Why didn't U2 tour Montreal, Canada this tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2 is afraid of this guy

827649-1013437.jpg

If U2 doesn't play Montreal, it's cause they don't wanna play in a city with the World's dumbest, most stupid sports team.

Surely you are not referring to the Habs. Say you aren't. Cause those are words of war, right there, if so. :angry:

The Rogers Centre is baseball and Olympic Stadium had a seating configuration change to match Soccer after the Expos left

This much is true, however the concerns with the flaky roof are valid.

I had no idea the Yankees played in Montreal :hmm:

ooooooooooohhhhhhhsnaaaappppppp!!!!!

I thought U2 played there on both the Joshua Tree and Zoo TV tours

Huh??? There was no full roof there in the 80s, was there?!

Without Quebec, Canada has no culture for which to be proud. Not that you're serious, but English Canada needs to appreciate the uniqueness of Quebec a bit more. They make great fresh bread (baguettes, etc), too, unlike much of America, and have good Greek food, too.

That anti-Dion stuff had a lot to do with him being a French speaker.

My brother also says that Canada would have moved much closer to a purely capitalistic society without the more left-wing, communitarian influences of Quebec French Canadians.

The hell??! Listen dude, I'm born there, but Montreal owns no exclusivity on culture, ok? The east coast has a strong heritage, also. Granted, with French as the common denominator. But I'll be the first to point out the numerous vibrant cultures that are alive and well within the southern Ontario region, not to mention Toronto.

Also, your brother is off.

Furthermore, Rogers Centre is a football stadium, the Argos play there (Toronto Argonauts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Nobody in their right mind refers to the Rogers Centre as a football stadium. It's a HORRIBLE place for a football team, and ever since they moved from Exhibition Place the ongoing discussion is "how can we convince the tax paying public to sponsor us a new football stadium so we can get the fuck out of the Rogers Centre"

it had to do with his personality, not the language in which he expressed himself most easily.

Oh, the sweet sweet irony! :love:

U2 is afraid of this guy

827649-1013437.jpg

:lol:

He ain't so friendly, you know.

Anyways...one of the best things about U2 playing the Rogers Centre is BECAUSE it is a baseball stadium, and not a football stadium, the general GA area is shallow, as opposed to deep, and you get a perception even in the general GA area that you're not that far back at all.

ACDC Played at the Big O this past summer(53 000 people),so safty isn't an issue.The issue is that the F*****G pylon won't fit under the roof.

ACDC Played at the Big O this past summer(53 000 people),so safty isn't an issue.The issue is that the F*****G pylon won't fit under the roof.

No it's not. They can lower it or keep off the top. Same happened in Amsterdam cause the roof had to be closed.

I thought they might have assured the good people of Montreal that there would eventually be a show, but it seems mostly to be European stuff. I fear Montreal has suffered from pro-Toronto propaganda. I turned into a U2 fan -- as did my big brothers before me -- when I lived in Montreal, so I feel badly for its residents.

Not being one for diplomacy, I'll say this as politely as I can: you, sir, have one too many screws loose. Pro-Toronto propaganda? Are you for real?

Why don't we wait until the tour is all wrapped up, because we know that there will be another North American leg, before making any comments about why they may have skipped a certain city. Remember, U2 skipped major markets in the U.S., too, like Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle, etc.

And U2 don't hate Canadians or Montrealers during Vertigo Bono was joking U2 was going to move to Montreal..:lol:

I know you're joking, but people took that comment way too seriously. Like he hasn't said that, or something similar, anywhere else.

:up: that shit is nasty.

No it's not, and thanks for buying me one! :love: :koss:

how did i ever miss this thread? this is 3 pages of pure brilliance!

I know, right?

Anyways...one of the best things about U2 playing the Rogers Centre is BECAUSE it is a baseball stadium, and not a football stadium, the general GA area is shallow, as opposed to deep, and you get a perception even in the general GA area that you're not that far back at all.

Yup. The shape of Rogers was ideal for the show. :up:

Anyway, isn't Canada just the 51st State?

Isn't this the third time you're fishing for a fight in this thread?

"Faux French"
"So Québec stole its culture from France?"
"Isn't Canada just the 51st State"

What's your deal? What's triggered your need to pick a fight in this thread?

^ You'll like this. It just needed to be shared somewhere.

Q: Where would you find the red light district in Toronto?
A: Behind the Leafs net.

Q: What do you call 25 millionaires around a TV watching the Stanley Cup playoffs?
A: The Toronto Maple Leafs

A current Leaf player was talking to a retired Leaf player.
“What do you miss the most about playing in the NHL?” he asked.
The retired player said, “Tough to say. If I had to pick one thing, I guess I would say I miss the playoffs.”
The current Leaf player replied, “I know what you mean.”

Q: What’s the difference between a triangle and the Toronto Maple Leafs?
A: A triangle has three points.

While Hamilton may be heartbroken the NHL has not seen fit to give them a team, they can take heart in the fact they are only one point behind the Leafs.

Q: What's the difference between the Toronto Maple Leafs and a cigarette vending machine?
A: The vending machine has Players!

Q: What do the Toronto Maple Leafs and The Titanic have in common?
A: They both sink when they hit the ice!

Q: What’s two feet wide, thirty feet long, and sleeps twenty-three people?
A: The Leafs bench.

