2009/10 - The return of The Unforgettable Fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Unforgettable Fire

Is the only reason that they've included The Unforgettable Fire in the setlist because they've got a remastered version of the album planned for October?

Or am I being too cynical?

Who knows and who cares?
They've included it in their setlist and it sounds amazing! :up:

it's a stretch to presume so because if they were going to whore the unforgettable fire remaster they'd have more obvious tracks i would have figured.

who cares why, it's awesome. if that's the reason for them to do it, rock the fuck on! if it isn't, rock the fuck on anyway.

I'm really happy this song is being played at shows again. It's always been among my favorite U2 songs and was a highlight of the Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree tours. Really loved the MLK > Unforgettable Fire > Exit sequence on Joshua Tree tour!

The distortion sounded great. This one is going to stay and get better and better. I could see Unknown Caller and Boots getting dropped and Breath being moved to the middle.

Promenade would be great.

Is the only reason that they've included The Unforgettable Fire in the setlist because they've got a remastered version of the album planned for October?

If that will keep it in the setlist through October, then that post is hardly cynical!

It's awesome that they've brought this song back, but has anyone else noticed how Bono has just sang 'stay now' over and over again during the second half of the song for the first two performances instead of the original lyrics?

Put simply, he sings 'stay now' instead of the bolded lyrics. Is this by design or did he just forget the lyrics?

Walk on by
Walk on through
So sad to besiege your love so head on
Stay this time
Stay tonight in a lie
I'm only asking but I
I think you know
Come on, take me away
Come on, take me away
Come on, take me home
Home again

And if the mountain should crumble
Or disappear into the sea
Not a tear, no not I

Stay in this time
Stay tonight in a lie
Ever after, this love in time
And if you save your love
Save it all

Don't push me too far
Don't push me too far
Tonight
Tonight
Tonight

No, you could be somewhat right...not that I think that it matters but they are playing the song because it's time for it again. It has almost zero to do with any supposed connection to NLOTH songs, there is no glaring connection other than the fact that Being Boring sounds like part of an incomplete Unforgettable Fire (song) outtake.

And I don't see Magnificent as in any way related to ASOH, not even close.

It's awesome that they've brought this song back, but has anyone else noticed how Bono has just sang 'stay now' over and over again during the second half of the song for the first two performances instead of the original lyrics?

Put simply, he sings 'stay now' instead of the bolded lyrics. Is this by design or did he just forget the lyrics?

Walk on by
Walk on through
Stay this time
Stay tonight in a lie
I'm only asking but I
I think you know
Come on, take me away
Come on, take me away
Come on, take me home
Home again

Not a tear, no not I

Stay in this time
Stay tonight in a lie
Save it all

Don't push me too far
Don't push me too far
Tonight
Tonight
Tonight

You mean he skipped all those bolded lyrics for "stay now"? I now know what my sign is going to read: the damn lyrics! :angry:

You can hear a harkening back to TUF in the production and playing on the Lanois/Eno produced NLOTH tracks, and the band mentioned their reverence for that album in connection with NLOTH, I hear it and I've read the quotes, and so far we've seen two deep cuts from that album show up, I don't think its a coincidence.

ASOH ---> Magnificent is absolutely begging to happen on this tour. How killer would that be?

If I wanted to I could draw far more similarities to Achtung Baby and in alot of respects Joshua Tree, frankly, both albums also produced by Lanois/Eno.

Btw...what 2 deep cuts are we referring to? UF isn't a deep cut to these ears.

I'm not disputing whether those two songs would segue nicely into each other, but that's not really what was said, is it?

Walk on by
Walk on through
Stay this time
Stay tonight in a lie
I'm only asking but I
I think you know
Come on, take me away
Come on, take me away
Come on, take me home
Home again

Not a tear, no not I

Stay in this time
Stay tonight in a lie
Save it all

Don't push me too far
Don't push me too far
Tonight
Tonight
Tonight

I noticed that and I'm missing it. Maybe it's difficult for him to go right from falsetto part "stay tonight" straight into "in a lie" in full voice

"And if the mountain should crumble
Not a tear, no not I ..."

Excellent song- and Great lyrical reference by Bono in the TUF lyrics to Psalm 46,

"Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea."

Bono is in good company-this phrase was also used by Shakespeare in King Lear (3.1.5-6)

I noticed that and I'm missing it. Maybe it's difficult for him to go right from falsetto part "stay tonight" straight into "in a lie" in full voice

Sadly, that was the highlight of the vocal...

Not complaining though - I'm just glad they are playing it and overall Bono is in top form on it...

You can hear a harkening back to TUF in the production and playing on the Lanois/Eno produced NLOTH tracks, and the band mentioned their reverence for that album in connection with NLOTH, I hear it and I've read the quotes, and so far we've seen two deep cuts from that album show up, I don't think its a coincidence.

ASOH ---> Magnificent is absolutely begging to happen on this tour. How killer would that be?

I'm not sure MLK or UF (title track) are deep cuts but I appreciate the thought.

Wire or ASOH or (especially) Promenade would be mind blowing!

"Sort of Homecoming" was rehearsed as a one off for the first SLANE show back in 2001(dvd is from second show). I've heard several reports that VERY few audience members recognized the song. it was played a couple months later in the US when a fan got onstage under the pretense of playing "People Get Ready" on acoustic and starting playing SOH on guitar and the band joined in.

He sang it during the second Milan show. His voice was amazing, much better than on the Paris dvd:drool:

"Sort of Homecoming" was rehearsed as a one off for the first SLANE show back in 2001(dvd is from second show). I've heard several reports that VERY few audience members recognized the song.

Very few audience members in Ireland recognized ASOH? Absolutely do not believe a word of that. It's a standout on Wide Awake in America. Everyone knows it.

Very few audience members in Ireland recognized ASOH? Absolutely do not believe a word of that. It's a standout on Wide Awake in America. Everyone knows it.

That was a soundcheck performance...they added the audience sound in later ...

As far as prior songs, Unforgettable Fire is a definate highlight for this tour. As well as Ultraviolet. I'm just surprised it took this long for them to bring back Unf. Fire. Its on the greatest hits and they had rehearsed it previously for the Elevation tour.

Kudos to the band for dropping Bullet and playing this and Ultraviolet. I think a few tweaks the setlist could be one of their better ones. Unfortunately I just don't think its there yet. Hopefully some morphing of the setlist happens (as it always has on prior tours) over the next couple of weeks and Unf. Fire and Ultraviolet are not casualties of the morphing.

Back
Top Bottom