A suggestion: U2 should do little shows as well as big shows next go round. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2009, 02:01 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 12:53 AM
A suggestion: U2 should do little shows as well as big shows next go round.

Hi all,

I think the band should consider doing smaller shows for, say, U2.com members, in addition to big shows for the general population. Here's why...

While I was watching the band in D.C., it became obvious to me why they chose to stick with the hits for the majority of their set. When you're playing to 80,000 people who aren't U2 obsessives, songs like Beautiful Day and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For pretty much guarantee a good reaction. Truth be told, the crowd's enthusiasm towards these songs had me dancing and singing along, even though normally I'd skip over them on my Ipod.

Contrast that with Your Blue Room, which pretty much had everyone around me baffled. Although I was psyched to hear it, it was a definite down moment for the majority in attendance, even those three rows back from the stage. Given the context, it really is risky for U2 to play such an obscure song, when they could easily substitute it for another tried and true crowd pleaser.

So although I regularly complain about the lack of deep cuts in the setlist, I understand the band's reasoning behind what they choose to play. They simply want to have as many people as possible lose their shit as much as possible without totally alienating their longtime die-hard fans.

That said, for once, I shockingly propose that the band actually FOLLOWS in the Rolling Stones' footsteps. If I remember correctly, the Stones played little club and theatre shows interspersed between big arena shows on their last tour. Although I this might be overtaxing for the band on the current tour, especially on Bono's voice, in the future, it might be cool if they do a small u2.com members-only tour in some select cities. I think this would be especially great if they did it between album cycles, so there wouldn't be any pressure to promote a particular record. That way, they could play whatever they wanted, to an enthusiastic audience that knows their catalogue intimately. In other words, CRAZIER, STRANGER, MORE CHALLENGING AND EXCITING SETLISTS with plenty of lesser known album cuts, b-sides, covers, Pop and Zooropa songs (had to say it).

This way the die-hards finally get what they want. And the band gets what they want, because U2.com memberships would go through the roof!

What say you?

Old 10-01-2009, 02:15 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:53 PM
Well, I'm not sure about having an only U2.com members gig, as I think they could broaden their horizons in that regard. In theory, your idea makes a lot of sense, but to me it just seems too good to be true.

On a similar note, I think it is at least a possibility in the future that U2 intersperse arena shows in between bigger stadium gigs, and I think that'd work to some extent...but I really can't imagine theater/club gigs in between stadium gigs. Either way, I think this is very unlike U2 in pretty much every way, and I doubt we'll ever see this happen.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:52 AM   #3
45:33

Local Time: 10:53 AM
i tell you all, i'm right, these all boil down to the same thing.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:09 AM   #4
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:53 PM
i don't know how feasible it'd be since anyone could get a ticket to the show (all you'd need to do is buy a u2.com membership). but it'd certainly be neat if they tried.

you know what else would be neat? if they played somewhere in alaska. no, i'm not taking the piss out of the thread, i'm serious. they've never played there and since they've played in hawaii three times now...
Old 10-01-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:53 PM
They should play a gig for only Interference members with over a couple thousand posts.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:50 AM   #6
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
They should play a gig for only Interference members with over a couple thousand posts.
Interferencers with over 100,000 posts get to design the setlist.

What's this you say, there's only one such Interferencer ..? Why, 'twas just an innocent suggestion!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-01-2009, 08:04 AM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 05:53 PM
Or maybe a gig for those who have been brought on stage over the years? They could even play a schoolhouse gig for the kiddies who have lapped stages with Bono since the Elevation Tour!!!
Old 10-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 08:53 PM
nah, not enough money in playing smaller shows. mcguine$$ would never allow that.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Interferencers with over 100,000 posts get to design the setlist.

What's this you say, there's only one such Interferencer ..? Why, 'twas just an innocent suggestion!
That can be changed.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

In all seriousness - I fully agree.

My ideal tour is a stadium tour with some surprise club gigs in some of the cities.

When they played Irving Plaza in NYC a few years back it was outrageous.

Pushing even further - let those club gigs be raw. Have the Upstaging rigs take all the crap to the next city, and let the band stay for a one off, random setlist, no lights, screens, neon mics - just a great rarity set. NO hits. B-sides, things they ahve not rehearsed in years. etc.

I would much rather see them screw up every song in a club than see a polished sparkling stadium gig where Bono does the same thing night in and night out.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:08 PM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizy View Post
Pushing even further - let those club gigs be raw. Have the Upstaging rigs take all the crap to the next city, and let the band stay for a one off, random setlist, no lights, screens, neon mics - just a great rarity set. NO hits. B-sides, things they ahve not rehearsed in years. etc.
Just the mere idea of it makes me giddy.

There are a lot of large bands who have done fan club gigs with great results. Blur did a B-sides only fanclub gig in a small venue 1998 which was a HUGE hit. I know they're not quite the caliber that U2 is, but still...
Old 10-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizy View Post
just a great rarity set. NO hits. B-sides, things they ahve not rehearsed in years. etc.

I would much rather see them screw up every song in a club than see a polished sparkling stadium gig where Bono does the same thing night in and night out.
You all know darn well that U2 would never play a setlist full of songs they haven't rehearsed in years. They sit down and rehearse songs over and over and over until they feel they're ready to play onstage.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #13
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleazer View Post
You all know darn well that U2 would never play a setlist full of songs they haven't rehearsed in years. They sit down and rehearse songs over and over and over until they feel they're ready to play onstage.
And Bono still forgets half the lyrics
Old 10-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:23 AM
REM did the 5 rehearsal shows in Dublin. Springsteen does solo theatre shows. It can be done, if the will is there
Old 10-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #15
Refugee

In between album cycles, I think this would work very well. Just take a couple of months, don't do a gig every night, take your time, go at your own pace and have fun. Play small clubs and theatres(Paradise Boston, House of Blues Boston, etc) and have a fan club lottery or make tickets available to fan club members in the area only, etc.

Of course, there would be logistical issues with the venue capacities versus the number of fan club members. However, I am sure some system, random or otherwise would work out in a reasonable equitable way if people who have alot more experience than us with this put some intelligent thought into it.

Even have the fans attending the show weigh in on some of the songs they would like to hear in advance, that way the band could get them ready.

I like this idea alot, and think that it is not as unfeasible as some would like to think.