After Glastonbury, will the setlist see more of...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do care. NLOTH is better than ATYCLB and Bomb together.

:cute: so, how you doin'? :sexywink:

silliness aside, I absolutely agree . . . in fact it would be difficult for me to agree with you any more than I already do . . . fecking adore NLOTH :up:

loved the glastonbury set . . . larrys drumming on EBTTRT was spine tinglingly fabulous, adore the fact that they did the SBS / Bad / Pride trio; the Fly, Out of Control . . . gah . . . just all of it :heart: :heart: ~ and beyond happy that MOS got an airing, even if it apparently tanked ~ that song deserves to be heard to an audience beyond the die hards :shrug: (not that it matters, but all of my mates who caught the last shows in Oz, most of whom were curious onlookers at best, thought MOS was gorgeous and were glad they stuck around for it :) )

did she do some snippet??

didn't see everything but I dont' think so, she mentioned Coldplay and U2 and that she loves them however. What amused me was the amount of guys standing there singing along, smiling, having a great time(even the more "Alternative" looking ones) . She is way better than that overhyped doll called Gaga and she delivered big time. I for one am glad that I can still think out of the box so to say:reject::wink:

re: OOC at Glasto

I wonder if they got the dreaded red light and had to cut a song like "40" which we know they rehearsed, it was an odd choice to end on especially after MOS... that or it was a bonus ie. "fuck it let's play one more, what's easy? OOC? well awright then..."

I have a feeling that they were due to finish on Moment of Surrender but they sensed the fact that they were about to close on an absolute whimper. From down the front I could see Bono finish and then dash over to Adam (who was about to walk off) and signal to everyone to do one more. Wise move.

I have a feeling that they were due to finish on Moment of Surrender but they sensed the fact that they were about to close on an absolute whimper. From down the front I could see Bono finish and then dash over to Adam (who was about to walk off) and signal to everyone to do one more. Wise move.

Absolutely! Most people outside of the band would have sensed it about 2 years earlier though:lol:

re: OOC at Glasto

I wonder if they got the dreaded red light and had to cut a song like "40" which we know they rehearsed, it was an odd choice to end on especially after MOS... that or it was a bonus ie. "fuck it let's play one more, what's easy? OOC? well awright then..."

There would have been no 'red light' as far as the festival was concerned, they had up to 60 minutes up their sleeve before the curfew. As for the BBC broadcast of it... don't know. All three headliners brought their sets in at bang-on 11.30, so it's possible they were all playing to that, not the crowd.

And it did look genuinely spontaneous. As Mikey said, Bono raced around grabbing everyone as they were about to leave.

Yeah, and didn't he have to wait for Edge to get the right guitar? Glad they did that last-minute move.

Absolutely! Most people outside of the band would have sensed it about 2 years earlier though:lol:

I think they did sense it! But they were trying to create the atmosphere from the tour, where they close with MOS, which can be so moving, and then, because it's not their usual audience, they wanted to be sure to lift up the crowd afterwards with a rocker and it sort of like felt like a surprise. But I think they planned it.

Didn't they do the same thing on the Elevation Tour, when they played Turin outside instead of in an arena. They 'closed' with Walk On as usual, but then came out afterwards, maybe to lift up a crowd that was larger than usual.

Turin set

http://www.u2gigs.com/show1125.html

There would have been no 'red light' as far as the festival was concerned, they had up to 60 minutes up their sleeve before the curfew. As for the BBC broadcast of it... don't know. All three headliners brought their sets in at bang-on 11.30, so it's possible they were all playing to that, not the crowd.

And it did look genuinely spontaneous. As Mikey said, Bono raced around grabbing everyone as they were about to leave.

Thanks, yeah I didn't see it. I was also wondering about curfews generally as they are getting stricter alas with open air shows, some even, like the Hampton Court Festival had the bands turn the bloody volume down...

OoC seems to be their "bar band" tune... easy to just play...

I think it Out of Control was a great closer, even if it was more spontaneous than actually planned. I felt like it sort of brought everything back to the band's roots. They played a set showing off all the different eras of music they've had from the 80's to the 90's to the 00's and then they brought it all back and said, "look, this festival is all about the music; here's our first single, it's very special to us; this is what started it all".

Great decision to close with Out of Control, and if Bono was the one who spontaneously decided to do it, then more props to him. There's a reason he's the "leader" of the band haha :applaud::applaud::applaud:

MOS is an awful closer even for the tour. It's been my opinion from the start, though I feel like I'm on my own with this one.

While I love the song and have come around to ... I don't know, I guess appreciating it as the closer on this tour, I do wish they'd play something instead that more of the crowd was into.

It's such a let down, energy-wise after the crowd response of WOWY to have such a half-assed response after MOS as the last thing before (or while) you're streaming toward the exits.

Yeah, that's my beef with it. To me, nothing can beat hearing 40 close the first DC Vertigo show in 2005, with the crowd singing "How long..." all the way out of the arena and down into the metro (subway). MOS is just a buzzkill. You could argue Love Is Blindness was, too, but at least there were theatrics in the performance. I think that the issue is that the band love MOS, and there's really no better place for it in the setlist. It's too long & too low tempo & mood to be in the middle of the show unless it were part of a B-stage segment, a la IGWSHA, but it's not really even suited for that. So I get the picture, it's just a shame that they neeeeeeever tack anything on afterward. I think ending with the Jungleland snippet that B's doing now is probably the best thing they've done to it.

Back
Top Bottom