A first grade teacher explains to her class that she is a Leaf fan. She asks her students to raise their hands if they were Leaf fans too. Not really knowing what a Leaf fan was but wanting to be like their teacher, their hands explode into the air like fleshy fireworks. There is, however, one exception. One girl has not gone along with the crowd. The teacher asks her why she has decided to be different.
"Because. I'm not a Leaf fan."
Then, asks the teacher, what are you?
"Why I'm proud to be a Montreal Canadiens fan," boasts the little girl.
The teacher is a little perturbed now, her face slightly red. She asks the girl why she is a Canadiens fan.
"Well, my Dad and Mom are Canadiens fans, and I'm a Canadiens fan too."
The teacher is now angry. "That's no reason," she says loudly. "What if your Mom was a moron and your dad was a moron. What would you be then?"
A pause and a smile. "Then," says the girl, "I'd be a Leaf fan!"

One morning in elementary school, the students were going to a geography class. The teacher wanted to show the students where cities and states are. The teacher asks the class, "Does anyone know where Pittsburgh is?" Billy raises up his hand and says, "Yeah, Pennsylvania!". The teacher replies, "Very good, Billy!, now can anyone tell me were Detroit is?" Suzy raises her hand and says, "That's in Michigan!" The teacher again says, "Very good." Trying to confuse the children, she now asks, "Where's Toronto?" Tommy raises his hand and says, "Oh Oh Pick me!!!, I know?" The teacher says, "OK, Tommy where is Toronto?" "Last place."

Q: What do the Leafs and a TV evangelist have in common?
A: They each have the ability to make 20,000 people stand up and yell "Jesus Christ!"

Since we're on a roll, a couple of oldies but goldies:

Q: Why won't they let Hamilton have an NHL team?
A: Because then Toronto would want one too.

And going waaaay back to the first George Bush era:
Stormin' Norman Swartzkopf (?sp) was walking through the desert in the Middle East during the first Gulf War. His foot stumbled on something solid, so he bends down and sees there is a lantern in the sand. He picks it up and starts wiping the sand off, and out pops a genie. "Hello!" says the genie, "I am a great and all powerful genie who can grant you one wish! What wish would you like to come true?". Norman pulls a map of the Middle East out of his back pocket and answers, "I'd like to see long lasting peace over this entire area; can you do anything to help out with that?". The genie scratches his head and says, "That's a pretty hard one. These people have been fighting for thousands of years. Even with my great powers I'm not sure I could overcome all their feuds and battles. Isn't there anything else you would like?". Norman pauses and thinks, then says: "Well, it has been a long time since the Toronto Maple Leafs won the Stanley Cup....". The genie looks at him, sighs, and says "Let's take a look at that map again...."

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this, but it has to do with Montreal, U2 and football, so why not.

A few weeks ago, my daughter was reading an article on the AV Club's website, about how Canadians felt betrayed when Gretzky was traded to LA, and she came across the story of how U2 "saved" the CFL, while reading the comments. The original post is about 3/4 of the way down the page.

"Kings Ransom" | TV | The A.V. Club

Montreal's original CFL team folded in a disastrous manner in the late 1980s. When the CFL expanded to the US, the only success out of the bunch was the Baltimore Colts / CFLers / Stallions (the story of the name is a long one by itself), but when the remainder of the US teams folded Baltimore was moved back to Montreal instead, playing once more in the cavernous and decrepit Olympic Stadium.

In spite of being a great team, anyone who follows baseball knows how much Montrealers hated the Big O / Owe / OW by this point, so no one was showing up. The CFL as a whole was struggling at this point, with no clear signs that a new national TV contract was forthcoming beyond CBC's minimal rights fees.

Well, when they made the playoffs it turned out that U2 had the stadium booked for the entire weekend. Desperate, Montreal decided to play at Molson stadium on McGill's campus, which is basically a bunch of bleachers. They sold the game out, and suddenly football was popular in Montreal again. The next year they played all their games there and sold out every one, which has continued to this day. Playoff games, ironically enough, are at Olympic Stadium - only now, they sell THOSE out too.

The rise of football's popularity in Quebec, coinciding with baseball dying a slow death, saw ratings for all CFL games shoot up, leading to a new national TSN contract that stabilised the league, and in fact it's probably healthier now than it's been at any point since the 1970s since it's a ratings powerhouse for TSN.

But TSN wouldn't have jumped on-board like it did (ratings were hovering around the anaemic level TSN drew for non-Raptors NBA games) if Quebec hadn't gotten behind the Als, and Quebec wouldn't have gotten behind the Als had the tickets become such a hot commodity, and the tickets wouldn't have become a hot commodity had U2 not booked the stadium and forced the Als to move their game.

In other words, that's how U2 saved the CFL. And now you know.

Wikipedia seems to confirm this story:

Montreal Alouettes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When a scheduled November 1997 U2 concert conflicted with an unexpected home play-off game against the BC Lions (due to the CFL's 'cross-over' playoff format), the team decided to return temporarily to Molson Stadium, where they had played from 1954 to 1967. Interest in the team soared and the game was sold out, prompting the team to relocate permanently to the smaller venue beginning with the 1998 season. Since 1999, the Alouettes have sold out every game at the 20,202-seat stadium, located on the campus of McGill University. Currently, there are plans to enlarge the stadium's capacity.

Prior to every Sunday home game, the club plays "Sunday Bloody Sunday" over the PA system in tribute to the unintended role U2 played in saving the franchise.

Cool, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom