Will there be a promo tour this time ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, there was a crowd singing 40 all the way down into the metro after the first show in DC on the last tour :drool:

Unfortunately, I had a very bad experience at the first DC show. Funny, that was the first show that we did the live stream (I was streaming), I had great seats right on the side of the stage, lower rows; at one point during the first couple of songs, (maybe Vertigo) these two couples show up and sit in front of me and proceed to start talking really really loudly during every song not paying attention at all to the show.

By the time Sometimes started I was really pissed. At some point I couldn't stand it anymore and finally move forward to them and said "can you please shut the fuck up"

The funniest part of the story, was then coming back to read the setlist party thread and read the comments of the people who were trying to listen to the stream and could actually hear the people in front of me talking. Finally some says, "did she just tell them to shut the fuck up".....:lol:

:giggle:

Well, I did find your post rather humorous, so thanks for that, although I really don't think I fit into one of those categories/paths in particular

Dude, you totally hit some variation of Phase I------Can I say the words "Union Chapel?" :wink:

Dude, you totally hit some variation of Phase I------Can I say the words "Union Chapel?" :wink:

hmmmmmmmm....I honestly can't recall...that was quite some time ago :)

I do remember that period of time though...I was going to the computer lab between classes and during every single break possible, checking interference and just going insane....brings back memories haha...pretty exciting time :)

Ah, Rob! Welcome to Phase II of your Interference membership! :wave:

Phase I: You start out writing massively long posts about how great it is that Edge had some fret buzz in the Sometimes intro. You create song appreciation threads by the dozens. You lap up and post about every detail in the band's 30-year history because it's just that interesting. You defend everything the band does with such vehemence that Bono could punch child dying from cancer and you'd find a way to make it okay.

Phase II: You start to get annoyed with having to defend your pro-U2 stances every fucking post. You're arguing with the same people, debating whether or not to actually use the 'block user' function, and yet you keep coming back every five minutes to check to see if someone's written another post that you have to argue. It starts to seem like everyone who actually posts here is a U2-hating tool and you promise yourself that that'll never be you.

Phase III: You actually start to see some cracks in U2's armor. Suddenly, a few U2-criticizing posts find their way onto the board--written by you! You're not quite sure how that can be, yet it strangely coincides with the day your U2-to-other-band listening ratio drops below 75%.

Phase IV-A: You start to explore the rest of real life, ending up with a semi-hiatus from the Crack for a while. You post now and then, and suddenly your posts are now 1-3 lines instead of 1-3 paragraphs.

:lol: Phase IV-A describes exactly where i'm at for the most part.

This should be a scientific study.

Unfortunately, I had a very bad experience at the first DC show. Funny, that was the first show that we did the live stream (I was streaming), I had great seats right on the side of the stage, lower rows; at one point during the first couple of songs, (maybe Vertigo) these two couples show up and sit in front of me and proceed to start talking really really loudly during every song not paying attention at all to the show.

By the time Sometimes started I was really pissed. At some point I couldn't stand it anymore and finally move forward to them and said "can you please shut the fuck up"

The funniest part of the story, was then coming back to read the setlist party thread and read the comments of the people who were trying to listen to the stream and could actually hear the people in front of me talking. Finally some says, "did she just tell them to shut the fuck up".....:lol:
Ha Ha,
I can't stand it when people go to concerts and talk. I think sometimes for people it is something they check off so they can say that they did vs. actually there because they want to. Had something very similar during the pop concert. That guy was three sheets to the wind as well.

I reckon they should do promo shows in places they've not done them before like Australia, NZ, South Africa or Japan or Holland and then braodcast them to multiple radio stations and stream on the net for the rest of the world then maybe do 1 or 2 US tv show efforts instead of 5 or 6 and nothing else. Prove to us they are not only interested in America.

This reminds me of the last tour. After Elevation so many people were saying "wow U2 should go back to closing their shows with 40" "that was the best closer ever" "why in the world do they just not close with 40" "doesn't make any sense to not close with 40 that was a true classic closer"

Fast forward to 2004, U2 starts closing with "40" and the posts start about what a boring closer. During "40" hoards of people are already gone or leaving, no classic chant like during the JT tour. :lol:

I remember thinking, I hope U2 doesn't take the suggestions from this board because as soon as they do it, people will still complain and what something different anyway.

Yes, exactly. Your post brings up the 2 most important points from this thread for me. 1)U2 cant win no matter what they do and 2) Level of promotion for a new album.

Through the example of the JT tour you brought up, we can see that no one was happy with 40, wished it had the JT passion and resonance w/ the crowd, etc. They cant win. Stay on the JT era and we see that U2, though obviously incredibly well known from the UF-Live Aid-Conspiracy of Hope run pretty much released an album in March of 1987 and rocketed to the very top of the music industry to everyone's surpise, including their own. I was too young to know, but from what I read, there was not much promotion of Joshua Tree album, it just kind of hit people. Same with Achtung Baby. Anyone see a pattern? When they feel they have really done something great, it seems that U2 pulls back on the lets be everywhere and promote the shit out of everything routine and lets the music do the talking. Judging from Eno/Lanois/Larry comments(not Bono) and yes, Boots, they will be letting the greatness of the album do the talking for NLOTH. Mark my words.

Great moments in Interference history :wink:

I've never understood people who pay so much for concert tickets only to go and either get so wasted they don't remember the show the next day or spend most of their time acting in ways that take away from the experience the people around them can have. A few years ago I was second row GA for Bob Dylan, and the rail in front of me was lined by a bunch of 40-somethings who looked like they were bored to tears for the whole show. I would've loved to have had their spot, but they wouldn't budge. You know they all went to work the next day and bragged about being in the front row, though.

