Will The Stage Rotate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Will The Stage Rotate?

• Yes

Votes: 36 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 100 73.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Two reasons why I don't see the stage rotating:

1. The large rear walkway looks permanent to me. It is not just for moving equipment onto the stage, otherwise it would just be a set of stairs without the long walkway. Also, they will use forklifts, etc for moving equipment up on stage, not carry it all up the stairs by hand.

2. The main stage is only 5-6 feet off the ground, and since Dallas is not a hunchback, his underground guitar warehouse will be relegated to the rear arc of the main stage, which is another 3-4 feet higher (7 stairs to be exact). If the stage rotated, he would have to tip toe along with Edge's 20+ guitars in tow... not going to happen.

I think you need to relook at the picture again. The rear walkway doesn't look permanent at all, I could totally see it being rolled back either before the show or right after the band takes the stage.. Also, the center of the stage is higher than 5 feet. Finally, the rear arc is part of the stage area that I think will move, it's pretty obviously part of the 'elevated circle', it forms the back part of it. Therefore the guitar warehouse, if that is where it will be kept, can easily rotate around with the stage without Dallas having to worry.

The pictures are a little deceiving but I'm still pretty sure the "elevated" part is still oval...

But I am curious as to why they have that little step, seems like just another hazard for Bono to stumble upon if not looking.

The pictures are a little deceiving but I'm still pretty sure the "elevated" part is still oval...

But I am curious as to why they have that little step, seems like just another hazard for Bono to stumble upon if not looking.

Is it really though? When viewed from an 'across' perspective, circles can be deceiving.

Look at this one, more from above:

img7877.jpg

note that part of the back of the raised part and the attached staircase is in shadows, if you look closer it seems to follow a circular arc rather than oval shape..to me anyways..and the other pics were from the back, which has that third raised area (accessed by the 7 steps, the b-stage if you will). So it's a bit of an illusion looking at it from that side. Looking at it from above at the front, it looks like a circle to me.

if the raised part does not in fact rotate, it begs a few questions: why the outer track for the lighting rigs? They should be stationary if the band is not rotating. Also, why even bother with a second raised area? The stage could simply be the one level plus Larry's riser, and work just fine. There's a purpose to everything...raised stage area with track ringing = moving stage area to me..

Well, the stage is a bit curious with the elevated circle as you say. It certainly looks like it wants to rotate. I think that Dallas' cubby hole would have to be suspended off the ground in some fashion if the stage rotated.

And the rear walkway is just too huge to be temporary. And it's too large to just roll out of the way at showtime-- there is no room to park it anywhere in the pics. Plus it is resting on the elevated flooring. We all agree that is it big and ugly and in the way, but it's there for a reason.

But having said all that, I'm sure that Willie has packed a few surprises for us! :up:

I think the raised part is just for the "underworld" nothing more nothing less.

I'm not sure what track you are talking about...

To me it looks like an equal consitant sizing around on the lower area of the lip which tells me the elevated area is an oval... But we'll soon see.:shrug:

I'm not sure what track you are talking about...

To me it looks like an equal consitant sizing around on the lower area of the lip which tells me the elevated area is an oval... But we'll soon see.:shrug:

There is clearly track laid out and being laid out by workers around the circumference of the stage in the pictures I referenced. The lighting rigs at the back are on wheels on that track.

The more I look at that elevated part the more I'm convinced it is in fact a circle.

I reach an opposite conclusion. The inner track is the same distance from the outer edge of the already-agreed-upon oval stage. If it was circular, it wouldn't be equidistant from the oval shaped larger stage at all points.

The rear walkway is accordion style though...what if it just moves back a bit ie just enough to 'detach' it from the elevated stage...or folds back towards the stands? Just an idea

Well, that could be. The only reason for pulling back or moving out the rear walkway would be to let GA fill in that area. Otherwise, what is the benefit? And I don't see them quickly setting up barricades and letting fans into an "active" staging area. Plus the band is then cut off for encores.

Diemen what is your opinion, being a photographer? Is it possible that the angle/perspective that these pics have been taken from is tricking us into thinking it's an oval? I'm thinking the size + the photogs position and aspect ratio or whatever is creating the illusion. The further up in the air the pictures are, the more the entire thing outside ring included looks like a circle or pretty close to it to me. Thoughts? Who/when was it decided that this is an oval, or am I just nuts?

Diemen what is your opinion, being a photographer? Is it possible that the angle/perspective that these pics have been taken from is tricking us into thinking it's an oval? I'm thinking the size + the photogs position and aspect ratio or whatever is creating the illusion. The further up in the air the pictures are, the more the entire thing outside ring included looks like a circle or pretty close to it to me. Thoughts? Who/when was it decided that this is an oval, or am I just nuts?

I think it's clear that the stage is an oval, seeing as we've seen pictures from the front and from the side and it's clearly narrower along the side. If anything the shots from an angle could make it look more circular than it is, since it's hard to see the depth (especially with the raised portion at the back).

The first batch of pictures with the screen above the stage gave a pretty good view of the difference in width between the front and the side of the stage. Not sure what page those were on, though. :)

I reach an opposite conclusion. The inner track is the same distance from the outer edge of the already-agreed-upon oval stage. If it was circular, it wouldn't be equidistant from the oval shaped larger stage at all points.
I agree.

There is clearly track laid out and being laid out by workers around the circumference of the stage in the pictures I referenced. The lighting rigs at the back are on wheels on that track.

But now that you mention this it does look like track. BUT keep this in mind. If the stage rotated, the lights would be attached and rotate with the stage, if the elevated part was truly round then the track would be circular as well and not follow the perimeter of the lower ring.

If that is indeed track then I think we're looking at maybe a lighting camera combination that can travel around.

Nerd.

:wink:

I think it's clear that the stage is an oval, seeing as we've seen pictures from the front and from the side and it's clearly narrower along the side. If anything the shots from an angle could make it look more circular than it is, since it's hard to see the depth (especially with the raised portion at the back).

The first batch of pictures with the screen above the stage gave a pretty good view of the difference in width between the front and the side of the stage. Not sure what page those were on, though. :)

I just looked at that picture again, the one that Headache referenced way back. There's something not right with that shot. It looks squashed. I don't know, maybe I'm just crazy. If you take a picture of a circle across the top of it and do any type of resizing at all, it will end up not looking like a circle anymore. I'm not saying that's the case here, but I'd love a truly aerial shot to see...as I said the further up and away the person taking the picture has been, the more the entire thing looks circular to me.

I don't have a clue where you guys got this idea.

Some of the earlier quotes from Paul McG, etc. mentioned that the stage would be near midfield and that there will be no behind the stage seats. If no seats are "behind the stage", then the band must play in different directions at some point.

I'm going to stay in the minority and assert that the actual floorspace the band occupies is a 'lazy susan' design like your mom had on the kitchen table. Also, didn't a crew member or someone important say the stage would rotate? :shrug:

Some of the earlier quotes from Paul McG, etc. mentioned that the stage would be near midfield and that there will be no behind the stage seats. If no seats are "behind the stage", then the band must play in different directions at some point.

yes... it's called walking.

try it some time.

face one direction, wave to the people... turn around, wave to those people.

it's a miracle of modern science, i tell ya!

Back
Top Bottom