2009/10 - The return of The Unforgettable Fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Vest

Refugee
If there was ever any hope of this spectacular song being played live at a U2 show it is now. Given that some of the songs on NLOTH have a similar feel I am here and now predicting the return of this wonderful classic to the setlist.
Hope I'm right. What do you think?

U2 managed to play this song pretty well in 1984 and back then it was one of the few songs that needed sequencers. So it would have been hard back then and in spite of that they did ok. Wonder how good it would sound today with their comfort with using sequencers and also Edge's added arsenal of guitar effects? Would love them to play it again.

A first encore comprising 3 or 4 UF songs, plucked from A Sort Of Homecoming, The Unforgettable Fire, Promenade (to debut!), Bad, Indian Summer Sky, MLK

Night 1

Indian Summer Sky
Promenade
Bad

Night 2

A Sort of Homecoming
The Unforgettable Fire
MLK

I adore Promenade. Dunno if it would work live.

Indian Summer Sky was pretty rubbish the few times they did play it during the UF tour.

MLK would only have meaning if it was being sung for someone. MLK himself? Maybe with images of him on the screen? A little revisionist for U2 perhaps. Who else could they sing MLK for?

Bad live is a total :drool:

The Unforgettable Fire is high atop my list of songs that I want to hear brought back to the live set. I think whether or not U2 will play it on this tour or on any other future tour depends on one thing and one thing only: Can Bono handle it on a nightly basis? It's one of the more vocally challenging songs in U2's catalog.

This is one of those oldies that is very likely to return. And I'm rooting for Ultra Violet as well.

U2 should just play The Unforgettable Fire (the album) followed by NLOTH and just walk off stage and I'd be happy :wink:

Of course the encore would be Twilight, Acrobat, Zooropa...

My opinion is that since they revisited Boy/October/War on the last tour, its Unforgettable Fire's turn this tour. I reckon we'll see A Sort of Homecoming, TUF, Bad, maybe MLK

I'm hoping for that to happen. Only some time ago I started appreciating this song, it's a great one. All the slow songs they have on the new album are very slow so they will need a more energetic slow song like TUF. I really hope that they bring it back and that they change it a bit, making it cooler.

This is probably the best chance it has had in these last two decades. I think there will be a ton of rarities that will be considered but you never know what will actually make it into the setlist. :up:

They rehearsed it for Elevation. So it had a shot back then. So they have thought about it fairly recently.

My prediction, it wont be done again live. I think its a great song but I dont think it is one of their better live songs. Bono struggled with the main chorus live even back in the 80's. By the same token I certainly wont be complaining if they decided to play it.

Would love to see this, but I highly doubt we will.

That is one downside to this being a stadium tour. They need to appeal to a very general audience of which the vast majority will not be familiar with songs like the Unforgettable Fire. Plus, they will only play 1-2 nights per city so there will be little need to vary the setlist from their perspective. With a technologically sophisticated production that will undoubtedly be fairly choreographed, I suspect that nighly variation will be quite limited.

But I will still greatly enjoy the new stuff and the usual greatest hits, and it is just fantastic to see these guys in start-up mode once again.

With a technologically sophisticated production that will undoubtedly be fairly choreographed, I suspect that nighly variation will be quite limited.

Choreographed doesn't need to mean static setlists. I always find that a bollocks argument. It's just U2 being so anal about being perfect.

Shame we aren't going to see as many 3rd nights on this tour :sad:

What a great song! Fingers crossed it finds its way into the KTF (because we can never have too many acronyms) setlist.

and what about Wire! I think the setlist should have, UF,SoH,Pride,MLK and an occasional Wire with just 2 Joshua Tree Songs!

The Unforgettable Fire being one of U2's masterpieces should return in the set; This album title track has not been performed for 20 years now, has been neglected for four huge consecutive tours and and has not been performed on special occasions either. It does fit perfectly with the songs and topics on NLOTH and it will be a highlight for Bono to perform with his new found voice ...:wave:

I think its a great song but I dont think it is one of their better live songs. Bono struggled with the main chorus live even back in the 80's. By the same token I certainly wont be complaining if they decided to play it.
yeah, Unforgettable Fire is in my top 3 favourite albums, but I think that except for Bad (well, and maybe Wire) the songs weren't as good live as on the album

I think TUF songs are a good candidate with Bad and Pride still in the rotation ofcourse to take the place of the Boy/October/War rotation last tour, but I honestly think we're going to have a few POP reappear (Please, Gone, etc.) bc they've been talking about how this is how they wanted to do POP. It will be interesting bc what do you take away from the standard JT, AB songs you know they have to play. WTSHNN is guaranteed, ONE, BDAY, atleast 6 new ones, can't we just have a 4 hour show where they play some of Zooropa, Pop, etc.!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom