Would stadiums in the USA have worked with Vertigo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
I wonder, since the band is playing stadiums under the 360 tour, and they've had much success doing it. Do you think they could have done stadium tours during Vertigo or would it have been too early?

They did arenas with Elevation, after the reinvention/slump of POP... but was Vertigo just playing it safe?

If I remember right from this forum - I never read the book - apparently in U2 by U2 they regretted not doing stadiums on the 2nd US leg.

I think it would have definitely worked, especially with rockers such as Electric Co, Gloria, Zoo Station and The Fly

I think they wanted to play it safe, remember the 2nd leg in the US/Canada was in Fall and Winter, so it made sense to remain indoors.

I'm actually kind of glad they didn't. While I had a great time seeing them in a stadium setting for the first time on this tour, I much prefer the more intimate feel of the arena shows. Plus, the sound was better.

Well since the rest of the world has to suffer the pain of stadiums, and for the past 3 tours at least, I fail to see how stadiums would not have worked in the US :shrug:

Maybe if the Vertigo Tour had been in stadiums in the second US American leg, poor US Americans would have been spared that acoustic encore.

i never had a problem with the sound in the two stadium shows i saw in 2006.

nor did i in chicago, except for one mix related thing which would have been a problem in a club, not to mention a stadium.

What do you mean by "too early"? They've done stadiums in the USA on many tours past.

I'm glad they didn't, but my personal preference is for arena shows. If they had done stadiums, I'm sure I still would have gone. However I love the 360 in the stadium, I could not imagine how this show would have the full effect in an arena. Vertigo was different though, much weaker as far as all the lights and stage gear and such, so it definitely would have paled in comparison. Actually I did see the show in Hawaii and I guess that was a "stadium" show. I enjoyed both Chicago 360 shows more, but the good arena shows I saw on Vertigo are comparable to the 360 shows I've seen as far as my enjoyment.

One of the reasons I love arenas is because it means more shows.

One issue with arena shows is that a leg of fifty shows really wears Bono out nowadays... there are nights when Bono's voice is somewhat scratchy now, but it has generally been exceptionally strong this tour.

When suddenly they had to rearrange the first leg because of the ticket issue/sian getting sick, they had to pull shows out of a lot of venues that they were going to play, and they fulfilled those obligations in the fall. Rather than having a half stadium and half arena tour, they just decided to keep adding arenas (and it's an interesting point economically - 5 nights at MSG could have easily been 2 nights at Giants).

They really should have made Vertigo's third leg be like Joshua Tree's third leg.

I also really do not understand the "too early" question.

I saw the Joshua Tree tour at Giants Stadium in 1987 and it was probably the best show I have ever seen (and I have seen every tour since then...)

So glad they didn't. Arena shows are much better than stadiums.

Maybe if the Vertigo Tour had been in stadiums in the second US American leg, poor US Americans would have been spared that acoustic encore.

The First Time was one of the highlights of the Vertigo tour for me. It was much better than ABOY the night before in the encore non acoustic encore.

So glad they didn't. Arena shows are much better than stadiums.

The First Time was one of the highlights of the Vertigo tour for me. It was much better than ABOY the night before in the encore non acoustic encore.

ABOY should be illegal... but is The First Time/Stuck better than The Fly/UTEOTW/Mysty Ways (with slide solo)?

I saw 8 vertigo shows, so getting to see one with First Time was certainly worth it to me. The night i saw the acoustic set, the first encore was UTTEOTW, Mysterious Ways, and WOWOY. The 2nd one was acoustic and then they ended with Bad, so yes it was better than the night before.

They weren't replacing the zootv encore with the acoustic one. the acoustic one was replacing aboy & yahweh, and then you usually got bad instead of 40. i was happy to see both, but the first time was a highlight.

I could do without just about anything they do acoustic, but First Time was excellent.

I kinda agree...it was cool to hear Fast Cars and The First Time, but besides that the 3rd Leg Vertigo encores weren't doing much for me.

I don't understand the question. Would stadiums have worked...how? Like, would they have sold out? I would think so. HTDAAB was huge and ticket demand for U2 is always gonna be ridiculous. Would the US have reacted positively to a stadium show? sure, why not? And since the rest of the world saw Vertigo in stadiums, then clearly the screen and light show were sufficient for stadiums, though I'd say 360 is much more impressive on that front.

U2 were tentatively planning spring stadium leg in the U.S. for May/June 2006. They decided not to obviously. I think the main reason was the uncertainty surrounding Edge's family medical issues. Not because they didn't think it would sell.

Well since the rest of the world has to suffer the pain of stadiums, and for the past 3 tours at least, I fail to see how stadiums would not have worked in the US :shrug:

Because we're better than you and so deserve arena shows. Obviously.

:wink:

I think it would have definitely worked, especially with rockers such as Electric Co, Gloria, Zoo Station and The Fly

I was just thinking how ironic it is that the set lists for this tour is a little bit more subdued & yet they are playing the stadiums.

Electric Co at Rogers Centre :drool: :up:

That is one thing that I feel is missing in this tour. There is no "Electric Co" type song this time around.

Perfect would be the properly played 11 Oclock Tick Tock (see: UABRS) or Like A Song.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom