Willie Williams Role

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badu2fan

The Fly
IMO Willie is the one person making this tour enjoyable for all of us with his visuals and lighting!!! I know most fanatics know that but the band ought to give a shout out to him for more folks to recognize his name and portfolio of work. Only Pink Floyd's shows compare to what Willie does...
:applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud:

In essence Williams has made the band very very rich. Between he and Mark Fisher they have come up with he vast majority of creative ideas for the shows.

If it were not for them, the band would be standing on a rectangular stage at the end of the building.

In my opinion millions of tickets over the years have been sold due to their ideas as much as the music the four members of the band create.

If it were not for them, the band would be standing on a rectangular stage at the end of the building.

I vote to get rid of Willie Williams and Mark Fisher now. In fact, retroactively.

In essence Williams has made the band very very rich. Between he and Mark Fisher they have come up with he vast majority of creative ideas for the shows.

In my opinion millions of tickets over the years have been sold due to their ideas as much as the music the four members of the band create.

:up: exactly. you can't appreciate what these guys have done enough, especially during the 90s and the 360º tour.

People would come to see U2 anyway. The JT tour is an example of that. The fancy production is something that first and foremost has perhaps kept U2 interested. But the music is primary to people coming along to see them perform.

People would come to see U2 anyway. The JT tour is an example of that. The fancy production is something that first and foremost has perhaps kept U2 interested. But the music is primary to people coming along to see them perform.

I certainly hope so. How pitiful if people only came for the flash.

:rolleyes: of course not, but does that mean we can't enjoy and appreciate the extra stuff that comes with it?

If you like it, that's fine. But all the flash in the world won't compensate for a shitty show, whereas a great performance doesn't need flash to be enjoyable. If you have both that's great, but people who like music won't go to a show that's just flash, but will go to one that's just music.

And since I was quoting Andrew Crowley and used the phrase "only came for the flash", I thought that was pretty obvious. :rolleyes:

I think as great as he and Fisher are its a huge stretch to say they are the reason U2's shows have been so successful. First you have to thank the music and its popularity, and then take into account that Bono and the boys have really dreamed up the essential ideas behind each major tour, which have then been fleshed out and brought to life by their team. ZooTV, PopMart, back to basics, playing in the round in stadiums, all come from the band. In the case of 360, you can thank Williams for the Claw because he was looking at LAX while dreaming up how to bring the next idea to life.

Not only would I say that it is almost wholly due to them that U2's shows are so successful, I would say that due to their work there are an infinite number of bands that are able to sell tickets because of them.

As almost every big live show has now taken video content on as a major aspect to the performance, this can be directly attributed back to Zoo TV and Popmart. Other bands like Pink Floyd (also a Fisher/Park client) always had video content, but the LED work with SACO, Williams, and Fisher on Popmart clearly re-defined the live show. Any band that tours an LED screen today can thank those guys for their success, and there are few bands that can sell out large rooms without them.

They revolutionized the big live show and I do not think a band could sell out a stadium today without the work they have done.

In terms of the creative aspect - they get involved very early on (as I was told by Fisher in his flat in 1996) as the music is being recorded (or in 360's case, even before) and the band basically approves or rejects the creative ideas. So the whole 'dreaming up' aspect for the musical direction is the band, but almost everything else about the live show has come from Williams / Fisher and formerly Jonathan Park.

I stand by this - and pose the question, if the band was playing on a plain jane rectangular stage with no wizardry, with this last record, do you think they would sell out stadiums?

I, regretfully, do not think so.

Axver - please elaborate.

I am with you in that the JT tour was phenomenal, and that era of music is very much my favorite. But if the band did not have this creative team behind them, what do you think we would be seeing today - assuming they would still be touring today...

I am with you in that the JT tour was phenomenal, and that era of music is very much my favorite. But if the band did not have this creative team behind them, what do you think we would be seeing today - assuming they would still be touring today...

During the Joshua Tree Tour there were compaints from those who went to the stadium shows that they couldn't see anything/anyone from the band. So while the music (and experience) might've been amazing at the front, towards the back it was less so. At the first few stadium shows U2 didn't have a video screen at all (they did have it at later shows).
Ever since, U2 have tried to get the people at the back more involved in the whole experience.

Willie and Mark are amazing, and have done a lot for U2... however, I think a lot of what they've been able to do ties directly into the creative genius of the band, and how their music can inspire the stages.

Try giving ZooTV to Pearl Jam.

Willie and Mark are amazing, and have done a lot for U2... however, I think a lot of what they've been able to do ties directly into the creative genius of the band, and how their music can inspire the stages.

Try giving ZooTV to Pearl Jam.

PJ would make awesome shows with special effects but decided many years ago to just play the music. Saw them recently and their show connected 25,000 fans very well and their sets cover songs through out career without worrying about what they play every night. The sing along on Better Man surpassed any I have heard for U2 in over 20 shows.Eddie let the crowd sing the whole song. IMO PJ intensity live is comparalbe to u2 during War or Joshua Tree tour. Their fan club seats are best in house.
With out special effects etc JT is u2 best live show. Zoo their best special effect tour. 360 would be lest of all IMO. Radiohead and REM toured last year and I thought they were better then 360. Radiohead light show was one of the coolest with LED lighting and the glow tubes.... Willie creates great concepts and hope he continues with more bands......:applaud:

I am actually curious what Willie gets paid to do his job.

I am sure it is substantial, but whenever you read his diaries he is always moaning about not having money, getting free food etc...

Willie always sounds to me like one of those middle-aged guys who lives his life exactly the same way as he did when he was 20 - pinching pennies even though he's making a hundred times more money.

I'm more curious how he gets paid. Does he draw a salary from Principle? Is he a freelancer hired by the hour/day/week/month? Or does he receive a flat sum for part of or an entire tour, including preproduction? Inquiring minds.....

Well, as i have said before...my fave u2 shows I been to were ones where it was just the stage and the band, without all the trimmings, so am not so sure am that overly bothered about the role the stage plays in a show. its all about the music for me baby!

During Joshua Tree my friend and I hung out with Willie and I have to say he is one of the nicest people (like all of the people that work for U2). At the time he told us that he is employed by the band even when they are not touring, I don't know exactly how that works, but it could be it's a lot of money when they tour and not so much when they don't.

Well, as i have said before...my fave u2 shows I been to were ones where it was just the stage and the band, without all the trimmings, so am not so sure am that overly bothered about the role the stage plays in a show. its all about the music for me baby!
that's one of the things i love about this tour. the claw can either just be the band and a stage (and a video screen so we can all see) or it can be popmart but better.

it really is their best stage ever. i don't know where they can go from here.

Back
Top Bottom