Will they sell out stadiums in the USA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...and again...:rolleyes:

You know, come to think of it, I doubt he has EVER reposted my previous posts in context...

Once again, you know who takes parts of some of my previous posts and sets them up, OUT OF CONTEXT.

What a HUGE surprise...:applaud:

Can we put this guy in a 'trolls' usergroup and only allow him to a new forum for trolls?

You know, come to think of it, I doubt he has EVER reposted my previous posts in context...

Well, what do you think of this:

Moggio:Madonna grossed $281.6 million from only 58 shows worldwide on her 2008 Sticky & Sweet tour. If she performed twice as many shows, her overall gross would be in the neighbourhood of double that figure. She's continuing this tour later this summer with an additional 25-30 shows in the UK/Europe (and possibly Australia), which will add an additional $100 million+ to her total of $281.6 million, making her overall total nearly $400 million, from less than 90 shows. Therefore, overall, Madonna is a larger draw than U2 and any other artist still alive and touring. You can spin it any way you want to. But that's a fact.

Btw, I'm a MAJOR fan of U2's 80s & 90s material.

Well, lets not overstate things. Here is MOGGIO's top 10 favorite artist:

Frank Zappa
Rush
Dream Theater
Pink Floyd
Neil Young
David Bowie
Prince
Roxy Music
INXS
Yes

Notice that U2 does not make his top 10 list. I doubt they would make his top 20 list either.

Does anybody know how well these shows are selling? I'm talking Charlottesville, Norman, Raleigh, Atlanta, Tampa, Phoenix and the supposedly "troubled" Boston 2. These are the ones where sellouts were questionable, just wondering if anybody had any insight.

Houston and Dallas seemed questionable at the time, but have exceeded everyone's expectations, probably even the band's management!

Does anybody know how well these shows are selling? I'm talking Charlottesville, Norman, Raleigh, Atlanta, Tampa, Phoenix and the supposedly "troubled" Boston 2. These are the ones where sellouts were questionable, just wondering if anybody had any insight.

Houston and Dallas seemed questionable at the time, but have exceeded everyone's expectations, probably even the band's management!

The only way you can estimate is through what is available on ticketmaster.

Charlottesville: GA - Soldout
Lower Level: Sales appear to be very heavy, but not soldout yet
Upper Level: $55 tickets soldout. But there are still plenty of $95 dollar tickets left, and some $30 tickets behind the stage.

Norman: GA - had troubling selling out the first day, but it did.
They really do not have tiered seating here. Tickets seem to be available in all price ranges.

Raleigh: GA - Soldout
$30 tickets - multiples Soldout
$55 tickets - multiples Soldout
$95 tickets - multiples Soldout except for Upper Level
$250 tickets - still some left

I think this show will definitely sellout since the allotment of $95 and $250 tickets was less for this show and the other ticket prices are soldout except for singles. Its also one of the few shows that takes place on a Saturday.

I've not checked Atlanta and Tampa in a while but both appeared strong in sales initially and have the potential to completely sellout.

Boston 2 seemed strong as well and I have not heard that it was "troubled" at all. The two shows in Boston combine for 144,000 tickets which match up nicely with the 148,000 tickets they sold on the 1992 ZOO TV Outside Broadcast shows they played in Boston.

I would say the lightest selling shows I have seen are Phoenix and Norman. I think both shows will fill up, but they will be the toughest to sellout.

I'm brand new here and probably shouldn't get involved in this, but I have two things to point out: 1.) Moggio needs a big kiss:heart:, and 2.) I'm going to see my favorite band on Oct. 20th in Glendale, regardless of whether or not U of PHX sells out...It's sad seeing that some people can't engage in an open and honest debate....:doh: Oh well, c'est la vie, go see Madonna and post on her forums!!!!

I'm brand new here and probably shouldn't get involved in this, but I have two things to point out: 1.) Moggio needs a big kiss:heart:, and 2.) I'm going to see my favorite band on Oct. 20th in Glendale, regardless of whether or not U of PHX sells out...It's sad seeing that some people can't engage in an open and honest debate....:doh: Oh well, c'est la vie, go see Madonna and post on her forums!!!!

well said. U2 rocks!

:up:

Welcome to Interference.

I did some quick research for Tampa and all GA's and $250 seats are gone. There are still $30 seat which are nosebleeds but given the stage setup should be nice. Also $55 in the 300's are available. So it looks like all the "GOOD" seats are gone but if U2 can get their spin doctors to sell the upper deck, it's a sure thing it will sell out by Oct. A second show would be a waste considering it didn't sell out immediately BUT good signs for a sellout. I would consider the same logic for all the second dates at actual "MAJOR" cities ie. NY/NJ, Chicago, Boston, etc.

I think once the tour starts, everything will sell-out quickly -- so early July will give us a good idea. I'd be surprised if all shows don't sell-out by September once folks get an idea of how huge this event is.

Although bias, I'm surprised they can't sell-out first dates anywhere, every show is a religious experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone's completely full of shit. :rolleyes:

Raleigh still has PLENTY of GREAT seats left. Still available: Section 21, row X, seats 3 & 4 - which is probably one of THE best reserved seating pairs you can score for this show.

Charlottesville, VA also
still has PLENTY of GREAT seats left. Still available: Section 122, row K, seats 4 & 3 - which is probably one of THE best reserved seating pairs you can score for this show.

You should try searching specific sections, not "best available". :rolleyes:

I guess everyone has their own opinion about what "GREAT seats" consist of. I honestly could care less how many seats have been sold up to this point for any particular show, and now that I have my ticket I have no desire to check TM to see what kind of seats are left...It's easy to speculate about how full the stadiums will be, but we won't truly know until June and beyond...I've loved U2 for years, but I don't know if I'd be able to shell out $500 for 2 reserved seats...So what's still available? $30 and $250 tickets? My definition of "great seats" is GA. Once GA sells out, the great seats are gone IMHO.

Last edited:
Someone's completely full of shit.

Raleigh still has PLENTY of GREAT seats left. Still available: Section 21, row X, seats 3 & 4 - which is probably one of THE best reserved seating pairs you can score for this show.

Lets see, did anyone here claim that you could not get $250 seats for Raleigh? Nope.

This is what I said in regards to the Raleigh show:

Raleigh: GA - Soldout
$30 tickets - multiples Soldout
$55 tickets - multiples Soldout
$95 tickets - multiples Soldout except for Upper Level
$250 tickets - still some left

I made it perfectly clear that there were still $250 seats left.

In any event, will see who really knew what they were talking about in terms of how U2 would do in Raleigh when the Billboard Boxscore comes out. I assure you, they will grossing substantially more than $2 million dollars and be playing to a HELL of alot more people than 31,000.

Charlottesville, VA also still has PLENTY of GREAT seats left. Still available: Section 122, row K, seats 4 & 3 - which is probably one of THE best reserved seating pairs you can score for this show.

Again, who here claimed that such seats were unavailable?

Here is what I said:

Charlottesville: GA - Soldout
Lower Level: Sales appear to be very heavy, but not soldout yet
Upper Level: $55 tickets soldout. But there are still plenty of $95 dollar tickets left, and some $30 tickets behind the stage.

Again, what part of that is not true?

By the way, $250 tickets are often the last to be sold because of their price.

You should try searching specific sections, not "best available".

1. Your the only one who seems to be searching best available.

2. You can search by level, but you can't search by specific section.

I look forward to the Dallas, Houston, Raleigh, Norman, and Charlottesville Boxscores. Predictions of 28,000 for Dallas and 31,000 for the other four cities is going to be WAY OFF.:wink:

YOU STILL DON'T GET IT.

Like I said, there are PLENTY of GREAT tix left. "Some left" doesn't cut it. :rolleyes:

Also...

You used to believe that no more than 1,000 fans would travel to a nearby centralized market if their particular market wasn't being hit. How's that for WAY OFF?

You stated that
EVERY Vertigo tour stop was heavily underbooked. How's that for WAY OFF?

Still completely full of shit, I see...

:applaud:

YOU STILL DON'T GET IT.

Like I said, there are PLENTY of GREAT tix left. "Some left" doesn't cut it. :rolleyes:

Also...

You used to believe that no more than 1,000 fans would travel to a nearby centralized market if their particular market wasn't being hit. How's that for WAY OFF?

You stated that
EVERY Vertigo tour stop was heavily underbooked. How's that for WAY OFF?

Still completely full of shit, I see...

:applaud:

LOOK AT ME I'M IMPORTANT YOU'RE FULL OF SHIT FUCKING MORON :wave::applaud::applaud::applaud::wave:

And, in all seriousness, who can sell out all of those stadiums when the lesser markets haven't been on sale a week?

Oh, wait. Madonna is infinitely better and more popular than U2, and her albums are infinitely better and more relevant than NLOTH. Gotcha.

LOOK AT ME I'M IMPORTANT YOU'RE FULL OF SHIT FUCKING MORON :wave::applaud::applaud::applaud::wave:

WAY out of line.

Moggio, you're way out of line as well. If you can't argue without resorting to personal attacks and insults, drop the argument and move on. I suggest you take a break from this thread and come back when you can discuss things calmly.

Like I said, there are PLENTY of GREAT tix left. "Some left" doesn't cut it.

Who here said there were "no great seats left"? Where did I or anyone say that? No one knows exactly how many $250 tickets are left, but I think its more accurate to say that SOME or left rather than PLENTY when we don't have the exact numbers.

I said that in reference to people who have to travel very long distances by car and bus and have to stay in overnight lodging from specific markets. Obviously there are more than 1,000 people traveling from the Philadelphia market to the Washington DC show.

Another factor is that there are only 20 shows on this leg and no shows schedule yet for markets that are being missed. I'd concede because of that, that it will tend to drive up the number of people willing to pay travel and overnight lodging cost to see the band.

On Vertigo though, you had 78 shows booked over a period of just 8 weeks. Because most of North America was being hit with shows, not as many people would need to resort to travel and over night lodging to see the band unless they were trying to go to multiple shows.

In any event, no one knows exactly how many people from different markets will be going to markets that have shows. There is no precise data on this. If someone were willing to do a scientific poll outside of one of the venues, we might be able to get some solid information on this.

I can't say for sure that there will definitely be 1,000 people from Denver CO. at the Norman show. There might be more, there might be less.

Without such information, there is no way to actually determine who is right, wrong, way off, etc. on this particular topic.

You stated that EVERY Vertigo tour stop was heavily underbooked. How's that for WAY OFF?

I stated the majority of Vertigo shows appeared to be underbooked. The results so far appear to indicate that may have been the case and Paul McGuinness and Arthur Fogul and U2 have discussed America being underbooked on Vertigo.

But again, were not really going to be able determine if thats correct or not in the same way will be able to with the predictions for Dallas, Houston, Norman, Raleigh and Charlottesville. For these cities, we have exact attendance and gross predictions and they will be compared to the exact attendance and gross results when they are released this fall.

The claim that Madonna is a bigger drawing artist than U2 and can beat U2 in just about any market?

In the UK last year Madonna limped to 1 sold out show at Wembley (legitimately with around 73,000 there) and 1 half-full "sold out" show in Cardiff (34,000 in a 63,000 capacity venue). No US stadium show legitimately filled the venue, Detroit for example had the entire upper tier covered over (and yes they DID sell tickets for it and moved people when they turned up). Ticket sales for this years shows have plummetted in all the markets being revisited. She has yet to sell out 2 of 3 arena shows in the UK and cancelled one in Manchester with sales stallling reputedly well under 5,000 (even LN couldn't claim a "5,000 sell-out" in a near 20,000 capacity venue). She has also cancelled Hamburg due to poor sales and the Spanish, French & Italian dates are all struggling.

It will be fascinating to see how U2 sell when they return for the 2010 leg, somehow I don't think they will slump at the box office like Madonna has. (for the record I'm not just bashing Madge, my fan-dom of her stretches back as far as it does for U2 to the late 80's)

Moggio, you're way out of line as well. If you can't argue without resorting to personal attacks and insults, drop the argument and move on. I suggest you take a break from this thread and come back when you can discuss things calmly.

No, I'm not out of line. The guy lies & bends the "facts" to make U2 look more popular than they really are. And it's been going on for YEARS. I'm the only one on this forum who actually knows more about the concert business than he does. And in order for anyone here to truthfully see what I'm getting at, it would take YEARS of experience & research to understand that. I used to argue with him all the time about this stuff. And I could respond to every single sentence he states and easily hand him his ass...but would that really be worth it, considering how manipulative he really is?

And I'm perfectly calm. All I'm doing is giving him a reality check. Instead of telling him he's completely full of shit, should I say his objectivity has no presence in reality?

Since this thread is almost at 1000 anyway I'm going to go ahead and close it. In a couple of months another thread can be started to discuss actual attendance figures, no more speculation is necessary.

Closed thread, but this deserves a response.

No, I'm not out of line. The guy lies & bends the "facts" to make U2 look more popular than they really are. And it's been going on for YEARS. I'm the only one on this forum who actually knows more about the concert business than he does. And in order for anyone here to truthfully see what I'm getting at, it would take YEARS of experience & research to understand that. I used to argue with him all the time about this stuff. And I could respond to every single sentence he states and easily hand him his ass...but would that really be worth it, considering how manipulative he really is?

And I'm perfectly calm. All I'm doing is giving him a reality check. Instead of telling him he's completely full of shit, should I say his objectivity has no presence in reality?

Yes, you are out of line. Calling someone completely full of shit is not acceptable. It doesn't matter if you're perfectly calm while you're insulting the other guy, you're still insulting the other guy. Debate the merit of his arguments, not the man himself. And really, have you two ever come to any agreement or even compromise in any of your arguments? Sometimes it's better to just move on, rather than clog up threads with back and forth bickering you know isn't going to go anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom