Who should U2 take on tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Simple Minds would be great and have a new album due out in the spring

In the UK at least realistically i can see the likes of White Lies(Main support), Fleet Foxes, The Courteeners (Manchester), Glasvegas (Glasgow/Edinburgh) They seem to fit the type of bands U2 would go for

For UK + Europe - The Doves and Starsailor
For ASIA - Franz Ferdinand
FOR South America - Kasabian
For USA & CAN - Kasabian & The Doves
For AUS & NZ- Starsailor

+ time for 8 nights at a venue which can hold 500,000 alternating the headline spot with Oasis + Special guests including Paul Weller, Travis, Glasvegas and The White Lies:up:

For UK + Europe - The Doves and Starsailor
For ASIA - Franz Ferdinand
FOR South America - Kasabian
For USA & CAN - Kasabian & The Doves
For AUS & NZ- Starsailor

+ time for 8 nights at a venue which can hold 500,000 alternating the headline spot with Oasis + Special guests including Paul Weller, Travis, Glasvegas and The White Lies:up:

There's a nice band to open for U2: Oasis

They could also be cleaning the stage when the show's over. :wink:

As the starter of this thread proposed, Duke Special. He's awesome.

Or, Afro Celt Sound System. They'd be my first choice, except they're on hiatus right now.

There's a nice band to open for U2: Oasis

They could also be cleaning the stage when the show's over. :wink:
They did in 1997/8 - probably upstaged u2!
I would not be happy if Oasis supported anyone other than U2
But only in the USA
Oasis can hold their own elsewhere
Really hope they play a festival together - it would be one for the DVD collection!

There were rumours during Elevation tour of a Double-Headline tour between the 2- that would be amazing!
U2 Elevation Tour - Standing on the stages with giants

Here is a review of the U2-Oasis USA tour in 1997
The Daily Telegraph Newspaper: June 26, 1997

Key Quotes
"
"I love stadium gigs," Noel declares afterwards, backstage, eyes shining. "There's just so many people. How many bands can do this? How many?" He looks defiant, as he proposes a topsy-turvy theory of the rock world - "U2 and Oasis are the underground and everybody else is the mainstream. Because they're all afraid to be big. They're afraid of success!"

"Liam and Noel stand at the mixing desk, watching wide-eyed. Never regarded as the most articulate of people, Liam nonetheless has a distinctive way of expressing himself. "This is the first time I've seen U2," he says. "Now I understand! It's . . . phwoarghghghgh!" He shakes his head in disbelief, and makes a second attempt to verbalise his enthusiasm. "F**' mad, man. Mad!" U2 and Oasis have formed something of a mutual admiration society."

"The Edge nods approvingly. "People say Oasis songs are obvious, but the way the melodies relate to the chords is quite unusual," he observes. "You get the feeling you have heard the songs before, but they still surprise you."

"And then, with startling synchronicity, the minibus radio, tuned to a late-night station, begins to play U2's 1992 hit One. "This is the greatest song ever written!" yells Noel. And he and Liam begin to sing at the top of their voices. Bono, swept along by their exuberance, joins in. As we roll down a San Francisco highway, three of the world's greatest rock stars treat us to an impassioned rendition of a song of unity and brotherly love. "We are one," they sing, "but we're not the same, we've got to carry each other, carry each other . . ."

As the track comes to an end, Bono laughs and hugs Noel's shoulders. "Bands won't admit they like you, right, and you're the greatest band in the world," declares Noel, "and the only band that will actually come out and admit that is the next greatest band in the world!"

Oh shit! That'd be AWESOME as support act in Dublin!

Please no Nickelback or Oasis. :crack: That's almost as bad as Coldplay.

And you know what? Their guitarist, Dennis, is just like us, a real U2 nerd. And their singer Dave was in Larry's parallel class or something. I can see this happening, but more likley in the US. But who knows. :up:

And you know what? Their guitarist, Dennis, is just like us, a real U2 nerd. And their singer Dave was in Larry's parallel class or something. I can see this happening, but more likley in the US. But who knows. :up:

I never knew that! Would be great. They have to play their version of Kiss my Irish Arse! :up: Perhaps Every Dog Has its Days too.

Fleet Foxes
Editors
Glasvegas
Ting Tings
Snow Patrol
Lily Allen
Franz Ferdinand
John Legend
Elbow
Animal Collective (though I think they are fucking overrated)

I seriously believe (based on music and timing of new albums to promote) that it will be Doves or Grizzly Bear. Fleet Foxes will be asked, but Pecknold will politely turn them down.

Please, please, please, please, please, please

No Fleet Foxes,

please

Back
Top Bottom