1st night Vertigo in Vancouver. I was in the seats and the guy behind me passes out and clips his forehead on the top of my seat falling down. His girlfriend and a few guys drag him out. This was during the start of New Year's Day. 5-6 songs in the set. What a waste.

They were both strung out when they came in (pills, coke, pot, whatever it was it was too much) . A few beers added to the mix and Humpty Dumpty... so on.

Personally, I want U2 to be out there, I want their music to be a success and the casual music fan to know and like their music. And I want as many non-hardcore-fans to go to their concerts, people who are just there for the music and don't analyse every detail or bitch about everything that they don't like. I think concerts would be nothing without the casual people hanging around. I don't want U2 to be an elitist band like some fans seem to suggest. So I hope the album will be a success. They have always been the most universal band for me and I want to see them attracting new fans as well as keeping old ones (maybe except those who always want a reason to complain). But I also agree with whoever said that U2 has to compete against U2, I think it must be a real curse always being measured by your previous work. While some fans may like to see a good and couragous U2 album that flops commercially, I don't want to live in a world where only die hard fans know about U2's music and not the regular people out there.

Just to offer this bit of info....of course U2 is doing a HLOTH promo tour as most of us already know.....but in case we didn't know if you go to terrylawless.com

Terry has been the keyboard programmer - occasional keyboard player for the last 2 U2 tours and the last U2 album HTDAAB......if you go his website he has a little interactive keyboard and one of the thing it features is "Where is Terry now?"...updated daily...if you click on it for the past few days it has said "In Dublin with U2" "NLOTH PROMO TOUR" so I am assuming things will get rolling soon....I know U2 is set to do the Brit and Echo awards in Europe...it's a sure bet that they'll be heading to the U.S. to do promotional work right after that...who knows?? maybe before...we'll see
Terry also has some interesting pics....a few of his keyboard setup in Fez,Morrocco....he has another pic from Fez entilted ..."Coca-Cola delivery truck"....it is a picture of a couple of crates of Coke strapped around a horse:D...poor horse

Ah, Rob! Welcome to Phase II of your Interference membership! :wave:

Phase I: You start out writing massively long posts about how great it is that Edge had some fret buzz in the Sometimes intro. You create song appreciation threads by the dozens. You lap up and post about every detail in the band's 30-year history because it's just that interesting. You defend everything the band does with such vehemence that Bono could punch child dying from cancer and you'd find a way to make it okay.

Phase II: You start to get annoyed with having to defend your pro-U2 stances every fucking post. You're arguing with the same people, debating whether or not to actually use the 'block user' function, and yet you keep coming back every five minutes to check to see if someone's written another post that you have to argue. It starts to seem like everyone who actually posts here is a U2-hating tool and you promise yourself that that'll never be you.

Phase III: You actually start to see some cracks in U2's armor. Suddenly, a few U2-criticizing posts find their way onto the board--written by you! You're not quite sure how that can be, yet it strangely coincides with the day your U2-to-other-band listening ratio drops below 75%.

Phase IV-A: You start to explore the rest of real life, ending up with a semi-hiatus from the Crack for a while. You post now and then, and suddenly your posts are now 1-3 lines instead of 1-3 paragraphs.

OR

Phase IV-B: You become as cyincal as the rest, writing acid-tongued posts that are simultaneously both for-U2 and against-U2, and nearly 100% anti-other members.

Phase V: If you took the Phase IV-A route, you somehow find your way back because, well, it's the Crack. You slowly start writing more, mainly positive stuff, and you like this place, though you'll never be like you were in your Interference infancy. If you took the Phase IV-B route, you're probably still a douchebag.

Enjoy the ride! :wave:

F-ing hilarious.

If you had taken this to a full 12 steps I'd swear I was an alcoholic.

:applaud:

Will they do the Jonathon Ross show now it's back on air? :hmm:

Will they do the Jonathon Ross show now it's back on air? :hmm:

Yeah hopefully, I remember that being a good interview when they were on it before. I also remember laughing so much at Bono getting carried away during I Will Follow and being heard through the mic to say at one guy in the crowd "stand up you miserable bastard!" I couldn't help but think at the time - what if that guy was in a wheelchair lol.

I just had a thought... NLOTH is coming out in March, right before South by Southwest here in Austin, which is a pretty large music festival that happens over the span of a week or so, with performers scattered at clubs throughout the city. R.E.M. played a show at a small club (Stubb's, if I remember correctly) last year, and it was nearly impossible to get in.

U2 should do that.

End pipe dream.

Yeah hopefully, I remember that being a good interview when they were on it before. I also remember laughing so much at Bono getting carried away during I Will Follow and being heard through the mic to say at one guy in the crowd "stand up you miserable bastard!" I couldn't help but think at the time - what if that guy was in a wheelchair lol.

He wasn't in a wheelchair but he was disabled!!:|
Bono was mortified after the taping!!

Of course they'll do promo work. They need to get out there and advertise the fact that they are "back". Inform some people out there who would otherwise be clueless. Expect some shows like SNL, Leno, Letterman, Conan etc, possibly the Today Show. In the UK, probably TOTP, CDUK, Jools Holland, things like that.

That's just it, though. When U2 was at its prime in the late '80s and early '90s, they never appeared on something as commercial as a talk show or SNL. The band could afford to be more reclusive and hard to get. They didn't have to try. While I totally understand a band like The Cure having to do these things, U2 doesn't have to and shouldn't. But, whatever.... I don't really care.

Back
Top Bottom