Will there be a promo tour this time ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
U2 has done two mini-tours to promote ATYCLB and Bomb. (late night shows, free shows on Irving Plaza and Brooklyn Bridge...)

Will they do it again this time ?

There have been no rumours of promo tour but when the rumour is true that they'll start tour with Europe in summer they have the whole spring for promo tour

Or get VERY prepared and extremely well rehearsed for the actual tour in Summer :wink:

Of course they'll do promo work. They need to get out there and advertise the fact that they are "back". Inform some people out there who would otherwise be clueless. Expect some shows like SNL, Leno, Letterman, Conan etc, possibly the Today Show. In the UK, probably TOTP, CDUK, Jools Holland, things like that.

i hope so also. if there is one, they'll probably start kicking it off in about a month/month and a half, which will be nice because we'll start hearing new songs earlier than the album release. :hyper:

Of course they'll do promo work. They need to get out there and advertise the fact that they are "back". Inform some people out there who would otherwise be clueless. Expect some shows like SNL, Leno, Letterman, Conan etc, possibly the Today Show. In the UK, probably TOTP, CDUK, Jools Holland, things like that.

Neither TOTP or CDUK are on air anymore!

Wow, this thread just made me realize how little we know about anything. It's pretty amazing considering the date. Kinda cool that things aren't so formulaic and predictable this time...although also a bit frustrating. :wink:

I hope they play the BBC again. The ATYCLB & Bomb material sounded so great on those shows.

Would love to get recording of these if anyone could point me in the right direction :whistle:

Neither TOTP or CDUK are on air anymore!

Sadly true.

I should think they will do a promo tour, the guys will be eager to start playing the new tunes so its a perfect opportunity to start familiarising themselves with the material and finding their rhythm for the tour.

Hopefully they'll appear on Jonathan Ross' show again too, now that his suspension is almost over and the new series is due to start airing soon. Last time they were on the interview provided some good banter and that stunning performance of SYCMIOYO is still one of my absolute favourites.

i'm sure they'll do something... pop, all that you can't leave behind and how to dismantle an atomic bomb all had some sort of promo performance in new york city... be it k-mart, irving or the bridge... so i'm certainly hoping that practice continues, for selfish reasons.

the album comes out in march... perhaps a live free outdoor performance in new york on st. patrick's day :hi5:

Am I the only one who is really becoming skepitcal of a tour happening in 2009?

Something seems kind of weird to me. We would normally have atleast some semi confirmed rumors, backed up by some official clues and/or band quotes to get a pretty good idea about when they'll be playing. Its seems like we have on tiny bits and pieces. Bono said something about "we've thought up stuff that hasn't been done before" or whatever, and 102 threads like this one that basically speculates but nothing else.

Now rumors are spreading that they are pushing the tour to 2010 on some of the other boards. I hate to fall victim to the: I'm bored so I'm going to start speculating syndrome...but I just keep getting this weird feeling like they are seriously reconsidering alot of stuff that seemed pretty solid a few months ago.

Why would they put a tour off a year after the album comes out? Any band wants to tour after a new album to make sure there is sufficient hype to sell tickets, no?

Maybe it'll just start in the early Fall instead of June as rumored.

usually we need at least, ya know, a single out before the rumors of tour dates start picking up steam...

i think they'll do all stadiums... allowing them to hit more areas in a shorter amount of time. i don't think they have any interest in staying on tour for 3 years again. i don't think that was the plan for vertigo, either... it just unfortunatly ended up that way.

In the UK I should think they'll do the Jonathan Ross show... provided that's back on air by then :ohmy: And it's always amazing when anyone plays the Jools Holland show, bloody hope they do that.

U2 has done two mini-tours to promote ATYCLB and Bomb. (late night shows, free shows on Irving Plaza and Brooklyn Bridge...)

Will they do it again this time ?

I'm actually hoping for something a bit different.

I don't watch a lot of TV. So, yeah, if U2 were on a show, I'll watch it. But it's not like I otherwise watch SNL or Letterman or Leno or whatever.

And free shows on a bridge in a specific location are fun, but that's just the problem - it's a specific location. Great if one is close to that area in NYC or whatever. But what about the rest of the country or other countries? Guess we'd have to wait for the tour.

