wouldnt want this seat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's be honest, how much do you miss? Larry? You can see him on a screen.

I paid more last year for behind the stage seats missed Adam for the majority of the show plus a big portion of the light show and it was still a great gig.

This one you pay less, and only miss the dude that never smiles.

That seat was not purchased for $30 dollars. It was purchased at least for 30 EURO'S. At the current exchange rate that is about 45 DOLLARS not including any service charges. The lowest price seat in Barcelona is 30 Euro which is about 45 dollars. But there are some seats in the upper level at Barcelona that were sold at the 85 Euro price or $120 dollars.

Ok 30 euros might be closer to $45 but that is nit-picking a little. It is the cheapest seat in the venue.

For people commenting on sightlines you should see what Live Nation pulled for Madonna at Wembley last year. £150 seats where the occupiers of said seats could only see anything when she was on the catwalk - not even a video screen - with the entire main stage blocked by some pointless drapes on the sides. That is before mentioning the crap sound kit they used that left chunks of the stadium hearing am indistinguishable muffled mess. LN do not care about the people buying the tickets and the only way any consideration was taken for the fans on this tour was courtesy of the band. The claw will be in the way of some seats but no different to the standard stadium set-up where speaker stacks will get in the way.

As far as I could see they didn't sell tickets in the lower tier below the underhang of the 2nd tier. They also didn't sell some of the front rows of the lower tier at either end of the stadium.

Let's be honest, how much do you miss? Larry? You can see him on a screen.

I paid more last year for behind the stage seats missed Adam for the majority of the show plus a big portion of the light show and it was still a great gig.

This one you pay less, and only miss the dude that never smiles.

larry did walk around with the bongo's :D

Well, look outside your window and look at a tree, or a lightpole that's far away and tilt your head a little bit and look at the tree or lightpole and see how much behind it becomes visible. Not much really.

I agree that there will be an area behind the leg of the claw that some people will miss. I'm just saying 99.9% of the show will still be visible.

If Larry, Adam, Bono & Edge all lined up behind the claw leg for the entire show, or there was no screen visible, or there was no light show or amplified sound... then, I'd be a little pissed.

I heard they're doing that at pudgie's show...

Even if they did, I would be fine.

I only purchased seats for my friends and myself that I knew would be unobstructed by:

- one of the 4 giant box trusses that make up the claw

- one of the 2 delay towers

- or the two-story(?) sound & video mixing structure directly opposite the stage

I did pretty well. Not everyone here was as fortunate. :sad:

- one of the 2 delay towers

- or the two-story(?) sound & video mixing structure directly opposite the stage

Of course you didn't, these seats were blocked off. We showed you this at least a dozen times.

Two story sound structure? Man you sense of scale and perspective is so off, no wonder you haven't quite grasped this set up yet.

Well I hope you enjoy your show, but I bet you wish you didn't sell your others and were going to another show once you realize your sence of scale was off...:shrug:

I'm just happy to be going though!
thank you! i wish all concertgoers had such an attitude. :up:

*for people with no peripheral vision and ability to turn their head
exactly. as a woman of average height, i can't tell you how many times i've been to a concert and had a decent enough seat, none of the stage was obstructed. however, because it always goes that way, i got some super tall guy in front of me or something which meant i had to :shocked: move an inch or two or turn my head to keep seeing the stage.

Of course you didn't, these seats were blocked off. We showed you this at least a dozen times.

Two story sound structure? Man you sense of scale and perspective is so off, no wonder you haven't quite grasped this set up yet.

Well I hope you enjoy your show, but I bet you wish you didn't sell your others and were going to another show once you realize your sence of scale was off...:shrug:

Not true.

For instance, at Sam Boyd, the structure is tall enough that some of the seats in sections 219 and 220 will likely have obstructed views to the main stage and catwalk.

1747097.bin

lg_lasvegas.jpg

Not true.

For instance, at Sam Boyd, the structure is tall enough that some of the seats in sections 219 and 220 will likely have obstructed views to the main stage and catwalk.

1747097.bin

lg_lasvegas.jpg

I'm sorry, but your sense of perspective is really off, there is no way that small structure is going to obstruct anything in the second deck. You're just reaching for a reason to bitch again...

I'm sorry, but your sense of perspective is really off, there is no way that small structure is going to obstruct anything in the second deck. You're just reaching for a reason to bitch again...

I agree that second deck seats are likely to be safe; however, some of the venues on the North American tour have seats in the lower tier that have been sold behind the mixing structure.

In most venues, all of the lower level seating was blocked off behind the mixing structure. In fact, at Giants Stadium, they blocked off both the lower level and the mezzanine level:

lg_newyork.jpg

But this was not done everywhere.

Instead of ignoring the evidence, you need to look at the height at the structure in relation to the height of the stage and the catwalk.

1747097.bin

Simple geometry would suggest that anyone sitting behind the structure in a single-tiered bowl (like Sam Boyd) could be in for a difficult night.

