life when it was done on the first and 2nd legs, so of course they promptly dropped that part on the 2nd leg. :doh:

There are some cool ideas and song choices on this tour. Ultraviolet, Unf. Fire, HMTMKMKM. Unfortunately one was dropped for the other. :doh: Play both dammit!! :) I like Amazing Grace into Streets, I think that works very well. I also think Crazy Tonight really gets the crowd into it and is an original and good retooling for the show (although I would like to hear the original studio version live as well). Otherwise the pacing needs to be completely retooled. Its a shame really as they have probably they coolest stage they have ever had and I think they are performing well. But I think they are going through the motions when it comes to setlist pacing and a lot of the song selections. I partially blame Willie Williams on this as he is part of the creative team that comes up with the theming. So its primarily on U2, but Willie really has failed to a certain degree from a creative perspective also. Its like they got this really cool car (the 360 stage) but don't know quite how to drive it well and are content to just stick on cruise control. :shrug:

:yes: I wish everyone understood this.

But no. Instead, we have this:
Let's say a large number of hardcore fans wanted to hear Trip Through Your Wires played live. And let's say that, by happy coincidence, the band played it tomorrow night & for the next two shows before dropping it.

There'd be those who were livid at the band for playing such 'crap'.
There'd be those who were estatic that the band played their favorite song.
There'd be those who would whine that the band only played it for Europe.
There'd be those who would argue that the band must be retiring since they'd pulled such an obscure song from their catalog.
There'd be those who would argue that the band was edgy again since they pulled such an obscure song from their catalog.
Etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc. :rolleyes:
:crack: :doh: :|

This is an excellent post and how I've felt about Setlist issues in the past. I'm now just happy they are putting out new stuff and still want to tour. This also got me thinking, I've seen U2 29 times and looking back I've seen them play:

Streets 27 times (which I will never ever grow sick of)
Pride 26 times (which for some reason I've never cared for)

To me it's so subjective, what I might like a majority of the rest of the crowd will not like.

BUT I do have to say dropping UV was not a great choice, I would have liked to seen a UV segue into HMTMKMKM.

I think someone else hit on this already but this tours problem isn't so much with the song choices, but the pacing. The pacing/theming on this tour really has never worked completely. This is something that has not been a problem on prior tours. On prior tours they tweaked things at the begining and then got into a good pace and groove that worked very well. Has not happened on this tour. The original basic order from the first and second legs started with a thud by opening with Breathe (I like Breathe, but it was an extremely average opening song). So they correct this...................with Beautiful Day??????? Hard to believe but this is even worse. I do not have a problem with them playing Beautiful Day and expect it to be played but not to open. It does not work at all as an opener. The original celtic intro to B Day was very cool and gave the song new life when it was done on the first and 2nd legs, so of course they promptly dropped that part on the 2nd leg. :doh:

There are some cool ideas and song choices on this tour. Ultraviolet, Unf. Fire, HMTMKMKM. Unfortunately one was dropped for the other. :doh: Play both dammit!! :) I like Amazing Grace into Streets, I think that works very well. I also think Crazy Tonight really gets the crowd into it and is an original and good retooling for the show (although I would like to hear the original studio version live as well). Otherwise the pacing needs to be completely retooled. Its a shame really as they have probably they coolest stage they have ever had and I think they are performing well. But I think they are going through the motions when it comes to setlist pacing and a lot of the song selections. I partially blame Willie Williams on this as he is part of the creative team that comes up with the theming. So its primarily on U2, but Willie really has failed to a certain degree from a creative perspective also. Its like they got this really cool car (the 360 stage) but don't know quite how to drive it well and are content to just stick on cruise control. :shrug:

Personally i dont have a problem with the pacing of the show :shrug: and why should they totally overhaul the pacing of a show just because a few people on the internet dont like it?

I just wonder, don't they get sick of playing those same songs every night?

I wonder this as well, with them and other bands I like.. I understand them appealling to the casual fan who doesn't not go to more than one show but at what point does this change? They obviously know that there are thousands of hardcore fans who go to multiple shows. I know they do occasionally satisfy us fans by throwing a old song in here and there so I appreicate that. But with over 30 yrs of music why can't they shake it more? And I know that production has something to do with it. For me this is curiosity and not really complaining..

Since I have a whole year to ponder this I thought about expressing this now..

and then maybe its too early in the leg to be semi-pessimistic? :hmm:

No Line and Breathe at soundcheck today!

Not to be pessimistic as this sounds like good news on the surface. But here is my guess, rather than checking those to place somewhere cool in the setlist, they soundchecked them to do just like they did on the first leg and part of the second leg since its a 2nd night show. Open with Breathe and No Line, just like before. Dropping the Stingray intro and moving B. Day to later in the set. How creative and new! :sigh:

I really hope I'm wrong. Although it will be great that No Line is back in the setlist. My favorite from the new album. So a partial thumbs up even if it transpires as I predict. :up:

The other change I could see is going back to Ultraviolet over HMTMKMKM for the 2nd night encore. Basically reverting back to the old setlist for the most part.

I guess it could be worse, they could play the exact same setlist again on second night shows. I don't think they will do that. If they do, they have officially gone Rolling Stones greatest hits tour.

How can you say that though blue room? seriously? they repeated setlists during multiple shows during ZooTv and Popmart, so it wouldnt be anything new.

Personally i dont have a problem with the pacing of the show :shrug: and why should they totally overhaul the pacing of a show just because a few people on the internet dont like it?

I think its more than just a few. I know several people that are non diehards that went to 2nd leg shows. They thought it was like being in church. Up and down in their seat, that to me shows the pacing is off even for non diehards.

You are right, its a subjective thing. But I dont think there has been a cohesive theme for this tour and thats why the pacing is off. Personally, I have a problem with the pacing. So we disagree, my guess is neither of us are alone in our opinion sand more than a handful share my opinion just as you imply a majority share yours. :shrug:

How can you say that though blue room? seriously? they repeated setlists during multiple shows during ZooTv and Popmart, so it wouldnt be anything new.

They had a set theme and a good pacing for those tours. The core setlists for those tours worked very well. THAT is the major difference.

They had a set theme and a good pacing for those tours. The core setlists for those tours worked very well. THAT is the major difference.

But they where still repeated setlists, there is no other way of saying it, as you said in your last reply to me, its all subjective, some people enjoy the theming of the show, and some dont, and i am pretty sure people said the exact same during the ZooTv and popmart era's

But they where still repeated setlists, there is no other way of saying it, as you said in your last reply to me, its all subjective, some people enjoy the theming of the show, and some dont, and i am pretty sure people said the exact same during the ZooTv and popmart era's

Ok, what is the theming of this show and explain how you think it works? The space theme???? It accounts for maybe two songs and the PA opening music only.

I have never had a problem with static setlists for the most part, yes, I wished they would mix it up more sometimes. The difference is before, I thought the static setlists they were using at least worked if you saw them once. I don't think that is the case on this tour. We could go round and round. I wouldnt have posted this but there is a thread about it, so obviously other people think there may be some problems with this tours setlist and I'm indicating what I think is wrong. :shrug:

Fans may think there'a something wrong with the setlist,but the band seems to differ with them.

Fans may think there'a something wrong with the setlist,but the band seems to differ with them.

Well clearly and/or they don't feel like working on changes. Bono hates rehearsal and soundcheck. Ultimately the best judge of a show is the audience, not the band.

I guess I should reiterate before I begin to get flamed. U2 are the best live band out there, I can't wait to see them again. They are performing well and the stage is awesome. I just think the setlist could be better and was hoping with the long lay off they would improve it from before. I think they have taken a step back in a lot of ways instead of improving. Thats my personal opinion, I know not everyone agrees, I know some do. This thread is about how you don't feel it works so I'm expressing my opinion on it. I have seen U2 live 44 times in 23 years and this is the only tour I have felt this way about. :shrug:

Ok, what is the theming of this show and explain how you think it works? The space theme???? It accounts for maybe two songs and the PA opening music only.
so, much like POPMart then? :wink:

in the end themes, setlists, even how well the band plays hardly has any influence on how much I enjoy a U2 show
a far bigger influence has the way the people around me are behaving
if they are dead set on not having a good time then it will negatively influence my enjoyment

that's why I dislike negative crap talking on this forum
because piss-ants that like nothing more than complaining will end up ruining it for others
(none of this is directed at Blue Room btw)

enjoy the show :up:

Back
Top Bottom