In the JT and AB days, U2 didn't do these types of promotions. While I understood the need to do them for ATYCLB (as U2 once again changed styles and were coming off their personal worst selling album, even if it sold well overall), by HTDAAB, I felt these events were a bit over-the-top.

Still, if U2 need to promote, and in today's world, they do (as MTV doesn't play videos and normal radio only plays a few select artists), why not try something like Sirius Satellite Radio and have a U2 station? Springsteen, REM, Dylan and the Stones have all had a station dedicated just to them for a short time - often to promote a new release. I'd love a U2 station for a short while - it would promote Sirius (and for those of you who don't have this, trust me, you'll start to enjoy radio again and you'll never go back to normal FM or AM stations) and it would be great listening to all sorts of U2 all day long. To me, that's still a fairly fresh innovative idea that's not limited to parts of a country or out-dated late night TV.

usually we need at least, ya know, a single out before the rumors of tour dates start picking up steam...

i think they'll do all stadiums... allowing them to hit more areas in a shorter amount of time. i don't think they have any interest in staying on tour for 3 years again. i don't think that was the plan for vertigo, either... it just unfortunatly ended up that way.

I agree. We don't have a single yet, so pushing for tour info. is a bit premature.

I also think that if the rumors of the tour starting in Europe are true, then they wll play stadiums there. As for the U.S., certain cities, like Boston, New York and Chicago, can and will easily support stadium shows -in fact, probably several stadium shows. U2 have always been very popular in these areas. The Chicago PopMart show was so popular that U2 sold out Soldier Field twice (!) and almost had a third show sell-out as well (came up just a bit shy). U2 might also have stadiums in other big cities - depending on the success of the singles and album - like in LA, San Fran., Miami, Denver, etc. But some areas simply cannot support a stadium show (as U2 found out during the PopMart tour). Hence, I think there may be a mix of arenas and stadium shows for the U.S. (or perhaps two legs -one being arena only and another being stadiums - much like U2 did for ZOO TV).

A late spring/summer tour is also probably the timing of this tour, so news in January is a bit early.

I hope they do SNL again..their performances on that show have been amazing. Nothing beats Elevation with the Instant Karma snippet during the ATYCLB days! :drool:

i'm sure they'll do something... pop, all that you can't leave behind and how to dismantle an atomic bomb all had some sort of promo performance in new york city... be it k-mart, irving or the bridge... so i'm certainly hoping that practice continues, for selfish reasons.

the album comes out in march... perhaps a live free outdoor performance in new york on st. patrick's day :hi5:

I was thinking a live performance streaming on internet and available on Itunes later ?

I hope they do SNL again..their performances on that show have been amazing. Nothing beats Elevation with the Instant Karma snippet during the ATYCLB days! :drool:

Damn youtube for taking that down:angry:

Still, if U2 need to promote, and in today's world, they do (as MTV doesn't play videos and normal radio only plays a few select artists), why not try something like Sirius Satellite Radio and have a U2 station? Springsteen, REM, Dylan and the Stones have all had a station dedicated just to them for a short time - often to promote a new release. I'd love a U2 station for a short while - it would promote Sirius (and for those of you who don't have this, trust me, you'll start to enjoy radio again and you'll never go back to normal FM or AM stations) and it would be great listening to all sorts of U2 all day long. To me, that's still a fairly fresh innovative idea that's not limited to parts of a country or out-dated late night TV.

There's already word on the stations on Sirius/XM that as soon as U2 officially release their next album that there will be talks about having a channel dedicated to just them :drool: or at the very least have them host a channel for a week like many other bands have. But to be honest, I'd bet anything that because of their status that they get an entire channel....and since I'm a devoted salelite radio listener...I'll be ecstatic. I totally agree with you regarding the appreciation for music when listen to satelite. Its night and day from terrestrial radio. I wish more people would realize that.

I hope they play the BBC again. The ATYCLB & Bomb material sounded so great on those shows.

Would love to get recording of these if anyone could point me in the right direction :whistle:

You could just play your CD's. Only the vocals were live on those shows.

Back
Top Bottom