In most venues, all of the lower level seating was blocked off behind the mixing structure. In fact, at Giants Stadium, they blocked off both the lower level and the mezzanine level:
This would be due to the fact that at Giants Stadium the lower and Mezzanine level are at lower angles then a lot of stadiums.

But this was not done everywhere.
This fact alone shows me that they actually caluated these angles and didn't apply one formula for every stadium. This FACT speaks volumes, thank you for pointing it out.

Instead of ignoring the evidence, you need to look at the height at the structure in relation to the height of the stage and the catwalk.

Simple geometry would suggest that anyone sitting behind the structure in a single-tiered bowl (like Sam Boyd) could be in for a difficult night.
Honestly you are the last person that should be telling people to not "ignore the evidence" *cough the screen cough* I haven't ignored anything, you thought the structure is two stories, it's not even close. Sam Boyd may be "single tier" but it's a constant angle, and given the fact that they varied their gray area from stadium to stadium they were given these angles ahead of time, a sound room isn't new to concerts. So your geometry theory is true, but you don't have all the facts.

Tone down your responses, BVS.

In regards to Sam Boyd, there is little question that some of seats in sections 219 and 220 (which have not been grayed-out in the official seating charts) will have views obstructed by the mixing structure. The risers at Sam Boyd are not steep enough to overcome the height of the structure as seen in the photos from Barcelona.

Furthermore, sections 219 and 220 at Sam Boyd are not higher than the blocked off mezzanine section 221 at Giants Stadium, which is cantilevered above the lower level (section 121). In fact, sections 219 and 220 at Sam Boyd appear to be comparatively lower than section 221 at Giants Stadium.

The only saving grace is that the band has hopefully set aside some seating for people with obstructed views. I was not willing to take that risk when I purchased my tickets for that show.

In regards to Sam Boyd, there is little question that some of seats in sections 219 and 220 (which have not been grayed-out in the official seating charts) will have views obstructed by the mixing structure.

You want me to "tone down" my responses but you act as if you know better than U2, promoters, designers and everyone here by saying there's "little question"? Nice...

The whole point of having the screens is to make up for this kind of thing, so you still would be able to see them as long as it wasn't a song with its own graphic display (like CoBL for example where it has the whole Tokyo car journey video). So even though you can't always see the band on the stage itself if they walk in front of a leg, you can still see them on the big screen.

Can someone explain though - How does Larry move? Someone mentioned that he does move around but I can't see how he'd do that with his drumkit???

Also, this will sound very unpopular, but... does ANYONE agree that a fully open stage might be a good idea? The Claw is only necessary because of the light boards and the massive video screen. Supposing they had the lights around the edges on the floor of the stage, pointing up at the band, and instead of the screens on the top, they could attach them to the ends of the upper stands (where they normally have the screens during football matches)

That way there would literally be NO stack whatsoever on the stage, it would just be a very big, circular flat platform with nothing above it at all? Then there'd be no need for any legs or pillars on the stage - you'd actually have a totally unobstructed view then.

Thoughts?

Can someone explain though - How does Larry move? Someone mentioned that he does move around but I can't see how he'd do that with his drumkit???
The whole drum riser rotates...
Also, this will sound very unpopular, but... does ANYONE agree that a fully open stage might be a good idea? The Claw is only necessary because of the light boards and the massive video screen. Supposing they had the lights around the edges on the floor of the stage, pointing up at the band, and instead of the screens on the top, they could attach them to the ends of the upper stands (where they normally have the screens during football matches)

That way there would literally be NO stack whatsoever on the stage, it would just be a very big, circular flat platform with nothing above it at all? Then there'd be no need for any legs or pillars on the stage - you'd actually have a totally unobstructed view then.

Thoughts?

Couple of things... Where would the speakers go? Then the focus would be divided between two entirely different locations, an absolute 'no' for concerts. Plus they would have to find a way "to attach" to every different stadium... not gonna happen.

U2 in Barcelona - 360º World Tour on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

there. well above the roof of the claw and it looks pretty damn fine to me.

those are postcard-pretty pictures.

as far as the topic itself goes. if you're at the point where you get seats behind the stage (either because of the price or it's because everything else is sold), aren't you just glad to be in the building? as someone mentioned earlier, when you're that far back or behind the stage you are just focusing on the screen anyway.

-dan

Does anyone think it'd be even better for visibility if they ditched the claw canopy?

Just looking at this photo here:
EDIT: ARGH... Does anyone know how to scale images down on this forum?

http://www.u2ol.net/u2/u2_claw_stage_barcelona.jpg

Does anyone think if they removed the big white canopy with the orange circles on it, they'd make visibility even better? The canopies are so wide that if you were unlucky enough to be sitting right behind one of them, you wouldn't be able to see the screen at all... Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG, I can't believe this argument continues. :huh:

Have fun. :doh:

Please keep all of the visibility issues in one thread. Thanks.

Last edited:
Does anyone think if they removed the big white canopy with the orange circles on it, they'd make visibility even better? The canopies are so wide that if you were unlucky enough to be sitting right behind one of them, you wouldn't be able to see the screen at all... Thoughts?

Have you seen any pics from the first two shows? Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom