Willie Williams | Innovative Designs Staging for upcoming Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
San Francisco has Candlestick Park, where the football 49ers play, but they haven't hosted a concert there in years. U2 will probably play the Oakland Coliseum across the bay (where the Raiders play). San Diego has Qualcomm Stadium, where the Chargers play.

The original tour rumor was that the first show would be in Vegas, probably at Sam Boyd Stadium, where the first PopMart show was held (memorably). Boyd only has one deck, no tiers, so unless U2 came up with a brand new set design in the past four months, I don't think stadiums with tiers are necessary for the stage to function.

Didn't Green Day play candle stick with American Idiot?

I think sam boyd is the only stadium in nevada.

I imagine that the routing of the US tour will follow the pattern of outdoor stadiums in the north, then outdoor stadium in warmer places, then indoor stadiums.

What venue do they play in Montreal? Olympic must have been blacklisted for stadium shows for acoustic reasons. Don't know much of where the CFL football team plays.

Didn't Green Day play candle stick with American Idiot?

Good knowledge about Green Day, but they actually played at AT&T Park in San Francisco in 2005 (which was called SBC Park back then), which is the baseball stadium where the Giants play.

The stage was in center field with GA, and the infield was off-limits, so only about 35,000 fans could fit there with that setup. I doubt U2 would play there, but it would be great if they did.

Green Day 08 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The ever changing names of baseball park makes searching a complete pain.

I take it that U2 are avoiding active ballpark because having the infield roped off is a buzz kill. Can the old Candlestick host a concert without worry of pulling up the infield?

One thing I think u2 should avoid playing certain stadiums for the 4th and 5th time if possible. Montreal, LA Colisuem and Oakland included. BC Place is #5, but there's no other choice.

Did anyone look at the ZOOTV stage concepts, the last one in color, shows and elevated stage held up by scaffold (middle of stadium), and a catwalk to a smaller stage at the end of the stadium with massive video screens....looks very cool, maybe we can expect something similar??

Stufish | Mark Fisher Studio | Concerts |U2 | Zoo TV | 1992

They did say they would only play tiered stadiums, wonder why, maybe they need the larger venus to pay for their elaborate stage show. Whatever, the bigger the screens and larger/louder the venue/crowd the more exciting it will be!!

they wouldn't play baseball stadiums because they're tourning at a time when the baseball schedule is very in flux. baseball stadiums are like giant ampitheatre's and are actually better for concerts than football stadiums. but you can't schedule a concert in september and october without knowing what the stadium's prime occupant will be doing.

Baseball schedules for September are already locked in...and this logic would eliminate football/baseball shared venues like Oakland Stadium where the A's play...

i saw some 'concept' photo's of stage. friend of mine works for a big firm. the stage resembles a big 4 leg spider, very open.

I believe someone in U2 said that the stage looks like a spaceship?

So i guess if we come across a spaceship looking image which seems to fit some of the concept photos we have seen, that also looks like a 4 legged spider i guess...lol...

So um... a 4 legged spider spaceship in the middle of the stadium, with probably spinning video screens over the crowd.

What if the stage itself rotated? no...forget that...they would be way too dizzy and I see another Bono trip and fall accident.

...:hmm:

Did anyone look at the ZOOTV stage concepts, the last one in color, shows and elevated stage held up by scaffold (middle of stadium), and a catwalk to a smaller stage at the end of the stadium with massive video screens....looks very cool, maybe we can expect something similar??

Stufish | Mark Fisher Studio | Concerts |U2 | Zoo TV | 1992

They did say they would only play tiered stadiums, wonder why, maybe they need the larger venus to pay for their elaborate stage show. Whatever, the bigger the screens and larger/louder the venue/crowd the more exciting it will be!!

Ooh! Very cool. Nice find! :wave:

EDIT: They have concept art for other U2 shows as well, including Elevation, Vertigo, and POPMart. Really cool stuff. My favorite so far is the last sketch under the "Concept" section for POPMart...it shows what a "real" POPMart would look like, with an arch over the door and everything.

All right, guys, it appears that my random searching through Stufish's U2 concept art has paid off! I think I've found concept art of the spider-ship thing!
On the "Other Projects" sidebar near the bottom, go to "Vertigo (Outside Tour)." When you're there, click on "Concept" on the sidebar directly above the one you just used. It should be about the third one down.
I would just embed it, but it says you need a URL to embed images and I don't know what the URL would be. :doh:

Good knowledge about Green Day, but they actually played at AT&T Park in San Francisco in 2005 (which was called SBC Park back then), which is the baseball stadium where the Giants play.

The stage was in center field with GA, and the infield was off-limits, so only about 35,000 fans could fit there with that setup. I doubt U2 would play there, but it would be great if they did.

Green Day 08 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

That GD stadium tour was sort of an odd beast - they were caught at a stage where they had outgrown arenas but hadn't quite got the draw to fill stadiums everywhere, so they did a fair few of those outdoors-but-reduced-capacity shows. I seem to remember them playing Tesla in Australian to like 16,000, which was a shame.

On the U2 front... I've been sort of wondering if they aren't going to go the Sound And Vision (Bowie) route and have a transparent screen all the way around the band for part of these shows, as the focus seems to be on letting everyone all the way around be able to see. Sort of light curtains-plus.

And from earlier in the thread... "LED rimming" sounds like a really bizarre experience.

T

A stadium that has more than one tier of seating.

Solder Field(3 tiers) - Go Bears

Rose Bowl(1 tier) - crappy seats up high cuz they're way back...nose bleeds

The seats in the upper half of the upper deck at Soldier Field BLOW. I know, because I've sat there. In most cases, being vertically distant from the field is worse than being horizontally distant from the field.

The other thing to keep in mind about older football stadiums is that they generally have narrower rows (usually 3-6" narrower per row). This means that each row has less leg room, but it is of benefit to those fans sitting in the back rows because everybody will be packed in closer to the field.

All right, guys, it appears that my random searching through Stufish's U2 concept art has paid off! I think I've found concept art of the spider-ship thing!
On the "Other Projects" sidebar near the bottom, go to "Vertigo (Outside Tour)." When you're there, click on "Concept" on the sidebar directly above the one you just used. It should be about the third one down.
I would just embed it, but it says you need a URL to embed images and I don't know what the URL would be. :doh:
I have already imbedded it 4 days ago. Look at page 8 of this thread.

I have already imbedded it 4 days ago. Look at page 8 of this thread.
Actually, all of those Vertigo outdoor concept drawings would fit in with the new concept, since the sound and lighting system is always positioned above the stage.

This is a detailed view of Ms. Spears' setup and is giving me a headache.

Now THAT'S tiered pricing, bitch!

Ooh! Very cool. Nice find! :wave:

EDIT: They have concept art for other U2 shows as well, including Elevation, Vertigo, and POPMart. Really cool stuff. My favorite so far is the last sketch under the "Concept" section for POPMart...it shows what a "real" POPMart would look like, with an arch over the door and everything.

i believe the popmart was on the pop booklet.

If you go to dates and venues it shows how each stadium will be set up
This tour is really more about general admission than either of the previous tours. It looks like there will be enough space to accommodate a whole lot of fans in positions that will be better than seats

Back
Top Bottom