WHY bring back a lottery system?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I should think that U2 would WANT the real die-hard fans up front. After all, they're usually the ones who are most into it...IMO. Nothing worse, I'm sure, from the band's perspective than a lame crowd in the ellipse, etc. On this tour I don't think they'll have the problem of seeing the same faces show after show. I think the state of the economy and the fact that the stage revolves will take care of that. I don't think they'll have a lottery this time.

they probably WANT some of the alleged die-hard fans to stop stalking them.

it's a pretty safe bet that most of those who buy GA tickets are, at the very least, fans... just because some of them are not as dangerously obsessive as others doesn't make them any less of fans.

I think the state of the economy and the fact that the stage revolves will take care of that. I don't think they'll have a lottery this time.

I hope they clarify it before the first show this time. As of now it appears they are thinking of the lottery although it doesn't specify if it's for Europe and the US or just the US.

Exclusive: U2 Readies '360' Global Tour

On-sales will begin in Europe in mid-March, and North American on-sales will start in late March/early April. U2 will also resurrect its random upgrade program first seen on the Elevation tour in 2001, where select fans purchasing GA tickets will be moved closest to the stage.

As usual the so called journalist who wrote the article doesn't know that the "random upgrade program" was first seen on Vertigo, not Elevation.

Last edited:
So are they doing a lottery for the 360 tour? Since the stage is "in the round" are all front row spots equally good or does the band primarily face one way, OR does anyone know at this point?
I guess we will know after the first European shows. And how about camping out? I know Soldier Field has strict policies on tail-gating and they have really cracked down.... I don't know if this will affect the GA campers or not.
peace
u.f.

yes they are doing the lottery it's just not clear whether its for both Europe and US or just the US.

Don't feel bad. During one of my first up close experiences on the Elevation tour, I had a similar thing happen. I made a sign with the lyrics..." I'm only asking, but I ...think you know" IT was glitzy and cool. I would hold it up on occasion, between songs for a very short period....like about 5 to 10 seconds. I was about 8 rows back from the stage. At one point he looked at me in the middle of a song and said..."put down the sign"!!! I was devastated. I felt like I had been scolded in front of 20,000 people. Anyhow, after they were done, he came over to the side of the stage, knelt down and waved me over. He told me....." the lyrics to that song were sticking in my head and it was messing me up". He apologized.
But, nonetheless, I felt like I had been crushed! What an awful feeling. Believe me, he doesn't remember. He must have been in one of his "moods"
peace,
u.f.

Aww, :hug:

I could see how that would mess him up because I was humming the tune the moment I read what you wrote on your sign. Nice of him to apologize though!

And yes, I concur with all the other posters pleading with U2 to release the info PRIOR to the start date - everyone in San Diego was up in arms, trying to figure out the system. I was too sick to sleep out overnight for that first show, unlike hoardes of others, so needless to say, I was pleased it was a lottery.

Yeah I'm not really understanding the 'die hard fan' comments. I'm a die hard fan but dont always think I want to sleep on the concrete all night/day just to try to get up front?

I'm uncomfortable with some of the "diehard fan" insinuations and the implication that you need to prove your fan status by queuing overnight for a load of gigs or whatever. I find this especially distasteful when you consider that some people physically can't handle such extreme queuing. As a post early in the thread said, getting a good spot to see your favourite band shouldn't be a physical endurance contest. For the record, I actually had to be treated for heatstroke by paramedics before Vertigo Brisbane due to the queuing conditions. I was just lucky that one of the paramedics was a very tall, intimidating Canadian guy who forced the venue staff to retain my place in line and I got into the inner zone.

Honestly, I'm getting the impression that some people just want this and want that, and how dare the lottery get in the way of their sense of entitlement. I don't mean to imply I think the following about anybody in this thread (in fact, I'd say this has been one of our better, calmer lottery threads), but I see some so-called die-hards and think "OK, you want a lot from the band and the fan community, but what have you given?"

I hope they do the lottery.

