A fitting tribute to Michael Jackson: MLK->Streets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gvox

Ghost of Love
I know there's another thread about this for Gone but imo Gone isn't fitting and it's already (well live anyways) for someone else anyways.

Someone else mentioned that they wondered why Bono/U2 haven't said anything publicly yet. I sortof didn't really agree with the tone of it but I dunno, I'm starting to wonder why they've not said anything. The only thing I can come up with is that they are going to do something really big during the first show.

So it comes down to what song(s) should it happen during...and I think of the philanthropy Michael did not just for Africa but many charities he donated to, his inspiration to all musicians, U2 included, with doing We Are The World, the tragedy of alot of his life and definitely his death, and the hope that if there's somewhere better like heaven or whatever, that he's made it there..

..and the most fitting thing I can think of is a picture/video montage during MLK followed by sending him off for good with Streets. I just think it would be so fitting. A few here might be angered by the thought of that or think that's U2 blasphemy or whatever that but I do think he deserves it. Love him or hate him, he used his fame and fortune for many good things and tried to help alot of people, the more bizarre aspects of his time here notwithstanding..

For me, the best tribute would be for them to play a song genuinely for MJ; i.e. a song that wasn't formerly rehearsed or considered for the show. One Tree Hill would be nice. All Bono needs to do is give a simple introduction, e.g. "this is for Michael", and then they play the song. No need to use the screens or anything like that and no need for one of Bono's long introductions.

All this talk of MLK is great except that seems very predictable. And I don't think Gone needs to be further turned into the 'dead people song'. It has already been used for Michael Hutchence. It would be ridiculous for them to make Gone the MJ 'moment' for this tour after having previously done the same for Michael Hutchence. This band doesn't need to be a touring wake.

My bet is maybe just a token snippet of something, or if there are any on stage comments from Bono, they will be fairly muted. I highly doubt they’ll go all out with song dedications, and doubt whatever it is will go beyond the first few nights – if past the first gig at all. Not sure they thought all that highly of Jackson. Bet if Bono speaks he’ll make a clear distinction between the person and his music/performances.

Do you mean the person who just also happened to be the single most charitable pop musician in history? Yep, I can see Bono making a clear distinction there...

Meh...I'm not trying to be confrontational, your points are taken and I respect them as your opinion. I actually thought about this alot and it was what I came up with. I honestly feel he does deserve somewhat more of a moment than a simple 'this is for Michael'. I think he had a bigger impact on music, charity, and for all we know, U2, than we realize.

Love for the music, perhaps anger towards the world/culture that created and killed him (cue HMTMKMKM perhaps – would be cool), but sorry, just can’t see Bono dishing out massive, unconditional MJ love. I don’t think you’ll get some sort of massive tribute, but I’m sure it will be addressed in some form. Maybe just a nod (eg snippet or clip or simple comments), maybe some larger conditional comments or commentary. But I don’t think he’ll get the same kind of honest, emotional treatment that others who have died while U2 are on tour have received.

Love for the music, perhaps anger towards the world/culture that created and killed him (cue HMTMKMKM perhaps – would be cool), but sorry, just can’t see Bono dishing out massive, unconditional MJ love. I don’t think you’ll get some sort of massive tribute, but I’m sure it will be addressed in some form. Maybe just a nod (eg snippet or clip or simple comments), maybe some larger conditional comments or commentary. But I don’t think he’ll get the same kind of honest, emotional treatment that others who have died while U2 are on tour have received.

Remember what Bono said on ZooTV during the first Jackson scandal in '93... "Michael Jackson, if you're out there... I don't believe you're bad. Guilty before you've been given a chance..."

There would be no reason for anything other than an emotionally honest tribute and I don't see him attaching conditions to it, the notion of conditions seems to run directly contrary to his stated strong belief in grace imo. Others he has paid tribute to have had their own set of oddities, some rather extreme.

I do agree about Bono expressing anger towards the world/culture that created and ultimately killed him. I don't think we realize what we set our idols up for when we make them our idols and I wish this would be talked about more. Maybe future more evolved societies will adopt different ways of rewarding the beautiful ones without turning them into monsters but that doesn't seem to be something that will come in the near future.

Think of the chords of In a little while and then sing Man in the mirror to it. Goosebumpmoment number 1

I'm listening to One in Honololu while I'm reading this and it strikes me what a fitting song that would be.

Someone else mentioned that they wondered why Bono/U2 haven't said anything publicly yet. I sortof didn't really agree with the tone of it but I dunno, I'm starting to wonder why they've not said anything. The only thing I can come up with is that they are going to do something really big during the first show.

