would you trade.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gman

New Yorker
Would you rather u2 dropped the fancy stages in favour of playing more songs at gigs? I cant think of any other reason, other than the big production involved, stopping them from playing longer than the bog standard 2 hrs.
I would happily trade the OTT stages in favour of more songs.

No. U2 never play for more than 2 hours. In fact, they play longer now than during the Vertigo tour. A U2 concert without big stage and effects wouldn't be a U2 concert. I'm actually totally fine with what they're playing and think it's a great set. The stage is incredible when you see it in person. And I don't think it's the technology that keeps them from playing longer. U2 come on stage pretty late because of the daylight and there are curfews they have to respect. They cannot play until midnight. It's fine the way it is.

A U2 concert without big stage and effects wouldn't be a U2 concert.
So your there for the spectacle as much as the music then?

As a matter of interest, my two fave u2 tours ever were The Joshua Tree Tour and Elevation Tour, which were BOTH just about the music. Didnt need all the window dressing.
I would happily wave goodbye to the Claw in favour of an extra 5 songs ANYDAY (which would only equate to about an extra 20 mins on stage!)

For me, a U2 concert is always attached to a great live show with great stage and effects. It's as much about the show as it is about music. Actually I feel the 360 tour is much more about the music than Zoo TV or Pop Mart. For me, the current stage setup is about communicating with the audience, about being in the middle of the audience, about being close to the audience. I had the time of my life at the shows I've seen, not only because of the music, but also because of the atmsophere and the effects which are really amazing. I wouldn't want to trade that experience for anything else. And I don't care about a couple of songs more, because I'm always pretty exhaused after the concert, I don't feel it's too short.

In theory, I'm all about the music, the staging doesn't impress me that much. Except when it's U2 and they do something groundbreaking and their staging is omgsocool!!11! And it really does impress me, I can't wait to see the claw in person, the pictures are so beautiful. Awe-inspiring, really.

But if forced to pick, I'd probably be happier with a longer show, especially if it took place in an arena, with more intimacy.

I couldn't care less if they played on a few wooden crates. I listen to U2 for songs. If I want some visual spectacular, I'll go to the New Year's fireworks or whatever.

I couldn't care less if they played on a few wooden crates. I listen to U2 for songs. If I want some visual spectacular, I'll go to the New Year's fireworks or whatever.

Axver is on the money!!:applaud: I'm from the same school of thought.

It's different for me, because I'm a visual person and I'm really enjoying the claw and the beautiful light effects. I'm like a child in that respect. It's just a total WOW experience for me. It's not like I forget the music, but I want and need both and U2 is the best band to give me/us both, so I'm very happy with the current show. When I'm at a concert, I'm usually overwhelmed because there is so much going on, so much to see. Usually, I hear all the little musical details only when I listen to the bootleg afterwards. It's not that I don't listen to what they're playing, it's just that I'm a totally visual person and I see better than I listen. And I admit that I can get very bored at concerts when there's nothing interesting going on for me to see.

It's different for me, because I'm a visual person and I'm really enjoying the claw and the beautiful light effects. I'm like a child in that respect. It's just a total WOW experience for me. It's not like I forget the music, but I want and need both and U2 is the best band to give me/us both, so I'm very happy with the current show. When I'm at a concert, I'm usually overwhelmed because there is so much going on, so much to see. Usually, I hear all the little musical details only when I listen to the bootleg afterwards. It's not that I don't listen to what they're playing, it's just that I'm a totally visual person and I see better than I listen. And I admit that I can get very bored at concerts when there's nothing interesting going on for me to see.

Im the total polar opposite. I shut off to all the window dressing and become tunnel visioned on the music. and am gald, coz if i got distracted (never the most difficult thing to do for me normally) I would feel robbed of the reason i was there in the first place.
I love seeing beautiful sights etc, but when am at a gig, its all about the music baby!

I'm sorry I can't concentrate on the music, but it's hard for me to turn my eyes away from Bono's ass.

Seing Bono's fine behind in person is actually the only thing I'm interested in when I'm going to a U2 show. I didn't even notice that there are three other guys on stage. Oh well, guess I'll have to focus a little more on the rest of the band next time. I'm sure they also have interesting body parts.

I'm enjoying both the visuals and the music. It's not surprising my favourite shows are the 90s, rather than the simple 80s and 00's(this tour excluded).

I wouldn't trade the Claw for more songs. The show is good as it is now with respects to length, and the whole stage is just awesome. The bridges are a great addition, great crowd interaction, the circle bstage ring is brilliant to get more fans close to the band and the whole screen construction is perfect for people in the seats!

The shows aren't anywhere near as over-the-top as Zoo TV and Popmart... if you close to the stage, the claw basically disappears for most of the show. In seats it is good to have the claw/screen because the show would be very remote indeed otherwise. Try to imagine JUST the central stage in somewhere like Camp Nou and you see this is clear.

The claw is incredible, and while it's all about the music obviously the live aspect to it all is still important. If I was going just to hear the music, I'd listen to the gig on the radio. That's what the albums are for!

Besides I actually think the 2 hours is indeed long enough, I think you'd get pretty tired after shotuing your heart out for 2 hours... Only thing I'd have preferred in Dublin would be if they didn't have the curfew - should have started at 10 and ended at midnight so it'd be dark for the whole show.

I cant think of any other reason, other than the big production involved, stopping them from playing longer than the bog standard 2 hrs.