I went to enough shows back during the Elevation Tour to see the same people over and over again, and not just on this continent either. And they always slept outside, to the point where at one show I was at, not a single person in the first 40 in the line up was from the city that the band was performing in (in fact most of them were from another country and probably half I'd seen before). I think there's something a bit demented about that.

Besides, you'll get your choice rail spot if you sleep outside and don't get beeped in. I actually chose that spot at least 3 times because it gives you a different view and is in a lot of ways better than the inside. So no big deal.

I fully agree with this post. The lottery system is needed to prevent the same group of people being up front EVERY night. I know which group you are talking about, I ran into them during the elevation tour and they were downright rude and demented. On nights when there was another show the next day in the same place, they left the shows before the 1st encore so they could be first in line again, and they had made it onto U2's security "watch list". The band at one point even mentioned that they were tired of seeing the same 40 people up front every night. They get a bit more inspired by fresh faces.

I'm uncomfortable with some of the "diehard fan" insinuations and the implication that you need to prove your fan status by queuing overnight for a load of gigs or whatever. I find this especially distasteful when you consider that some people physically can't handle such extreme queuing. As a post early in the thread said, getting a good spot to see your favourite band shouldn't be a physical endurance contest. For the record, I actually had to be treated for heatstroke by paramedics before Vertigo Brisbane due to the queuing conditions. I was just lucky that one of the paramedics was a very tall, intimidating Canadian guy who forced the venue staff to retain my place in line and I got into the inner zone.

Honestly, I'm getting the impression that some people just want this and want that, and how dare the lottery get in the way of their sense of entitlement. I don't mean to imply I think the following about anybody in this thread (in fact, I'd say this has been one of our better, calmer lottery threads), but I see some so-called die-hards and think "OK, you want a lot from the band and the fan community, but what have you given?"

good point. many so called diehards think they are so inspired by the general message in U2's lyrics of peace and love and giving, but they never actually practice any of these beliefs. It's more like "yea peace and love for everyone as long as I get what I want first.

I fully agree with this post. The lottery system is needed to prevent the same group of people being up front EVERY night. I know which group you are talking about, I ran into them during the elevation tour and they were downright rude and demented. On nights when there was another show the next day in the same place, they left the shows before the 1st encore so they could be first in line again, and they had made it onto U2's security "watch list". The band at one point even mentioned that they were tired of seeing the same 40 people up front every night. They get a bit more inspired by fresh faces.

co-signed. of the 7 or 8 GA shows I did on that tour I saw the very same thing.

good point. many so called diehards think they are so inspired by the general message in U2's lyrics of peace and love and giving, but they never actually practice any of these beliefs. It's more like "yea peace and love for everyone as long as I get what I want first.

Haha, someone should do a paper about this. How come these huge U2 fans are some of the worst people you could ever meet? Bit of a disconnect there, I think, but maybe not?

I think the tour can bring out the best and worst in people. some of these so-called 'line nazis' did a very good job of trying to redeem themselves last tour. i appreciate that. after a while everybody grows up - even if its only a little. it's best not to take it all too seriously and go with the flow. U2 know what they are doing. hardcore fans will always be on the front rail if they stick with either of the systems from the previous 2 tours. if they don't want them there, they won't be there.

the thing i dont like about the lottery is that it's about more than just luck. some people know how to work the system and get 3, 4, or 5 of their friends in if they can shmooze the right people on the way in. either have a set system with the same rules at every show for every person, or don't have a lottery at all.

if they are going to do a lottery again this year, i'd be thrilled if they followed the springsteen model. there is no way to cheat that system, people dont have to wait outside all day, and it guarantees different people in front every time, unlike u2's system where the same people still somehow got up front every show.

the thing i dont like about the lottery is that it's about more than just luck. some people know how to work the system and get 3, 4, or 5 of their friends in if they can shmooze the right people on the way in. either have a set system with the same rules at every show for every person, or don't have a lottery at all.

if they are going to do a lottery again this year, i'd be thrilled if they followed the springsteen model. there is no way to cheat that system, people dont have to wait outside all day, and it guarantees different people in front every time, unlike u2's system where the same people still somehow got up front every show.

yes, yes and yes! Couldn't agree more. The inconsistency on the the rules to getting into the ellipse was so abused. Probably worked for the first few shows if that and then it went downhill from there.

The Springsteen option (mentioned it in this thread) would be ideal and truly random thus achieving what the intention of the lottery system was actually for. i.e. getting fresh faces in front on a more regular basis.. IMO :shrug:

how does the springsteen system work?

You show up like an hour or two before the show, get a wristband with a number, then line up. Like 15 mintues before the doors open, they draw a random number, that person becomes number 1 in line. So if you were 165th and they draw the number 165, then you are first to go in, 166 is second, 167 is third and the rest follow in order.

There is no incentive to wait in line all day, and it guarantees different people up front every time, unless someone is amazingly lucky of course.

You show up like an hour or two before the show, get a wristband with a number, then line up. Like 15 mintues before the doors open, they draw a random number, that person becomes number 1 in line. So if you were 165th and they draw the number 165, then you are first to go in, 166 is second, 167 is third and the rest follow in order.

There is no incentive to wait in line all day, and it guarantees different people up front every time, unless someone is amazingly lucky of course.

that sounds good to me, very straightforward and fair

I haven't read through this entire thread, so forgive me if this is a repeat of what's already been said:

It was pretty clear during Vertigo that the "random" system wasn't random at all, and in fact favoured people coming close to show time to get into the ellipse; near the beginning of the line, very few people got scanned in, but close to show time, just about every other person gets scanned in. Yet, somehow, despite seeing this trend over and over, the diehard fans who camped out show after show didn't seem to get the message that THERE IS NO NEED TO CAMP OUT ALL DAY . Now, before you all pounce on me, I'll admit that I was in the same boat - I stood in line all day for each of the GA shows I went to, only because I couldn't bear the thought of risking waiting until the last minute to show up, and failing to get into the ellipse. I mean, I figured that at worst, I'd be on the outer rail, which was perfectly good place to be, so it made camping out all day worthwhile. But really, the system was meant to discourage camping out all day, but we were just too blind to see it....

Now, the Bruce Springsteen method, that WOULD discourage camping out all day. It's the same method used by Ticketmaster retail outlets on first day of sales, and is quite effective in that regard. But it would frustrate many die-hard U2 fans, because it would take away any element of control they have over getting close to the stage....

IYet, somehow, despite seeing this trend over and over, the diehard fans who camped out show after show didn't seem to get the message that THERE IS NO NEED TO CAMP OUT ALL DAY . .

I can't really agree with that. You could waltz in an hour before the show and get into the Ellipse - great! Or you could waltz in an hour before the show and not get in, and now you're stuck in the middle of the pack (or the back of the floor, which isn't a bad place to be either).

But if you were near the front of the line and didn't scan in, you're still pretty much guaranteed a top notch spot.

So I can certainly understand the desire to still wait in line despite the lottery.

On nights when there was another show the next day in the same place, they left the shows before the 1st encore so they could be first in line again, and they had made it onto U2's security "watch list". The band at one point even mentioned that they were tired of seeing the same 40 people up front every night. They get a bit more inspired by fresh faces.

yeah didn't these people showing up every night protest or something when U2 tried to get them replaced??

yeah didn't these people showing up every night protest or something when U2 tried to get them replaced??

that's right, they actually had protested when U2 tried to get them out of the front after seeing thier faces every night, not to mention they were stinky and ragged by showtime

haha thought so. I don't have U2byU2 to hand so can't check it, but if the band are getting tired of seeing you every night, surely that's big enough a hint to just let other people have a shot at it for once :lol:

I keep hoping for a mud wrestling contest to determine who gets the prime GA spots. :)

That sounds pretty fair to me.

Back
Top Bottom