Yeah, that was me :reject:

Sorry, I just was a little pissed because I felt Bono is commenting on everything and anything and that silence from him was strange.

On the other hand I came to the conclusion that they didn't want these events to overshadow the tour start which should be a joyous occassion. I'm pretty sure there will be tributes and dedications, maybe not on the large scale, because they obviously weren't big fans.

But I remember Bono saying something kind about Michael when they were in Africa in 2003, after MJ's arrest. I'm sure he's aware that a lot of people in the audience were MJ fans, too, and are sad about what happened, so I'm pretty sure he won't be disrespectful and say something controversial.

They seem to be setting Streets up to be their Desmond Tutu tribute, so this probably isn't likely.

I hope they mention him too, I am sure they will. I was thinking about how MJ was indirectly responsible for inspiring Bono and Geldoff. LIVE AID was born out of USA FOR AFRICA, therefore one could conclude that MJ inspired Bono's activism. haha. Stretching it? Maybe, but I think he was a big influence on Bono. Just specutlating don't flame me for that please...

I hope they mention him too, I am sure they will. I was thinking about how MJ was indirectly responsible for inspiring Bono and Geldoff. LIVE AID was born out of USA FOR AFRICA, therefore one could conclude that MJ inspired Bono's activism. haha. Stretching it? Maybe, but I think he was a big influence on Bono. Just specutlating don't flame me for that please...

I don't think that's a stretch at all. :up:

Tonight at rehearsel they are playing Angel of Harlem snipped with Man in the Mirror....that's the way to do it :)

Greetings from Copenhagen
Michael

:headstorehearsalthread:

;)

Bono will prove that Irish people can dance, by moonwalking the whole elipse of the claw.:wink:

Wow, not at all.

Keep "MLK" about the actual Dr. King and maybe throw another snippet in there if you're going to do it.

:up: I like the idea of just a musical nod, and Bono does love him some Quincy Jones.

The "Angel of Harlem" thing is totally legit, since it doesn't change the context of the song. He dropped "Never Tear Us Apart" for Michael Hutchence into "All I Want Is You" during Popmart and it was fantastic.

Band Aid inspired MJ, NOT the other way...

This is not a flame, but you are not correct.

I haven't posted in a long time, I just lurk. But I am deeply offended by this ... MJ was NOT responsible for inspiring Band Aid and Do They Know it's Christmas...it was the opposite. Do they Know It's Christmas was recorded in November 1984 (I know, I have the record, AND the vhs tape)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Are_the_World
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_They_Know_It's_Christmas?

Perhaps some posters here are too young to have been around then, but the Band Aid concept, the Christmas 1984 single and charity effort came at least 5 months BEFORE We Are the World, which was a simplistic, weak attempt, inspired by Sir Bob and Bono's efforts. Did MJ go to Africa to do relief work and teach, like Bono and Ali? I am very very irritated that someone would suggest Michael Jackson "inspired" Bono's charity work and life mission. Honestly.

I'm sorry, but MJ and his "charitable" efforts are nowhere NEAR as huge and significant as those of Bono.

As a longtime fan of U2, and not so much a fan of Michael Jackson (not since Jackson 5 days), I'm really appalled at the post I quoted. A post in a U2 forum! I guess there must be an "age thing" here. Michael Jackson was a choreographed performer, the forerunner of N Sync and 98 degrees and those types. I'm fine with Bono not mentioning him. Honoring Joey Ramone and Michael Hutchence -- friends of Bono's, are a completely different matter than a tribute to a ... well, dancer.

Bonette
fan since mullet days....

Last edited:
^

Cool down. It's your comments that's offending. I haven't seen anyone here offending Bono or Bob Geldof.

Yes, Band Aid was indeed recorded before We Are The World.
Band Aid was Bob Geldof's effort, NOT Bono's. Bono only became involved with Live 8. Geldof and Midge Ure were the people behind Live Aid. Geldof flew to the US to supervise the recording of We are the world. And excuse me, but I'm offended by the way you talk about We are the world and the artists contributing. It was the greater effort and for many many years the most successful single of all time. More and bigger stars took part and it raised more money for Africa. And yes, MJ was the most charitable star on this planet. He was in Africa l lot. Bono is doing it the political way, bless him. MJ had a different approach. He wasn't interested in politics. He did a lot for Africa. It's upsetting to read comments like yours. This is not a charity contest. They all were/are charitable people and I'm sure had a lot of respect for each other.

And saying MJ was only a "dancer" is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.
There are many people on this board who were MJ fans before they became U2 fans, and a lot of people who, despite loving U2, also enjoyed MJ's music for many years and are now very sad about his death. U2 isn't the only band on this planet and there are also other stars beside Bono.