How and why do you think the stage determines the length of show?:huh:

The length of show comes down purely to the fact that any longer of a show and Bono's blowing out his voice, and I'm pretty sure Larry would get exhuasted. Have you ever tried singing for over 2 hours straight? Even for the most in shape it's brutal. I've noticed how PJ as they get older get closer to the 2 hour show.

I just feel that with all the peripheral entertainment on offer, there is less onus on the music

But that's not what you stated. You stated the stage somehow limited the amount of songs. Your whole premise is that you get rid of the stage and U2 could play longer. It's simple not true.

Would you rather u2 dropped the fancy stages in favour of playing more songs at gigs? I cant think of any other reason, other than the big production involved, stopping them from playing longer than the bog standard 2 hrs.
I would happily trade the OTT stages in favour of more songs.

^Normally, I would have credited the individual with the ability to read between the lines and realise that i reffer to the non music side of the production and not the actual structure itself. But realising its you BVS...and your penchant to snipe and nit pick etc, am prepared for such a response

^Normally, I would have credited the individual with the ability to read between the lines and realise that i reffer to the non music side of the production and not the actual structure itself. But realising its you BVS...and your penchant to snipe and nit pick etc, am prepared for such a response

Try to refrain from going into prick mode as you are often inclined to do.

You said:

I cant think of any other reason, other than the big production involved, stopping them from playing longer than the bog standard 2 hrs.

I want you to explain how there is anything between the lines that suggests I didn't get your main premise. Read what I quoted and explain to me how the stage/PRODUCTION limit time.

BVS...i challenge you to provide proof of me ever "going into prick mode" as I am "often inclined to" as you put it. I dont recall ever been accused of that, until now! You often make such accusations on here, and have done so by PM, yet when asked to provide proof, you never can.
I seem to recall several people getting on your case on these forums, for basically being an award winning twat, as i was reading the thread just yesterday! And i know there are a number of others who have difficulty with your constnat need to try and belittle peoples posts on the forums.
In the 8 or so years i have been on this site...i have felt the need to challenge only ONE person for stalkerish behaviour. And that is you BVS!
i think you may be suffering from the condition termed as transference, where an individual tries to accuse others of that which they themselves are guilty of!
Get yourself a life!

Stop it guys.

gman, you stated Claw vs. playing longer, not Claw vs. no effects at all, that's true.

Right now, the topic is turning into something that could easily be merged into that unholy "Too much claw, not enough body" (whatever that means) thread.

Gman, I asked you a simple question. No personal attacks whatsoever and you came back with "But realising its you BVS", you don't need any further proof than this thread to see you went personal first.

Now, can we go back to the question, or are you going to use your personal issues with me as an excuse not to answer it?

You often make such accusations on here, and have done so by PM, yet when asked to provide proof,

Do not try and rewrite history YOU were the first to attack me on PM, I have never contacted you on PM before, and all I did was respond to your attacks.

Now can we drop your soap opera issues?

Can you guys please stop bickering? It's absolutely no addition to the thread and can only end in even more drama.

Agree to disagree ffs.

The claw is incredible, and while it's all about the music obviously the live aspect to it all is still important. If I was going just to hear the music, I'd listen to the gig on the radio. That's what the albums are for!

Besides I actually think the 2 hours is indeed long enough, I think you'd get pretty tired after shotuing your heart out for 2 hours... Only thing I'd have preferred in Dublin would be if they didn't have the curfew - should have started at 10 and ended at midnight so it'd be dark for the whole show.

agreed- alot of the visual impact of the Claw is lost during daylight- unfortunately Croke is in a residential area and that means a strict 11pm curfew- same will apply for Wembley- but that's partly due to the crapulence of the public transport system as it's not such a residential area

we saw the show in Barcelona and it started at 10pm when it was pretty much dark and the Claw was immense

in general I think 2 hours is long enough for a concert- it's tough to sustain the energy levels for longer than that- I've generally been wiped out by the time we get to Pride or Streets

agreed- alot of the visual impact of the Claw is lost during daylight- unfortunately Croke is in a residential area and that means a strict 11pm curfew- same will apply for Wembley- but that's partly due to the crapulence of the public transport system as it's not such a residential area

we saw the show in Barcelona and it started at 10pm when it was pretty much dark and the Claw was immense

in general I think 2 hours is long enough for a concert- it's tough to sustain the energy levels for longer than that- I've generally been wiped out by the time we get to Pride or Streets

Yeah, my energy levels in GA start to wane at Pride/Walk On.

I would gladly give up the big show stuff to get a longer show.

Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree tours were amazing with very little bells and whistles!

BVS...i challenge you to provide proof of me ever "going into prick mode" as I am "often inclined to" as you put it. I dont recall ever been accused of that, until now! You often make such accusations on here, and have done so by PM, yet when asked to provide proof, you never can.
I seem to recall several people getting on your case on these forums, for basically being an award winning twat, as i was reading the thread just yesterday! And i know there are a number of others who have difficulty with your constnat need to try and belittle peoples posts on the forums.
In the 8 or so years i have been on this site...i have felt the need to challenge only ONE person for stalkerish behaviour. And that is you BVS!
i think you may be suffering from the condition termed as transference, where an individual tries to accuse others of that which they themselves are guilty of!
Get yourself a life!

Check your PM's.

I would gladly give up the big show stuff to get a longer show.

Well who wouldn't? But that's not exactly the premise of the question. The OP somehow thought that the bigger production limited the length of the show, but that's not the case.

When has U2 ever really consistantly played longer than 2 hours?

There are very few acts that do.

Even in the best shape someone who sings like Bono will have a hard time doing that night after night, it's a very difficult feat when you start approaching 2 1/5 to 3 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom