A fitting tribute to Michael Jackson: MLK->Streets - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 08:58 PM
A fitting tribute to Michael Jackson: MLK->Streets

I know there's another thread about this for Gone but imo Gone isn't fitting and it's already (well live anyways) for someone else anyways.

Someone else mentioned that they wondered why Bono/U2 haven't said anything publicly yet. I sortof didn't really agree with the tone of it but I dunno, I'm starting to wonder why they've not said anything. The only thing I can come up with is that they are going to do something really big during the first show.

So it comes down to what song(s) should it happen during...and I think of the philanthropy Michael did not just for Africa but many charities he donated to, his inspiration to all musicians, U2 included, with doing We Are The World, the tragedy of alot of his life and definitely his death, and the hope that if there's somewhere better like heaven or whatever, that he's made it there..

..and the most fitting thing I can think of is a picture/video montage during MLK followed by sending him off for good with Streets. I just think it would be so fitting. A few here might be angered by the thought of that or think that's U2 blasphemy or whatever that but I do think he deserves it. Love him or hate him, he used his fame and fortune for many good things and tried to help alot of people, the more bizarre aspects of his time here notwithstanding..

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Old 06-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 11:58 AM
For me, the best tribute would be for them to play a song genuinely for MJ; i.e. a song that wasn't formerly rehearsed or considered for the show. One Tree Hill would be nice. All Bono needs to do is give a simple introduction, e.g. "this is for Michael", and then they play the song. No need to use the screens or anything like that and no need for one of Bono's long introductions.

All this talk of MLK is great except that seems very predictable. And I don't think Gone needs to be further turned into the 'dead people song'. It has already been used for Michael Hutchence. It would be ridiculous for them to make Gone the MJ 'moment' for this tour after having previously done the same for Michael Hutchence. This band doesn't need to be a touring wake.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:58 AM
My bet is maybe just a token snippet of something, or if there are any on stage comments from Bono, they will be fairly muted. I highly doubt they’ll go all out with song dedications, and doubt whatever it is will go beyond the first few nights – if past the first gig at all. Not sure they thought all that highly of Jackson. Bet if Bono speaks he’ll make a clear distinction between the person and his music/performances.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
Ghost of Love

Do you mean the person who just also happened to be the single most charitable pop musician in history? Yep, I can see Bono making a clear distinction there...

Meh...I'm not trying to be confrontational, your points are taken and I respect them as your opinion. I actually thought about this alot and it was what I came up with. I honestly feel he does deserve somewhat more of a moment than a simple 'this is for Michael'. I think he had a bigger impact on music, charity, and for all we know, U2, than we realize.

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Old 06-28-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Love for the music, perhaps anger towards the world/culture that created and killed him (cue HMTMKMKM perhaps – would be cool), but sorry, just can’t see Bono dishing out massive, unconditional MJ love. I don’t think you’ll get some sort of massive tribute, but I’m sure it will be addressed in some form. Maybe just a nod (eg snippet or clip or simple comments), maybe some larger conditional comments or commentary. But I don’t think he’ll get the same kind of honest, emotional treatment that others who have died while U2 are on tour have received.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:13 AM   #6
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
Love for the music, perhaps anger towards the world/culture that created and killed him (cue HMTMKMKM perhaps – would be cool), but sorry, just can’t see Bono dishing out massive, unconditional MJ love. I don’t think you’ll get some sort of massive tribute, but I’m sure it will be addressed in some form. Maybe just a nod (eg snippet or clip or simple comments), maybe some larger conditional comments or commentary. But I don’t think he’ll get the same kind of honest, emotional treatment that others who have died while U2 are on tour have received.
Remember what Bono said on ZooTV during the first Jackson scandal in '93... "Michael Jackson, if you're out there... I don't believe you're bad. Guilty before you've been given a chance..."
Old 06-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
Ghost of Love

There would be no reason for anything other than an emotionally honest tribute and I don't see him attaching conditions to it, the notion of conditions seems to run directly contrary to his stated strong belief in grace imo. Others he has paid tribute to have had their own set of oddities, some rather extreme.

I do agree about Bono expressing anger towards the world/culture that created and ultimately killed him. I don't think we realize what we set our idols up for when we make them our idols and I wish this would be talked about more. Maybe future more evolved societies will adopt different ways of rewarding the beautiful ones without turning them into monsters but that doesn't seem to be something that will come in the near future.

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Old 06-29-2009, 12:31 AM   #8
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 12:58 AM
I really hope to hear a MJ snippet or two at some point!
Old 06-29-2009, 02:09 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:58 PM
Which Michael Jackson song/snippet will Bono sing on opening night?

My money's on 'Man In The Mirror.' Thoughts? Will Bono even mention Michael Jackson from the stage?

Old 06-29-2009, 03:26 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:58 AM
Think of the chords of In a little while and then sing Man in the mirror to it. Goosebumpmoment number 1
Old 06-29-2009, 05:14 AM   #11
War Child

I'm listening to One in Honololu while I'm reading this and it strikes me what a fitting song that would be.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Someone else mentioned that they wondered why Bono/U2 haven't said anything publicly yet. I sortof didn't really agree with the tone of it but I dunno, I'm starting to wonder why they've not said anything. The only thing I can come up with is that they are going to do something really big during the first show.
Yeah, that was me

Sorry, I just was a little pissed because I felt Bono is commenting on everything and anything and that silence from him was strange.

On the other hand I came to the conclusion that they didn't want these events to overshadow the tour start which should be a joyous occassion. I'm pretty sure there will be tributes and dedications, maybe not on the large scale, because they obviously weren't big fans.

But I remember Bono saying something kind about Michael when they were in Africa in 2003, after MJ's arrest. I'm sure he's aware that a lot of people in the audience were MJ fans, too, and are sad about what happened, so I'm pretty sure he won't be disrespectful and say something controversial.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:58 PM
They seem to be setting Streets up to be their Desmond Tutu tribute, so this probably isn't likely.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

I hope he mentions him somewhere in the show.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: If the moonlight caught you crying on Killiney Bay oh sing your song let your song be sung
Local Time: 05:58 PM
I hope they mention him too, I am sure they will. I was thinking about how MJ was indirectly responsible for inspiring Bono and Geldoff. LIVE AID was born out of USA FOR AFRICA, therefore one could conclude that MJ inspired Bono's activism. haha. Stretching it? Maybe, but I think he was a big influence on Bono. Just specutlating don't flame me for that please...
Old 06-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #16
Babyface

Tonight at rehearsel they are playing Angel of Harlem snipped with Man in the Mirror....that's the way to do it :-)

Greetings from Copenhagen
Michael
Old 06-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #17
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannieco View Post
I hope they mention him too, I am sure they will. I was thinking about how MJ was indirectly responsible for inspiring Bono and Geldoff. LIVE AID was born out of USA FOR AFRICA, therefore one could conclude that MJ inspired Bono's activism. haha. Stretching it? Maybe, but I think he was a big influence on Bono. Just specutlating don't flame me for that please...
I don't think that's a stretch at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopenhagenTribe View Post
Tonight at rehearsel they are playing Angel of Harlem snipped with Man in the Mirror....that's the way to do it :-)

Michael
:headstorehearsalthread:

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Old 06-29-2009, 04:05 PM   #18
Ghost of Love

Ok so they rehearsed Angel with an MJ snippet..and then followed with IALW. I guess between Angel and IALW is where he'll pay his respects, if any.

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Old 06-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #19
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopenhagenTribe View Post

Michael
Just awesome.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 10:28 AM
They did a snippet of Man in the Mirror in Angel of Harlem during their the dress rehearsal yesterday.