MLK/Streets as a tribute to Michael would be amazing. :love:
The man was an amazing talent, the likes of which will probably never be seen again. :sad:

Tonight at rehearsel they are playing Angel of Harlem snipped with Man in the Mirror....that's the way to do it :)
Now that would be something. I remember as a child seeing the videos for Man In The Mirror and Streets back-to-back on MTV...I was 4 years old at the time, and it is my first U2 memory. I just remember seeing the shirtless guy in the funny glasses and liking it (Adam, of course). :D

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but MJ and his "charitable" efforts are nowhere NEAR as huge and significant as those of Bono.

As a longtime fan of U2, and not so much a fan of Michael Jackson (not since Jackson 5 days), I'm really appalled at the post I quoted. A post in a U2 forum! I guess there must be an "age thing" here. Michael Jackson was a choreographed performer, the forerunner of N Sync and 98 degrees and those types. I'm fine with Bono not mentioning him. Honoring Joey Ramone and Michael Hutchence -- friends of Bono's, are a completely different matter than a tribute to a ... well, dancer.

Great second post Bonette, except you're so wrong and your facts are completely off base.

Michael Jackson was a hugely charitable person. Far as I know, noted for being the most charitable pop musician in history. If Bono is in his league, he chooses to do it in private, and that's an equally admirable thing on Bono's part. Also, as LU pointed out, Bono takes a more grassroots/political activism approach.

As for Michael being a 'dancer' only, are you insane? He was performing long before Bono! :lmao:

Talk about a completely preposterous way to argue your point! You don't agree with paying him tribute, fine, state it on opinion, not your ridiculous grasp of music history :lol:

^

Cool down. It's your comments that's offending. I haven't seen anyone here offending Bono or Bob Geldof.

Yes, Band Aid was indeed recorded before We Are The World.
Band Aid was Bob Geldof's effort, NOT Bono's. Bono only became involved with Live 8. Geldof and Midge Ure were the people behind Live Aid. Geldof flew to the US to supervise the recording of We are the world. And excuse me, but I'm offended by the way you talk about We are the world and the artists contributing. It was the greater effort and for many many years the most successful single of all time. More and bigger stars took part and it raised more money for Africa. And yes, MJ was the most charitable star on this planet. He was in Africa l lot. Bono is doing it the political way, bless him. MJ had a different approach. He wasn't interested in politics. He did a lot for Africa. It's upsetting to read comments like yours. This is not a charity contest. They all were/are charitable people and I'm sure had a lot of respect for each other.

And saying MJ was only a "dancer" is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.
There are many people on this board who were MJ fans before they became U2 fans, and a lot of people who, despite loving U2, also enjoyed MJ's music for many years and are now very sad about his death. U2 isn't the only band on this planet and there are also other stars beside Bono.
Don't tell me to cool down, this is a U2 forum, not the Idolize and Beatify Michael Jackson forum. Not everyone thinks MJ hung the moon.

It is obvious how many MJ fans are here. But to set the record straight, YES, it was Geldof and Midge who got the Band Aid ball rolling, Bono participated. It led him to go to Africa himself, with Ali, where they worked for weeks and learned firsthand what it was like, leading to the ideas behind "Streets" in particular, and a whole life campaign to change the world. He rolled up his sleeves, no makeup, no wigs, no beaded socks, no entourage of chimps and little boys.

I'm glad some of you have MJ as some kind of Icon and I am sad a 50 year old man had a tortured life and early death. But to those of us who experienced the Beatles, and to some extent, Elvis -- I'm sorry -, Michael Jackson, in the grand scheme of things, is just another Icon, not THE Icon.

It's the usual "biggest thing ever" statement, when really -- it's not.

And I can see U2 inserting some MJ lyrics into a song, but certainly not a wailing tribute. Some are surprised by the lack of a statement?

I am glad there is no statement. People understand that MJ was a drug-addicted, pathetic figure and a parody of himself for many years. For this, we can all be sad. My thought was "at last he is out of his misery" and that I feel for his kids. But insiders know that of his drug addiction and his debts -- I am not surprised Bono or U2 would not touch that subject. It's not as if they were buddies, like U2 was with Ramone, Hutchence, etc.

I think this is a Gen X "big chill", but not all of us are that traumatized by it. I expected it, actually.

I just would hope that people stop revising history to make MJ the ONE who inspired the world. Please. Talented, yes. Able to get along in the real world or do anything with any substance? Debatable.

I'm sorry, but Michael Jackson may have had talent, but he's no Bono. Period. Let's not canonize him in death, but be realistic about his career, which died in what... 1995? earlier?

I just will not stand here and be told that MJ inspired Bono's Africa awareness and charity! WRONG!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom